Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E60 M5 (2006 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Opinion on Salvage title cars, my friend is looking at one but (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667238)

s4play 12-31-2012 07:55 PM

Opinion on Salvage title cars, my friend is looking at one but

I'm warning him to stay away!

He's looking at some 2006 M5's and found a blue 06 with roughly 47k miles. Seller wants $23k but I think that is too high given the title issue.

What are clean title ones selling for these days?

Would you guys buy a salvage title car? I would not even consider it given the car's high tech electronics and number of costly things that can go wrong....

luckydog 12-31-2012 10:06 PM

Everything is a salvage anymore . A fender bender in these type of cars is salvage. I think its a great way to get a bargain on a car just because it may have 85% of its value on a over estimate of the repair.:)

TannerT 01-01-2013 01:25 PM

I drive a salvage title. However mine got stollen in Tennessee. I also had it inspected really well. They can be dreams for a great price (mine,) or an absolute nightmare. He needs to get it checked out and figure out what exactly totaled it. It is not hard to total cars that are over 3-4 years old. If it was all cosmetic (bumpers, fenders, bent wheels) go for it. If it was any sort of frame damage electrical or engine failure I'd stay away. I have actually been looking at buying an e60 M and with ~50k miles I'd say 30 ish would be a good price bit a salvage title really hurts the value of a car and can cause insurance problems. Regaurdless of how nice the car is after the total loss the seller must realize the extra hassel it can cause a buyer. I may be wrong but I think the accepted fair price for a salvage car is 70% or the actual value. That is how I got a great 330Ci with 80k for $7.5K

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App

Lef8or 01-21-2013 10:38 AM

I'm also thinking about buying salvage title car, I was looking at 1972 BMW at this website but I'm still in two minds, some friends tell me to stay away from it and others say that it is a good way to save money and there is nothing to be afraid of as long as the damage is not severe.

moods14 01-21-2013 02:16 PM

My car has a branded title that I knew about. Bought back by BMW for a window trip malfunction. Got a sweet ass deal because the rear windows do not go down all the way. haha

07 E63650i 01-25-2013 07:14 PM

I'd stay away from it unless you plan on keeping it forever. With a salvage title, it's going to be difficult to sell the car when you do not want it anymore.

bluebee 02-19-2013 01:20 AM

We've covered that issue on the E39 side a few times:
- What is your opinion on buying a BMW with a salvage title (1) (2) (3) (4)