Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Replace iPod interface with original CD-changer (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667670)

__co__ 01-03-2013 08:03 AM

Replace iPod interface with original CD-changer

Hi,

2 years ago, I had an OEM iPod interface fitted which replaced the CD-changer in my '04 645CI. Since I'm selling the car, I want to put the CD-changer back in the car so that I can use it in another car (or sell it separately since they are worth a few ).

My question is, can I just replace the iPod interface with the original CD-changer or does the car require recoding after this change?

Thanks!

roseng 01-03-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by __co__ (Post 7286504)
Hi,

2 years ago, I had an OEM iPod interface fitted which replaced the CD-changer in my '04 645CI. Since I'm selling the car, I want to put the CD-changer back in the car so that I can use it in another car (or sell it separately since they are worth a few ).

My question is, can I just replace the iPod interface with the original CD-changer or does the car require recoding after this change?

Thanks!

Since most of the iPod interfaces emulate the CD changer so it my be just a plug and play. I would just try it, I don't think you could break anything.

Are you selling the interface? I may be interested if you are.

645/333 01-03-2013 02:17 PM

When I sold mine I just took out the ipod interface and put the CD change back in, I did not test it as I sold it to a dealer, a private person would have been a different matter!!!!

__co__ 01-03-2013 02:36 PM

My thoughts are the same Rosang, I think I'll just give it a try this weekend. See what happens :)

I might sell it, but since I'm living in the Netherlands shipping costs are likely quite high. I'm looking for another car and decision of selling it depends on the installed options on the new vehicle.

I'd rather like the CD changer to work when I deliver the car since I said to the buyer that the car is 100% ok. So I will definitely test the unit.

rebel.ranter 01-03-2013 03:33 PM

Technically you would need to code the car to change the VO of the car. The CD changer is listed in the VO as option $672, the iPod interface kit is listed as +IPOD.
Just as a point to note the Dension iPod interface unit works with either $672 or +IPOD so the CD changer may also work with both. Don't forget that there are both electrical & optical connections to the CD changer.
If you forget to connect up the optical connector you may disrupt the MOST optical fibre ring & cause the Bluetooth, CD changer, Nav or Radio/CD/DVD to stop working. It's because it relies on it being a ring of connection.

__co__ 01-03-2013 03:49 PM

Ok, thanks!

Looking at the CD changer unit, there is only one plug (X18180) which holds 2 optic fibres and 4 electrical pins. I guess i cannot go wrong there.

roseng 01-03-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by __co__ (Post 7287424)
My thoughts are the same Rosang, I think I'll just give it a try this weekend. See what happens :)

I might sell it, but since I'm living in the Netherlands shipping costs are likely quite high. I'm looking for another car and decision of selling it depends on the installed options on the new vehicle.

I'd rather like the CD changer to work when I deliver the car since I said to the buyer that the car is 100% ok. So I will definitely test the unit.

I'll be in Amsterdam at the end of the month, so shipping should not be an issue. As they say in New York, "Make me an offer I can't refuse" :str8pimpi

__co__ 01-04-2013 03:56 AM

Hehe, ok. If I'm selling the unit, I will let you know.

roseng 01-04-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by __co__ (Post 7288786)
Hehe, ok. If I'm selling the unit, I will let you know.

Thanks.

__co__ 01-23-2013 08:52 AM

Just an update: I removed the iPod interface and refitted the CD-changer. Worked like a charm without recode.

Roseng, I bought another vehicle which also needs the iPod retrofit, so I will most likely use it in that car. So at this moment, I'm not selling it (sorry :))

roseng 01-23-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by __co__ (Post 7332102)
Just an update: I removed the iPod interface and refitted the CD-changer. Worked like a charm without recode.

Roseng, I bought another vehicle which also needs the iPod retrofit, so I will most likely use it in that car. So at this moment, I'm not selling it (sorry :))

Too bad. I'm heading to Amsterdam on Sat. and I was going to check in with you. What did you replace it with?

__co__ 01-24-2013 01:56 AM

Another '04 645, but an E64 with low mileage and many options. I had a Z4 before and I missed the convertible top :)

I looked for a younger car but in the Netherlands they are just too expensive, unless you look at the vehicles with +100K miles on it. With the N62 coolant leakage issues in mind, that wasn't an option for me.

roseng 01-24-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by __co__ (Post 7334172)
Another '04 645, but an E64 with low mileage and many options. I had a Z4 before and I missed the convertible top :)

I looked for a younger car but in the Netherlands they are just too expensive, unless you look at the vehicles with +100K miles on it. With the N62 coolant leakage issues in mind, that wasn't an option for me.

I am aware of car prices there and I understand. Hopefully you are not in Amsterdam as I am also aware of the parking prices there too.
Good luck with the new ride.