Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   What engine (n20/n54/n55) does 2011 BMW 328i have? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667635)

drewski554 01-02-2013 08:52 PM

What engine (n20/n54/n55) does 2011 BMW 328i have?
 
quick q: n20/n54/n55: which engine does 2011 bmw 328i sedan have?

tturedraider 01-02-2013 09:01 PM

N52, naturally aspirated 3.0 liter inline six.

PartyBoyWA 01-02-2013 10:16 PM

or possibly the N51 South Africa SULEV:dunno:

SD Z4MR 01-02-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewski554 (Post 7286014)
quick q: n20/n54/n55: which engine does 2011 bmw 328i sedan have?

These are the gasoline engines that are/were available in the E9x and F30:
N20: 2.0L twin-scroll single turbocharged inline four cylinder, 240 HP (2013 F30 328i)
N52: 3.0L normally aspirated inline six cylinder, 230 HP (E9x 328i)
N54: 3.0L twin-turbocharged inline six cylinder, 300 HP (E9x 335i) or 320 HP (2011-2013 335is)
N55: 3.0L twin-scroll single turbocharged inline six cylinder, 300 HP (2011-2012 E9x 335i, 2013 F30 335i)

This is the diesel engine that was available in the E90:
M57: 3.0L inline six cylinder, 282 HP (E90 335d)

Full details on all engines can be found in Wikipedia.

the kidd 01-03-2013 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD Z4MR (Post 7286203)
These are the engines that are/were available in the E9x and F30:
N20: 2.0L twin-scroll single turbocharged inline four cylinder, 240 HP (2013 F30 328i)
N52: 3.0L normally aspirated inline six cylinder, 230 HP (E9x 328i)
N54: 3.0L twin-turbocharged inline six cylinder, 300 HP (E9x 335i) or 320 HP (2011-2013 335is)
N55: 3.0L twin-scroll single turbocharged inline six cylinder, 300 HP (2012 E9x 335i, 2013 F30 335i)

Full details on all engines can be found in Wikipedia.

Doesn't the 2011 335 have the N55?

bmw325 01-03-2013 02:06 AM

Yes it does

CALWATERBOY 01-03-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewski554 (Post 7286014)
quick q: n20/n54/n55: which engine does 2011 bmw 328i sedan have?


None.

Is it too much? You spec'd our choices....

SD Z4MR 01-03-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the kidd (Post 7286247)
Doesn't the 2011 335 have the N55?

Fixed in OP. Thanks!

3ismagic# 01-03-2013 09:35 AM

Tom you forgot the M57 335d

SD Z4MR 01-03-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3ismagic# (Post 7286838)
Tom you forgot the M57 335d

Fixed in OP. Thanks!

floydarogers 01-03-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD Z4MR (Post 7286203)
...
N54: 3.0L twin-turbocharged inline six cylinder, 300 HP (E9x 335i) or 320 HP (2011-2013 335is)
...

You can also get 320hp in the N54 with the ZMZ Performance Package upgrade. (You can't get the Overboost though).

DrT 01-03-2013 07:35 PM

I have a 2011 328i and she has the N52: 3.0L normally aspirated inline six cylinder, 230 HP (E9x 328i).

alpinweiss 01-03-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewski554 (Post 7286014)
quick q: n20/n54/n55: which engine does 2011 bmw 328i sedan have?

It will have either the N52 or the N51. If the car was originally sold in MA (or other New England state), there is a good chance it has the N51. The N51 engine is the SULEV version of the N52.

:drive:

drewski554 01-03-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpinweiss (Post 7288321)
It will have either the N52 or the N51. If the car was originally sold in MA (or other New England state), there is a good chance it has the N51. The N51 engine is the SULEV version of the N52.

:drive:

You're RIGHT. Just checked some cars from cars.com and all have N51 engine :(

Is this a good thing or no? Not sure how this will impact my modification list

alpinweiss 01-03-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewski554 (Post 7288373)
You're RIGHT. Just checked some cars from cars.com and all have N51 engine :(

Is this a good thing or no? Not sure how this will impact my modification list

I think the jury is still out on whether the N51 or the N52 is the better engine. The BMW claimed horsepower, torque, and performance are the same.

The N51 has some specialized low-emissions components. These could potentially be expensive in the future. But the emissions warranty on the N51 is either 120,000 or 150,000 miles, depending on the component. The N51 emissions warranty also is more comprehensive than the N52 emissions warranty. Overall, there does not seem to be a compelling reason to prefer one engine over the other.

