Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Frustrating Gadgets -- 550 M-Sport (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668217)

550 James 01-05-2013 05:40 PM

Frustrating Gadgets -- 550 M-Sport

I bought a new 550 X-Drive M-Sport a couple of weeks ago. I got rid of a CLS-550 to gain AWD. Not sure whether I like the car better or not -- it's a close call with puts and takes.

One thing I've been very unhappy with is the BMW Assist. While it's better than what my Mercedes had, getting it set up and getting it to function as I would expect has been an absolute pain. There's a complete lack of good information at either the dealer or via the concierge service.

I have an iPhone 5 and I purchased the $200/yr Assist concierge package (or whatever they call it). Several advertised features do not work. And, the way BMW handles this issue is really pretty pathetic. Their web site is laced with broken links. So far, this is what I've been able to get to work:

- Direct dial the concierge and have messages sent to me
- Text messages can be received as messages
- Address book loads
- Bluetooth works for taking calls

Here's what either doesn't work or I (BMW) cannot figure out:

- Playing internet radio / pandora / etc.
- Receiving email
- BMW Apps in general (Google Search, Bloomberg, etc.)
- Google Maps from desktop sent to car

To deal with the latter, I'm just going to call BMW. Their call center probably pays ~$5 per call handled, if I had to guess. They would be smart to fix these issues to minimize the calls for directions and such.

I have to say -- really nice car but the tech integration is pretty weak. Had I spent more time with this prior to getting the car I would have bucked up for a new CLS. If the answer is that this will all be fixed when the kit for the iPhone 5 comes out in a few months, no worries. I can wait. You would think that given the prevalence of the iPhone 5 among BMW drivers there would be broader communication of this fact...

I've read some posts on general issues with the i-Phone 5. Could someone post a link to something more comprehensive?

James

luigi524td 01-05-2013 06:32 PM

I'll be following your post

I'll be following responses closely. I too have recently purchased a '13 535xDrive with (among other options) the Tech Pkg. I've not wanted to go to the iPhone because I favor more "open" technology. I was aware of the limitations of being an "Android guy" but also read that BMW will someday soon make BMW APPS work with those of us who dare to play on the other team.

That said, I have to agree with you - the car is complex enough without knowledgeable support available. Based on the iPhone issues with BMW APPS I'm not inclined to rush out and pay Verizon any more $$$ for something that will reduce, not enhance, my driving pleasure.

On a + note ... I'm lovin the NAV!! What an improvement over my '07 530xi :thumbup:

kssod 01-07-2013 05:03 PM

I have an iphone 5 (Verizon) and have had success with most of these issues:

Playing internet radio / pandora / etc.

First phone needs to be connected to vehicle directly via usb for BMW Apps to work. With Iphone 5 that means using a new lightning cable since in car cradle is not compatible.
From phone can start Pandora, then Pandora should appear in Apps and can be controlled via idrive. Bmw internet radio, Facebook, Twitter and news etc, are all controlled via drive.
Download BMW Connected from Apple app store to set up accounts. Need to launch BMW Connected App first from phone to be able to then control all apps from idrive.

- Receiving email

This seems to be hit or miss. First make sure you have the latest Bluetooth software update on your BMW.
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...ndingpage.html

then go into iphone notifications>email>notifications on >banners>view in locked screen On
Also Blutooth>BMW>show notifications>on

Get in vehicle, sync via bluetooth and test from different phone. Works only when iphone is locked/sleep, thus hard to send email to self to test.
If it does not work, then turn car off to disconnect bluetooth, go to notifications turn off then back on for email, and bluetooth notifications.
Retry, txt should work email from this forum appears hit or miss.
A message icon should show up on the screen.
Hit voice command and say messages and should take directly to messages

- BMW Apps in general (Google Search, Bloomberg, etc.)

Again only work if connected to USB
Must start BMW Connected app on iphone first.

- Google Maps from desktop sent to car

Works great, search for place, go to more>send>car>BMW>enter bmwassist account name

Can also download MyBMW Remote app that has a Google local search feature and can also send to car from iPhone.
Apple Maps and Google Maps app on iOS devices do not have the send to car feature even if use Safari to go to google maps.

kssod 01-13-2013 07:29 AM

550James,
Did this help?

DieselNY 01-13-2013 06:20 PM

Blows me away how many cars don't have an Android hook up which blows away apple ios sales by almost 3 to 1. Do the car makers not follow smartphone sales or something? Very stupid IMHO

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

miamiboyca 01-14-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselNY (Post 7311082)
Blows me away how many cars don't have an Android hook up which blows away apple ios sales by almost 3 to 1. Do the car makers not follow smartphone sales or something? Very stupid IMHO

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

I agree with you for the most part, but a main reason for this is fragmentation in the Android OS and different form factors.

Fragmentation - since there so many add ons to the Android OS, no two phones work exactly the same which would mean a lot of extensive testing for BMW. Case in point in my Hyundai (yes Hyundai) I could hit the call button and do voice commands on my Galxy Nexus running IceCream. Now my Jelly Bean Maxx HD will have nothing to do with it. Who knows why?

Form Factor - with the iPhone BMW can make 1 adapter that works with the most popular handset in the world. Up until the new connector on the 5, this was development that paid off for 5 years since Apple had not changed their adapter. 5 Years, across multiple countries on the most popular handset.

As an Android guy, very frustrating. As a business guy, makes total sense.

kssod 01-17-2013 04:41 AM

Interstingly, had to exchange my iphone 5, thus had to reset up bluetooth etc. At first messages did not work, all settings the same. AFter I connected the phone via usb, and checked Office to verify messages etc, the email and txt worked again via bluetooth. It is a fickle system.

Does anyone know how to reply to a txt or send a txt by activating Siri via the in car speaker/command?

Decboy 01-17-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miamiboyca (Post 7312525)
Form Factor - with the iPhone BMW can make 1 adapter that works with the most popular handset in the world. Up until the new connector on the 5, this was development that paid off for 5 years since Apple had not changed their adapter. 5 Years, across multiple countries on the most popular handset.

As an Android guy, very frustrating. As a business guy, makes total sense.

+1. Simplicity is what drives Apple sales. The form factor you mentioned is one of them. However, rumors have it they may introduced a mini iPhone similar to the mini iPad. We'll see.