Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Bmw 1 series - traction control light / judders (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667757)

Ukbaggio 01-03-2013 02:41 PM

Bmw 1 series - traction control light / judders

hiya all and happy new year..

Please can anyone help, the traction control light is flashing when driving (orange triangle with a clockwise circle arrow) then the car starts to judder/losing power, when the dtc button is pressed on the car still flashes but doesn't judder/lose power under 40mph.......

If anyone could help it would be great, I have had it into BMW who say they dont know what the problem is to cause this problem.

If any further info required please ask.

Thanks Baggio

pagefault 01-04-2013 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ukbaggio (Post 7287596)
hiya all and happy new year..

Please can anyone help, the traction control light is flashing when driving (orange triangle with a clockwise circle arrow) then the car starts to judder/losing power, when the dtc button is pressed on the car still flashes but doesn't judder/lose power under 40mph.......

If anyone could help it would be great, I have had it into BMW who say they dont know what the problem is to cause this problem.

It means one of two things - either your tires are slipping (the loss of power is the stability control trying to regain traction), or the car thinks your tires are slipping for some reason.

Are you driving in near-freezing temperatures with summer tires, or tires that are bald? If your tires are not bald and seasonally appropriate, maybe it's a clutch issue?

JZWBMW 01-04-2013 09:26 AM

I have this a little bit in Denver. The ice will cause it to happen. I actually turn off the dcs to keep from having the car lunge and hesitate when trying to accelerate. I would rather have it spin a little than cut out and apply brakes, etc.

JZW

Ukbaggio 01-06-2013 01:47 PM

brake locking

tires are all fine the roads dry....

:mad:

i took her out today and while i was driving i felt the rear pasanager wheel locking and releasing and when this happends all the above happends any one had this happened before....

thanks again Baggio

pagefault 01-06-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ukbaggio (Post 7294278)
tires are all fine the roads dry....

:mad:

i took her out today and while i was driving i felt the rear pasanager wheel locking and releasing and when this happends all the above happends any one had this happened before....

If it's not the tires, it sounds like something internal (the clutch?) may be slipping, or there is perhaps an issue with the stability control system/sensors.

JZWBMW 01-06-2013 07:13 PM

That sounds like a wheel sensor or something that aids the stability control system. Its tuff when you have an intermittent issue like that. You will need to take it back to the shop and if they can get the problem to occur, then they should be able to fix it for you.

Its tuff when there is no cel and the problem does not occur while the shop has the car. If its happening often enough for them to duplicate it, then they should be able to repair it.

Does it happen if you turn DTC completely off ?

JZW

milky66 01-07-2013 12:15 PM

I have had this exact problem and it is a wheel speed sensor. With mine it was a bit worse as it turned out the drive shaft had gone and had moved the tiniest amount and the tolerance on the sensor is minute. This resulted in the sensor rubbing against the drive shaft and then subsequently tricking the car in to thinking one wheel was turning faster than the other making the traction control kick in.

Hopefully yours is nothing more than a dodgy sensor......

thumper_330 01-08-2013 02:10 PM

I have a similar problem... unfortunately I think in my case it's my right leg that's the issue :)