Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1982 - 1993) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Restoring E30, No Spark... (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667339)

528i 0WN3R 01-01-2013 02:17 PM

Restoring E30, No Spark...

So my latest project is a 92 325i e30, it's been sitting in a barn for about 9 years and I'm trying to get it running again. So far I have changed the oil and filter, spark plugs, emptied and refilled the gas tank, fuel filter, added injector cleaner, new battery, coolant flush, changed power steering fluid, air filter, checked all the fuses, topped off the brake fluid, and of course pumped up the tires. The car ran fine when it was parked back in 04 but when I tried to start it the engine would turn over, and sounded healthy, but wouldn't start. I pulled one of the spark plugs to see if there was any spark but it wouldn't fire. Any ideas on what would cause this? All of the electrical connections looked good. If the immobilizer is preventing the car from starting would it allow it to turn over? Also when I had all of the spark plug boots disconnected from the plugs a friend tried to start it not realizing the boots were not connected. Would this have done any damage? Thanks for the help, clearly I don't know much about the electrical side of an engine :(

hornhospital 01-01-2013 03:48 PM

Test the crank position sensor. Also, can you tell if it's firing the injectors? How about fuel pressure?

If it were the immobilizer, turning the key would do nothing. No spinning of the engine at all, just the idiot lights come on.

First time 01-01-2013 08:31 PM

^this. The crank sensor is what the DME is looking for in order to start the car. These have been known to go bad and/or operate intermittantly.

_Ethrty-Andy_ 01-01-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hornhospital (Post 7283201)
Test the crank position sensor. Also, can you tell if it's firing the injectors? How about fuel pressure?

If it were the immobilizer, turning the key would do nothing. No spinning of the engine at all, just the idiot lights come on.

does depend on how/who wired it up, but your right in most cases. an E30 can engauge and turn over starter motor even with no ECU connected

SWISS 01-02-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ethrty-Andy_ (Post 7283875)
does depend on how/who wired it up, but your right in most cases. an E30 can engauge and turn over starter motor even with no ECU connected

He was talking about the factory drive away protection not an aftermarket alarm system, what you folks ( and Brits too) dub " immobilizers". In the states, we just call them alarms.

My $ is on CPS or DME, would also be a good idea to check the cap and rotor.

528i 0WN3R 01-02-2013 11:45 AM

Ok thanks guys, I'll see if I cant test it, also on these cars will the tachometer move if you are just cranking it? This might prove its the CPS...

hornhospital 01-02-2013 01:17 PM

No, the tach won't react until it's running.

BMWFatherFigure 01-02-2013 10:07 PM

Damage to the HT spark system depends on how long you turned it over for and if a spark was ok when you started that proceedure. I've seen both 'buggered up' and 'got away with it' for the same time cranking.

jorgE30 01-19-2013 07:03 AM

I had a similar problem try testing the ignition coil for spark, try changing the crank position sensor, I did both and still didn't start, so I changed the engine relay and it started, Doh

Also pull apart your glove box and look for an immobiliser or you can pull up the back seat and see if you have a relay for it, if you have one and the battery has gone flat for a long time you may need to re-set it or by pass it, like I had to.

Good Luck

BMWFatherFigure 01-19-2013 10:00 PM

Imobolisers just stop the car starting - Alarms make a noise.