On the E46 (previous generation 3-Series), the SULEV version (M56 engine) had a completely sealed fuel system, with no serviceable parts. Therefore, when the fuel pump failed, the entire fuel tank and system had to be replaced, at a cost of about $8000. :yikes: Obviously, this is something buyers wish to avoid.

On the E90, all components (fuel pump, etc.) are individually replaceable. So theoretically, there is no post-warranty "ticking timebomb".

:drive:

Thunder Dump 01-04-2013 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpinweiss (Post 7288321)
It will have either the N52 or the N51. If the car was originally sold in MA (or other New England state), there is a good chance it has the N51. The N51 engine is the SULEV version of the N52.

:drive:

The N51 is sold in any state that follows the CARB emissions rules 100% (which right now is New England states and CA).

CALWATERBOY 01-04-2013 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpinweiss (Post 7288493)
On the E46 (previous generation 3-Series), the SULEV version (M56 engine) had a completely sealed fuel system, with no serviceable parts. Therefore, when the fuel pump failed, the entire fuel tank and system had to be replaced, at a cost of about $8000. :yikes: Obviously, this is something buyers wish to avoid.

On the E90, all components (fuel pump, etc.) are individually replaceable. So theoretically, there is no post-warranty "ticking timebomb".


Odd, isn't it. E9x N51's have a specially coated, pollution reducing radiator.

Don't ask me why anyone would want that other than eco crazies....a fortune to replace.

Europeans. Weird.

floydarogers 01-04-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7288863)
...
Don't ask me why anyone would want that other than eco crazies....a fortune to replace.

Europeans. Weird.

No. Californians: Weird. And you're one, where there are eco credits available to manufacturers for selling SULEVs. Explains a lot.:bigpimp:

floydarogers 01-04-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump (Post 7288815)
The N51 is sold in any state that follows the CARB emissions rules 100% (which right now is New England states and CA).

You're completely forgetting (typical east coast perspective) the REST of the west coast: OR & WA.

SD Z4MR 01-04-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpinweiss (Post 7288321)
It will have either the N52 or the N51. If the car was originally sold in MA (or other New England state), there is a good chance it has the N51. The N51 engine is the SULEV version of the N52.

:drive:

Interesting that Wikipedia only mentions the N51 with the E46. No mention of this engine with the E9x. Someone that has more knowledge of this engine than me needs to edit Wikipedia!

Thunder Dump 01-04-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydarogers (Post 7289003)
You're completely forgetting (typical east coast perspective) the REST of the west coast: OR & WA.

I wouldn't ever complain about being left out of a discussion that revolves around California.

drewski554 01-04-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunder dump (Post 7290547)
i wouldn't ever complain about being left out of a discussion that revolves around california.

+1

SD Z4MR 01-04-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump (Post 7290547)
I wouldn't ever complain about being left out of a discussion that revolves around California.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewski554 (Post 7290567)
+1

Yawn. It's supposed to be around 70 tomorrow. I think I'll wash my car in shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops and then drive around all afternoon with my top down. :p

bg702 04-30-2015 06:54 PM

N52k or SULEV n51

wilt 05-02-2015 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewski554 (Post 7286014)
quick q: n20/n54/n55: which engine does 2011 bmw 328i sedan have?

  1. N52: 3.0L normally aspirated inline six cylinder, 230 HP (E9x 328i), 10.7:1 compression, or
  2. N51: 3.0L normally aspirated inline six cylinder SULEV (intake manifold w/o N52 3-stage DISA ), 10:1 compression

The performance should be nearly identical, as peak horsepower and torque numbers are the same, though the N51 has slightly more area under the curve in the low- to mid-range.

Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV): SULEVs are 90% cleaner than the average new vehicle for the model year.

In order to comply with SULEV requirements, the N51 is a variant of the N52 engine. Some of the SULEV measures for the N51 include:
Near engine catalyst with additional underbody catalyst
Secondary air system
Optimized combustion chamber geometry in cylinder head
Modified piston crown for lower compression
Plastic valve cover with integrated crankcase vent valve and separator (from N52KP)
Stainless steel fuel lines with threaded connections
Radiator with "Prem-air" coating
Throttle system - EGAS08 carried over from N52KP
Airbox with Activated carbon filter for EVAP control
Purge system pipes are made from "optimized" plastic
Some degree of additional confusion comes about also due to multiple versions of the 'N52': N52, N52KP

And then N52KP was available in three versions as follows:
N52B30O1 - High Output version with 260hp
N52B30M1 - Medium Output version with 230hp
N52B30U1 - Possible future application with 215hp


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms