Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Advice on a 7-Series purchase (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668164)

LithiumCobalt 01-05-2013 01:17 PM

Advice on a 7-Series purchase
 
Hi guys,

I lurked around on here a little bit this afternoon just to see if I could educate myself as I am considering the purchase of a 2007 750i. I have heard of and read up on the coolant pipe o-ring failure and feel confident that I could handle that repair. I am actually a DIY'er and competent enough to handle most things as long as it is not rebuilding an entire engine or doing body work. Anyways, I found a nice 7-series locally that I may consider going to look at. Apparently it is CPO and has service records. I checked the KBB on it and was floored that the car is priced so cheap. What's everyone's opinion on the car? Is there anything SPECIFICALLY that I should look for? I know everyone says make sure it has records and test everything, but beyond that is a good test drive going give me what I need to know? Thanks for all of the help in advance. Looks like a really nice forum of enthusiasts that I would like to be a part of. I have always admired BMW's, but have not owned one yet.

http://www.tomkinsonbmw.com/certifie...3ff489b4c9.htm

kkarson 01-05-2013 01:53 PM

It's actually a 750Li with the updated 4.8L V8, in case you misread that! Just letting you know :)

LithiumCobalt 01-05-2013 02:10 PM

Yes, I did know it was a 750. Not sure why I posted 745 (fixed in original post). Is one block better than the other or they simply variants of each other with the same issues? It isn't the long wheelbase, though.

7Rage 01-05-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LithiumCobalt (Post 7292190)


watch out for logic 7.. its nice but if it goes bad then its a hefty price tag. guy fixes it (sticky) but bit of a dick tbh.

that one has no rear entertainment, and stock 18's, and has chrome trim (windows) (means no sport package if I am not mistaken). but has chrome door handle trim which means comfort access. this maybe why so cheap... it is more of a base model.

as with all cars - see if it drives straight feel for shake in steering wheel and brake pedal. make sure hood is level. make sure all glass has the bmw logo. mine is bmw logo made by plinkerton or something like that. check for scrapes on botttom edge of bumpers and curb rash on rims (bargaining chips) tread depth (going to need new tires soon?, lol expensive) you cant rotate either becacuse staggered. and the front wear fast because of camber (but holds very well in turns for such a heavy car :thumbup:)

before you move it check for oil underneath especially if its been just sitting in the lot.

Supposed to have two keys - only one in picture (price dropped?) see if the medkit is still there lol..

I have a 2007 750li myself. I havent had any real problems since i bought it (still ahs CPO and extended service:D... the alternater diodes blew and symptoms returned (dying while driving) then they repalced a module (one that controls electronics) and CPS (threw transmssion fault). But I believe this to be my fault for redlining the car too much. Its touring not sports, its meant to go fast for extended periods but not make short sprints... and redline in 1st. Once I found out how to disable DSC was a dark day for that car:cry:

BobSC 01-05-2013 02:16 PM

As kkarson said, it is a 750i which is the short wheelbase model. You probably are aware of this difference between an "i" and a "Li", but if your not, you might want to make sure this one fits your needs.

I have a 2007 750Li and it has been rock solid for me. No major issues and all the minor stuff was handled under warranty. If you do have some CPO warranty left, just make sure you have any issues you encounter taken care of before it runs out.

Also, that car has the beige and black interior...which is the best looking interior on these cars in my opinion.

Good luck!

BobSC 01-05-2013 02:20 PM

Here is a list of options on that car....

S1CAA SELEKTION COP RELEVANTER FAHRZEUGE Selection of COP relevant vehicles
S248A LENKRADHEIZUNG Steering wheel heater
S2R6A LM RAEDER STERNSPEICHE 231 / MB BMW LA wheel, star spoke 231
S2VBA REIFENDRUCKANZEIGE Tire pressure display
S322A KOMFORTZUGANG Comfort access
S358A KLIMAKOMFORT-FRONTSCHEIBE Climate comfort windscreen
S423A FUSSMATTEN IN VELOURS Floor mats, velours
S430A INNEN-/AUSSENSPIEGEL AUT.ABBLENDEND Interior/outside mirror with auto dip
S437A EDELHOLZAUSFUEHRUNG Fine wood trim
S441A RAUCHERPAKET Smoker package
S456A KOMFORTSITZE ELEKTRISCH VERSTELLBAR Comfort seat with memory
S464A SKISACK Ski bag
S494A SITZHEIZUNG FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER Seat heating driver/passenger
S496A SITZHEIZUNG FUER FONDSITZE Seat heating, rear
S508A PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC) Park Distance Control (PDC)
Code Description (interface) Description (EPC)
S524A ADAPTIVES KURVENLICHT Adaptive Headlights
S609A NAVIGATIONSSYSTEM PROFESSIONAL Navigation system Professional
S620A SPRACHEINGABESYSTEM Voice control
S655A SATELLITENTUNER Satellite tuner
S672A CD WECHSLER 6-FACH CD changer for 6 CDs
S677A HIFI SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL HiFi System Professional DSP
S691A CD-HALTERUNG CD holder
S697A AREA-CODE 1 Area-Code 1 for DVD
S8SPA COP STEUERUNG Control unit COP
S925A VERSANDSCHUTZPAKET Transport protection package
S9AAA AUSSENHAUTSCHUTZ Outer skin protection



