Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X1 E84 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Issues with Shutting engine off, and Automatic Door Locks (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667146)

jbone907 12-31-2012 10:07 AM

Issues with Shutting engine off, and Automatic Door Locks

Hi all,

After having a few days to drive my X1 around and configure some settings, I noticed that shutting down / exiting the car seems to be a lengthy process, or maybe I'm just missing something?

First, I have to press the engine start/stop button twice: Once to shut the engine off, and then a second time to shut down the radio and everything else. Otherwise, when I get out and shut the door, all this stuff is still on.

I also have my doors set to automatically lock after I start driving. Problem is, they don't automatically unlock when I am done driving.

So basically my shutdown procedure involves pressing the start button to stop the engine; pressing it again to stop the radio; then pressing the central door lock/unlock button so I can open my door. If I don't do this, then I have to use the door handle twice; once to unlock the door, and a second time to open it. havign to routinely press three buttons seems unnecessarily complex for shutting down the car and exiting it.

Am I missing something, or is ending your drive with the X1 really this complicated? Are the doors supposed to unlock when you've shut everything down? On my other cars, shutting down / unlocking / exiting the vehicle is decidedly simple (only one button press - which stops the car, shuts off radio/etc upon door opening, and unlocks doors) and doesn't require a "checklist." Anything I can do to simplify this at all?

Thanks!

HotRodW 12-31-2012 10:26 AM

If you press and hold the stop/start button, it will shut off the engine first and then the auxiliary power. No need to press the button twice. I cannot comment on the unlocking because I do not have my doors set to auto lock. Maybe holding the button will unlock the doors as well? Give it a try and let us know.

jbone907 12-31-2012 10:38 AM

Hmm, thanks for the tip. I will give that a shot next time I head out to the car. If it doesn't address the door locking issue, I suppose I can always simply disable the auto-locking in the first place.

Thank you for the quick reply!

raleedy 12-31-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotRodW (Post 7281157)
If you press and hold the stop/start button, it will shut off the engine first and then the auxiliary power. No need to press the button twice. I cannot comment on the unlocking because I do not have my doors set to auto lock. Maybe holding the button will unlock the doors as well? Give it a try and let us know.

This is true for some older models, apparently including the X1. On the more recently designed ones, like the F25 and F30, a long press does no more than a short press. But on those cars (as well as older models), once the engine is shut off, exiting the car and locking it will shut down the rest of the electricals, so the second press is, to that extent, not necessary.

As far as the door locks are concerned, there are a couple of solutions. The one I favor is to disable the auto-locking. Driving around with the doors locked serves no useful purpose that I can see. Another possible approach is to code the car's computer system to unlock the doors automatically when the car is shut off or put in Park or whatever. This can be done, apparently, and is a standard feature in some markets.

One last option: an impact strong enough to deploy airbags will also unlock the doors. So there's that . . . .

HotRodW 12-31-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raleedy (Post 7281241)
This is true for older models, but not for those equipped with Auto Start/Stop. A long press does no more than a short press.

Please define "older" models. I have a 2013 with ASS, and a press and hold is all I have to do to shut everything down.

jbone907 12-31-2012 11:26 AM

Thanks for the additional info. I figure the auto-door-locking is certainly not essential, but it's been more or less standard on my past vehicles so I guess I'm just really used to it. But it's nice to know that I can unlock the doors by crashing hard enough! :D

Between possibly disabling that, and the few tips you both have suggested, it looks like sorting this out may be a bit easier than I thought.

raleedy 12-31-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotRodW (Post 7281268)
Please define "older" models. I have a 2013 with ASS, and a press and hold is all I have to do to shut everything down.

Whoops, well, then, I guess "older models" include the E84, which has been around outside the US for several years. F10, F25, F30 don't have the "long press" like my E92.

conceyted 12-31-2012 05:17 PM

A double pull on the door handle should unlock the doors in your car. Also, as others have mentioned, you either press stop once and then lock your car to turn off your accessories, or you press and hold stop to do so.

jbone907 12-31-2012 06:06 PM

Well guys, I verified that holding the start button for a split second longer does indeed shut off everything else. Good enough for me! I love these simple problems where it turns out to be pilot error, and not a fault of the device. :D