Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   E90 Suspension Upgrade: Opinions (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667223)

sle39lvr 12-31-2012 06:29 PM

E90 Suspension Upgrade: Opinions

Car:
-08 E90
-Non-Sports
-70K Miles

Mods:
-None

Wheels/Tires:
-OEM 18" Staggered Set up (Style 162)
-Michelin PSS

Current To-Buy List:
- SilverLine Plus X Coilover System - Adjustable Dampening (Link)
- M3 Front Control Arms (Link)

Future Wish List:
- M3 Rear Sway Bar
- M3 Front Sway Bar (After front one, if needed)
- M3 Rear Subframe Bushings
- M3 Rear Control Arm Bushings (at the very end...)

What I don't like currently:
I know this is the base model, but even for that this car is too soft but under-damped. Suspension has 'skipping' effect and feel floaty on highway. Worst is the steering. It feels over boosted and sloppy mid-corner. Steering has no feel (comparatively) and same with the rear end. Car understeers more than any other and I know I do have staggered and sticky rubber being culprits. I know most of these issues are due to BMW calibrating the car for RFT's.

What I want:
FEEL! I want more steering feel..more road feel. Of douse, I want the car to handle better, but that's secondary. I want this keep this car few at least 4 more years and def for over 150K miles. I have been doing thorough research and above list is what I came up with minimum cost for most gain. I do not track this car, just spirited driving. E46 ZSP is my Holy-Grail.

Due to my current financial situation and to getaway with minimum alignments after installs, I decided to go with control arms and coil-overs first. So with those two items, what do I need to replace while I am at it? Shock mounts? Are there M3 shock mounts that would fit? Please give me some detail on this.

PS: Above coil-overs are listed as back-ordered on ECS and says ETA is April. Anyone know the truth to this? Anywhere else I can buy these?

CALWATERBOY 12-31-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sle39lvr (Post 7281831)
What I want:
FEEL! I want more steering feel..more road feel. Of douse, I want the car to handle better, but that's secondary. I want this keep this car few at least 4 more years and def for over 150K miles. I have been doing thorough research and above list is what I came up with minimum cost for most gain. I do not track this car, just spirited driving. E46 ZSP is my Holy-Grail.

You're on the right track....try E90POST for answers + many DIY experienced suspension folks.

[EDIT....see you did!]

My effort here.

x3brian 12-31-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sle39lvr (Post 7281831)
E46 ZSP is my Holy-Grail.

ZHP...those mafia boys might come after you ;)

I agree your on the right track. Keep us updated if you hit it!

Saintor 01-01-2013 08:31 AM

Given your findings about the way your car behaves, I suspect that you have bad struts on your car. Lowering my suspension did wonders for the agility of my car. Not sure you need adjustable coils in South Florida, but since the kit seems to includes new struts, 1200$ is not bad.

ECSTuning 01-09-2013 01:59 PM

The SilverLine Plus X coilovers (LINK) are not on backorder, they just take a rather long time to come in from FK once ordered. We update the ETA on them daily to keep you informed on the time frame associated with FK products we don't have in stock here at ECS.

sle39lvr 01-09-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECSTuning (Post 7301469)
The SilverLine Plus X coilovers (LINK) are not on backorder, they just take a rather long time to come in from FK once ordered. We update the ETA on them daily to keep you informed on the time frame associated with FK products we don't have in stock here at ECS.

I see. Thanks.