Code Description (interface) Description (EPC)
S229A DYNAMIC DRIVE Dynamic Drive
S252A AKTIVER KNIESCHUTZ F.FAHRER/BEIF. Active knee protection, driver/passenger
S302A ALARMANLAGE Alarm system
S319A INTEGRIERTE UNIVERSAL-FERNBEDIENUNG Integrated universal remote control
S403A GLASDACH, ELEKTRISCH Glass roof, electrical
S431A INNENSPIEGEL,AUTOMATISCH ABBLENDEND Interior mirror with automatic-dip
S442A GETRAENKEHALTER Cup holder
S470A KINDERSITZBEFESTIGUNG ISOFIX Isofix-System
S488A LORDOSENSTUETZE FAHRER/BEIFAHRER Lumbar support, driver and passenger
S521A REGENSENSOR Rain sensor
S534A KLIMAAUTOMATIK Automatic air conditioning
S645A RADIO-STEUERUNG US BMW US Radio
S845A AKUSTISCHE GURTWARNUNG Acoustic belt warning
S850A ZUSAETZL. TANKFUELLUNG EXPORT Additional Export tank filling
S853A SPRACHVERSION ENGLISCH Language version English
Code Description (interface) Description (EPC)
S992A STEUERUNG KENNZEICHENBEFESTIGUNG Control of number-plate attachment

LithiumCobalt 01-05-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7Rage (Post 7292273)
watch out for logic 7.. its nice but if it goes bad then its a hefty price tag. guy fixes it (sticky) but bit of a dick tbh.

that one has no rear entertainment, and stock 18's, and has chrome trim (windows) (means no sport package if I am not mistaken). but has chrome door handle trim which means comfort access. this maybe why so cheap... it is more of a base model.

as with all cars - see if it drives straight feel for shake in steering wheel and brake pedal. make sure hood is level. make sure all glass has the bmw logo. mine is bmw logo made by plinkerton or something like that. check for scrapes on botttom edge of bumpers and curb rash on rims (bargaining chips) tread depth (going to need new tires soon?, lol expensive) you cant rotate either becacuse staggered. and the front wear fast because of camber (but holds very well in turns for such a heavy car :thumbup:)

before you move it check for oil underneath especially if its been just sitting in the lot.

Supposed to have two keys - only one in picture (price dropped?) see if the medkit is still there lol..

I have a 2007 750li myself. I havent had any real problems since i bought it (still ahs CPO and extended service:D... the alternater diodes blew and symptoms returned (dying while driving) then they repalced a module (one that controls electronics) and CPS (threw transmssion fault). But I believe this to be my fault for redlining the car too much. Its touring not sports, its meant to go fast for extended periods but not make short sprints... and redline in 1st. Once I found out how to disable DSC was a dark day for that car:cry:

Logic 7...OK. I will have to read up on that one. I am assuming that is in reference to one of a million computerized nightmares in these beasts.

I don't really mind not having the rear entertainment as this will be my daily driver in good weather so I will pretty much be the only one in it about 90% of the time. I do appreciate everyone pointing out stuff like that, though. Ad also mentions 19" wheels so I will check that.

As for not having the sport package, I don't really mind that being absent either. My main wants were to have the cold weather package and moonroof and this one fits the bill for those.

Thank you for all of the tips on what to check for. I will ask about all of those things when I go take a look in person.

LithiumCobalt 01-05-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSC (Post 7292278)
As kkarson said, it is a 750i which is the short wheelbase model. You probably are aware of this difference between an "i" and a "Li", but if your not, you might want to make sure this one fits your needs.

I have a 2007 750Li and it has been rock solid for me. No major issues and all the minor stuff was handled under warranty. If you do have some CPO warranty left, just make sure you have any issues you encounter taken care of before it runs out.

Also, that car has the beige and black interior...which is the best looking interior on these cars in my opinion.

Good luck!

I would prefer to have an "L" but that isn't a deal breaker for me. Air suspension would be incredibly nice, but for the price, I think this car is a good compromise.

I agree with you about the two-tone interior. Looks very handsome. Although, I wonder how hard it's going to be to keep those seats clean?

