Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   6 Series (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Paddle Shifter (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668027)

mattymetzger 01-04-2013 06:45 PM

Paddle Shifter

I posted this question before but I think it was in the wrong forum, hope I get a few replies this time.
On my 2004 645ci with steptronic , I like to replace my existing steering wheel with one that has the paddle shifters, what has to be done to make the shifters work or can it be done at all?
I have found some info about retrofitting a 5 series with paddle shifters. I also called the dealer they told me that they had this request before and the dealer contacted BMW to find out if it can be done but the dealer was told it would not work, well, it may work but it is just too much to change and the dealer and BMW do not recommend this.
Now here is what I was thinking, maybe I'm way off but wouldn't it be possible to just run some wires from the + and - side of the shifter in the center console and run them up to the + and - at the paddles. I wouldn't mind disconnecting the up and down function at the center console and do the shifting exclusively at the steering wheel. I would have to select the manual mode at the center console shifter and then use the paddles at the steering wheel.

PEnglish11 01-07-2013 07:38 AM

The guy you want to contact is MotiveMods at www.MotiveMods.com

I have used his stuff and he is great.

Hope this helps.

mattymetzger 01-07-2013 08:57 AM

Thanks Pete

just had a look at that web site. It actually can be done.

mattymetzger 01-17-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PEnglish11 (Post 7295865)
The guy you want to contact is MotiveMods at www.MotiveMods.com

I have used his stuff and he is great.

Hope this helps.

Pete

you were right, this guy is great:thumbup:and I can even talk German to him, turns out we are both originally from the south of Germany.

2modfast 01-18-2013 08:49 AM

I totally forgot about this mod...hmmmm. I really need to stop coming on these boards, my bank account doesn't like it. ;)

TopDownInFL 01-19-2013 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2modfast (Post 7322138)
I totally forgot about this mod...hmmmm. I really need to stop coming on these boards, my bank account doesn't like it. ;)

Lol

Medicus 01-25-2013 05:05 PM

I am confused what the $399.99 charge is for if you are still paying for the steering wheel and the paddles. I priced one up and it was over $1300.

mattymetzger 01-27-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medicus (Post 7338433)
I am confused what the $399.99 charge is for if you are still paying for the steering wheel and the paddles. I priced one up and it was over $1300.

I think that the $399 is for a electrical box that you plug the wires from the steering wheel into and then connect it somewhere to the transmission. If you can find a steering wheel with paddles on E Bay then you only have to spend the $399.99 otherwise you will have to also purchase the steering wheel and the paddles. For my 2004 I was told, even though I do have the round airbag, the steering wheel is very hard to find and if I need a new one, the mod will be over $2000.

Medicus 01-28-2013 06:39 PM

Well that makes a little more sense. I just assumed that the paddles would come with the module to hook them up.

All-Or-Nothing 01-29-2013 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2modfast (Post 7322138)

Ha Ha......neither does my wife :cry: