Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Hello and an iPhone question (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667755)

Rosbif 01-03-2013 03:33 PM

Hello and an iPhone question

Hello all - just registered having lurked for years.

I've just swapped my 2002 330Ci Cabrio for a late 2009 German-spec 330d Cabrio, as there really was no competition! The spec on my new car is a little confusing as I'm trying to work out exactly what I have!

I want to be able to play music from my iPod and iPhone. I'd hoped that I'd get Bluetooth audio but understand that didn't come along til later so I need a cable. I tried using an USB cable to connect either my iPod touch or my iPhone 4S but both appear on my iDrive as not supported. I've tried 4 different cables! Funnily enough my daughter's blackberry played music fine. So I've ordered a bmw Y cable thingy. I don't understand why a normal apple USB cable wouldn't work.

Next question - do I need to get a snap-in adaptor, and if so, which one? I see they come in music and media guises now. I presume no bmw app will work? And what is all the Internet stuff? :dunno:

These are the relevant options I have on the car:

S609A NAVIGATIONSSYSTEM PROFESSIONAL Navigation system Professional
S612A BMW ASSIST BMW Assist
S614A INTERNET VORBEREITUNG Internet preparation
S615A ERWEITERTE BMW ONLINE INFORMATION Extended BMW Online Information
S616A BMW ONLINE BMW Online
S633A HANDY VORB. BUSINESS/BLUETOOTH-SCH. Preparation, mobile phone, business
S698A AREA-CODE 2 Area-Code 2 for DVD
S6AAA BMW TELESERVICES BMW TeleServices
S6ABA STEUERUNG TELESERVICES Control, Teleservices
S6FLA USB-AUDIO-SCHNITTSTELLE USB/audio interface
S6NFA MUSIC-SCHNITTSTELLE FUER SMARTPHONE Music interface for Smartphone
P7HEA CONNECTIVITY PAKET Connectivity package
P7R7A INNOVATIONSPAKET Innovation package
P7RSA COMFORT PAKET Package Comfort
S7SPA NAVI PROFESSINAL M.HANDYVORB.BLUETOOTH Navi Professional/m.-ph.pr

Thanks in advance!

twhisten 01-03-2013 07:27 PM

You dont need the snap in adapter........You will need the Y cable for your model year car.

DrT 01-03-2013 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
+1 But my 2 cents. I wouldn't overpay for one from BMW. Try getBMWparts.com or Amazon.
Here's a picture of what the Y cable application

Rosbif 01-04-2013 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L0rd NIk0n (Post 7288247)
+1 But my 2 cents. I wouldn't overpay for one from BMW. Try getBMWparts.com or Amazon.
Here's a picture of what the Y cable application

I read some bad reviews of OEM parts, especially on Amazon so I've spent the extra for the BMW one. I still don't understand why the apple USB cable doesn't work though..

sonitm 01-10-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosbif (Post 7287574)

I've just swapped my 2002 330Ci Cabrio for a late 2009 German-spec 330d Cabrio, as there really was no competition! The spec on my new car is a little confusing as I'm trying to work out exactly what I have!

I want to be able to play music from my iPod and iPhone. I'd hoped that I'd get Bluetooth audio but understand that didn't come along til later so I need a cable. I tried using an USB cable to connect either my iPod touch or my iPhone 4S but both appear on my iDrive as not supported. I've tried 4 different cables! Funnily enough my daughter's blackberry played music fine. So I've ordered a bmw Y cable thingy. I don't understand why a normal apple USB cable wouldn't work.

Next question - do I need to get a snap-in adaptor, and if so, which one? I see they come in music and media guises now. I presume no bmw app will work? And what is all the Internet stuff? :dunno:

Thanks in advance!

All you need is a 3.5 mm male to male jack cable. plug it in the aux and play your music. If you want your iphone to charges, the the Y cable from ebay will do the job. Do not connect your music through bluetooth,the quality will suffer and the battery will drain fast. Also make sure the car software is up to date.

DrT 01-12-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonitm (Post 7304162)
all you need is a 3.5 mm male to male jack cable. Plug it in the aux and play your music. If you want your iphone to charges, the the y cable from ebay will do the job. Do not connect your music through bluetooth,the quality will suffer and the battery will drain fast. Also make sure the car software is up to date.

+1

Technic 01-12-2013 11:19 AM

Your 2009 does not support any of the features that you want. The hardware is just not there.

Get the BMW OEM iPod cable and that's it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosbif (Post 7287574)

Thanks in advance!

Rosbif 01-12-2013 06:29 PM

Thanks all. I bought the BMW cable (real one as I didn't like the longevity prospects of the OEM ones) and it works. Not sure why a normal Apple cable didn't though when the Blackberry happily played with a normal USB cable. I was hoping I'd get the album covers but guess that came later.

BTW - if I did go for a snap-in it's just the standard one I need, not media?

Technic 01-12-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosbif (Post 7309131)
Thanks all. I bought the BMW cable (real one as I didn't like the longevity prospects of the OEM ones) and it works. Not sure why a normal Apple cable didn't though when the Blackberry happily played with a normal USB cable. I was hoping I'd get the album covers but guess that came later.

BTW - if I did go for a snap-in it's just the standard one I need, not media?

Again... the hardware required to support Media and other features is not installed in your car (Combox).

SpartanGA 01-12-2013 09:20 PM

I have a 2011 and an Iphone 5. I play Pandora or Sirius over bluetooth and it even shows the album. However when I plug it in with lightning cable into center console usb to charge it does not update the albums. It also turns off bluetooth audio.

I have the apple Bmw cable for the older iphone. Will that work better with the adaptor for the new connector?

joebiron 01-25-2013 04:13 AM

This is a great post that cleared up a lot of confusion for me. I'm negotiating on a 2009 328i withOUT iDrive or BMW Assist/Bluetooth.

This post clearly explains that I will need the Y-cable.

Question: was this infamous y-cable provided with the vehicle? Should I be expecting that it is stuffed in the glovebox somewhere on this CPO vehicle I'm looking to buy?

If not, then I guess I'll buy one, but on ShowBMWUsa all I see is
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...ProductId=3241

Which is an even more confusing monstrosity, and it's $100! Moreover it does not look at all like what I expected to see. Why the power adapter when it should be able to charge through USB? Where's the Apple connector cable part? See what I mean...confusing.

I see some on Amazon but with dubious reviews. http://www.amazon.com/iDRIVE-ADAPTER.../dp/B003P6DGMK

At least that one looks like what I expected to see.

Any ideas?

740li 02-11-2013 12:24 PM

Hello everyone, can someone guide me how can I connect my iPhone to 2006 BMW 740Li?

I can't find an option in idrive or BMW assist!

If not possible is there a workaround to play iPhone tunes on my car?

wiscopete 02-11-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonitm (Post 7304162)
All you need is a 3.5 mm male to male jack cable. plug it in the aux and play your music. If you want your iphone to charges, the the Y cable from ebay will do the job. Do not connect your music through bluetooth,the quality will suffer and the battery will drain fast. Also make sure the car software is up to date.

100% correct. My wife actually has her kindle read books to her on drives home from work by just using the male to male connection and playing through aux on her 08 328xi. I am sure her iphone would work the same, but she also has sirius so usually doesn't play cd's or stream from her iphone.

wiscopete 02-11-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joebiron (Post 7336730)
This is a great post that cleared up a lot of confusion for me. I'm negotiating on a 2009 328i withOUT iDrive or BMW Assist/Bluetooth.

This post clearly explains that I will need the Y-cable.

Question: was this infamous y-cable provided with the vehicle? Should I be expecting that it is stuffed in the glovebox somewhere on this CPO vehicle I'm looking to buy?

If not, then I guess I'll buy one, but on ShowBMWUsa all I see is
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...ProductId=3241

Which is an even more confusing monstrosity, and it's $100! Moreover it does not look at all like what I expected to see. Why the power adapter when it should be able to charge through USB? Where's the Apple connector cable part? See what I mean...confusing.

I see some on Amazon but with dubious reviews. http://www.amazon.com/iDRIVE-ADAPTER.../dp/B003P6DGMK

At least that one looks like what I expected to see.

Any ideas?

Just get a male to male cable at Radio Shack for $10 or so and you will be set.

740li 02-16-2013 06:25 AM

Hello, can someone help me connect my iPhone to 2006 740Li?

sonitm 02-18-2013 07:21 PM

You don't need the snap in adapter. Good choice: Y cable. Even better (and cheaper) choice: a regular charging cable and a 3.5mm jack cable. Both will cost you $2 on ebay. Done.

Nader-Vancouver 02-18-2013 08:28 PM

Hello all, I tried to play music using the USB Port in the glove box of my 2011 E93 (Cabrio) but It did not play. When I used the USB connection through the connection in the center armrest space, it worked fine. I have used both my samsung mp3 player and my Ipod , both with their USB cable. My question is : Is the USB connection in the glove box supposed to do the same thing ? Can you have 1 unit connected in center armrest and 1 in glove box and play them both ?