Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E34 (1989 - 1995) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   help need. strust size 1989 535i (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667588)

hdbtony 01-02-2013 05:26 PM

help need. strust size 1989 535i

Want to buy coils but need strut size ?!?!?

robertobaggio20 01-02-2013 06:12 PM

Less akin to " wanna buy bra but need cup size" and more like " Wanna buy shoes but need bra size ! " LOLOLOL

For heaven's sake, please write normally, please tell the whole story, if not nobody will bother replying to you anywhere. :)

hdbtony 01-02-2013 06:27 PM

That was funny okay your right
I need to find what my strut size for my suspension
For my 1989 535i I looked around google and said it should be the same as an e30 which is 51mm
But I'm not sure ?

snowsled7 01-02-2013 07:09 PM

Why not order springs by vehicle application? There are tons of choices... H&R, Eibach, Bav Auto, Vogtland, Lowtech, and probably a couple of others. You can rest assured, they wont ask you for your strut size;)

hdbtony 01-02-2013 07:41 PM

I thought about it but I'm kinda of a crazy driver so I wany my handling to improve by a lot and it would get rid of most of my body roll in turns

robertobaggio20 01-02-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdbtony (Post 7285851)
I thought about it but I'm kinda of a crazy driver so I wany my handling to improve by a lot and it would get rid of most of my body roll in turns

You could use a front strut bar, that will get rid of a tremendous amount of body roll quickly, but be forwarned, the car will be less exciting once it is installed, and in terms of vehicular stability geometry-wise I don't think it makes much any difference....

hdbtony 01-02-2013 07:52 PM

Yeah idk about that then
But I still havny found the strut size -.-
Called bmw earlier today and they didnt know just the weight ect .
Some one said it was like an e30 51mm but idk -.-

BMWFatherFigure 01-02-2013 10:56 PM

E30 use different strut inserts depending on engine size. Here is a radical suggestion - take your strut insert out and measure it. While it is out go to the local suspension shop and buy the replacement of your choice - performance or standard. This has worked for me in the past.....

snowsled7 01-03-2013 04:43 AM

Or if you are truely serious about being a road racer, buy a set of coil overs and set it up as you wish. Again, you will not really need the measurement you are looking for.

Do you plan on using this as a track car? If not, just about any of the sets listed with lower the car, reduce body roll and improve you handling. Going any further is a waste of time because if you go much stiffer the car will be miserable on the road.

Radian 01-03-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdbtony (Post 7285851)

Nope. :thumbdwn:

First off, improving the sway bar bushings is really what's important. Replacing the stock ones with Energy Suspension's better design will make a dramatic change. Switching out to an M5 bar from a salvage yard would be an excellent score. Getting real spendy with a Racing Dynamics sway bar kit would have the car handling like it's absolutely on rails, even with the stock 15's.

If that doesn't put a smile on your face, then the next stop would be a set of Koni or Bilstein dampers. :drive:

Any positive change in the sway bar performance will add to the spring rate during during cornering...with only a comparatively minor reduction in asymmetrical bump response. That's what you're really looking for. :thumbup:

I highly recommend leaving the springs alone unless they're completely unserviceable or you're trying to drop the trim height (which also won't reduce roll as much as messing with sway bar).