LithiumCobalt 01-05-2013 02:37 PM

I should also probably mention that I am not really into spirited driving. Once in a while I may get on it a little, but I don't plan on red-lining it or anything like that. Hopefully that will extend life on anything that may potentially have a durability issue.

I am pretty anal with my cars and am a nazi when it comes to maintenance so hopefully my attitude will be a good fit for one of these. I am already excited about going to take a look and got my wife all hot and bothered. Ha.

LithiumCobalt 01-05-2013 02:39 PM

Bob, I also have to comment about the color of your car. I wouldn't normally pick red, but that is absolutely gorgeous!

LithiumCobalt 01-05-2013 02:41 PM

Any thoughts on the 4.4 vs. 4.8 or am I basically looking at the same drivetrain?

7Rage 01-05-2013 03:00 PM

I wasnt saying those were negative attributes... jsut saying thats probably why you are gettign a good deal :)...




engines = horsies:D
problems- I dont know of any that just relate to one or the other. but so many people have the 745... get the 750 and you will be happy when a 745 pulls up next to you.... lol
you never notice how many people drive your same car until you actually own it...or paying attention... I see one a day around here and sometimes 3 a day... never saw that many before I started dricing mine.

the 7s are nice but very expesive if broken.... I liek my 7 becasue even in the rear is as big as first class airplane seat. my bro 6'4" fits in the back no problem.... but if looking long term check out 550... same power plant little less legroom but its also cheaper becasue alot of the high tek stuff is not as hitek....

BobSC 01-05-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LithiumCobalt (Post 7292316)
Bob, I also have to comment about the color of your car. I wouldn't normally pick red, but that is absolutely gorgeous!

Thanks! It is called Barbera Red and it's a great color. You don't see too many of them, but there are a few on this forum.

Regards

Bob

thecandidate 01-06-2013 09:40 AM

If you feel the car is a good one for you and you are clear that it is good to go I say go for it. Like Bob mine has been running really well with hardly any problems at all. I am running in an 07 as well with 86k on it been to Canada and all up the east coast :)

just take care of it and get the maintenance done when you are suppose to

LithiumCobalt 01-06-2013 10:04 AM

Seems like a good deal to me. I am going to go through all of the service records when I head over to the dealership. I wonder if those that have the mechanical issues are those that don't follow the service recommendations or if things wear out regardless. For instance, every car I have owned, some with 200k miles on them have never needed the valve cover gaskets changed. Seems like these cars just are destined for things to start leaking. The fact that the car has 80k on it concerns me a bit. I will have to confirm whether the coolant pipe job has been done or I will have to factor that into my negotiations as the job is "when" rather than "if".

M4XBMW7 01-06-2013 02:21 PM

As long it has service records and has being serviced by a dealer since new I'd say it would be rock solid purchase , I bought mine with 49k and it had all the service records from a dealer in NJ , since then I take it in to the dealer every 6k for oil changes and full inspection and it's rocked solid for a little over one year of ownership and 20k miles , only thing they recommended so far was air filter change and wipe blades which i bought my own and changed it .

LithiumCobalt 01-07-2013 12:19 PM

Went over and test drove the car at lunch today and was a little disappointed. It was a clean car with no dents, non-smoker. It had two prior owners, however, and the CPO runs out in six weeks. The car has been sitting on the lot since last May. Although serviced at the dealer, it does not appear that the BMW recommended maintenance schedule was followed. Didn't appear to ever have the coolant pipe addressed or any fluid changed besides the oil and brake fluid one time. It basically came in for oil changes and if there was a problem. Water pump was replaced but no coolant flush, some strut rods fixed, one door handle replaced, one seat motor replaced, new tires and brakes all around. Came with two keys. I'm not sure if the "certified" designation really means a whole bunch or not. I put in an offer, but they would not budge one dollar (not surprising, it was the best they could do). Of course as I am getting ready to walk out the door, they tell me they have another buyer interested and were simply waiting for him to put down his deposit. Yeah, right. The car's been sitting for 8 months. I may call back, but I think I will continue to look around.

DCCXLV-Li 01-07-2013 05:06 PM

I've been looking also, although not a 750, but a 745Li which is in my price range. I am still torn between a true sports package or not. I like the Black Sapphire, but I would love to have the chrome trim and the three spoke steering wheel. Just say'n

wjjklj 01-07-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreothomas (Post 7296998)
I've been looking also, although not a 750, but a 745Li which is in my price range. I am still torn between a true sports package or not. I like the Black Sapphire, but I would love to have the chrome trim and the three spoke steering wheel. Just say'n

3 spoke steering wheel comes on the sport package which also deletes the chrome trim. You can't have both unless you buy a sport wheel and install it.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms