Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Wow, was my alignment off ! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668729)

ductman 01-08-2013 08:45 AM

Wow, was my alignment off !

1 Attachment(s)
It was a miracle my tires lasted to 30k especially with a total front toe at .29, never saw such a high positive toe number on the front ? ( 0.63 ) - left front, ( - .035 ) right front ?

RockChips 01-08-2013 09:13 AM

Yeah my alignment was also way the fooock off.

I'm starting to think, that as soon as one acquires a car one should do an alignment.

dkreidel 01-08-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChips (Post 7298269)
Yeah my alignment was also way the fooock off.

I'm starting to think, that as soon as one acquires a car one should do an alignment.

If you take the car in and complain about the alignment within 1,000 or 1,500 miles the dealer will align under warranty. After that it's on your dime.

I've done this on every new BMW (>10) and in every instance the factory alignment was out of spec. Haven't had the X5M in yet but hoping Spartanburg did a better job than the Regensburg and Dingolfing plants.

ard 01-08-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ductman (Post 7298211)
It was a miracle my tires lasted to 30k especially with a total front toe at .29, never saw such a high positive toe number on the front ? ( 0.63 ) - left front, ( - .035 ) right front ?

I'd actually be concerned the machine/car/rack was set up properly....

having said that, perhaps the saving grace was that the toe was off the same direction front and rear- positive on the left side, negative on the right. CROSS toe was therefore (somewhat) minimized.

It would seem like the car was kind of 'crabbing' down the road, if those before numbers are accurate.

ductman 01-08-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7298350)
I'd actually be concerned the machine/car/rack was set up properly....

having said that, perhaps the saving grace was that the toe was off the same direction front and rear- positive on the left side, negative on the right. CROSS toe was therefore (somewhat) minimized.

It would seem like the car was kind of 'crabbing' down the road, if those before numbers are accurate.

I was experiencing some tramlining on the highway if the road was not totally level and smooth.

5seriesHB 01-08-2013 03:15 PM

Mine was all f uped as a brand new vehicle
Crazy
Had it aligned for $110 and the steering wheel put dead center as well
Couldn't bare to go back n forth w dealer
U pay for ur sanity!
Rob

blue dragon 01-08-2013 03:53 PM

I had a set of tires get noisy on me way before they were worn, because of the crappy alignment. I had to discard the tires and get new ones.

ktono 01-08-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ductman (Post 7298211)

Remind me what size tires you have. I have been contemplating having mine checked before my 20" Bridgestone Sport RFT set is ruined. It seems to ride straight most of the time and occasionally "grabs" the road. Can't tell if the grabbing is the extra width on road irregularities over the 18"s on my 2010 or alignment issues. I'm at 850 miles and need some thoughts on whether I should have this checked. Thanks.

AutoUnion 01-08-2013 04:50 PM

I'm going to get an alignment before the winter gets more severe

ductman 01-08-2013 05:11 PM

I have the "lowly" 18in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Bimmer App

henrycyao 01-08-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ductman (Post 7299482)
I have the "lowly" 18in

Its not lowly. 18" works fine and does reasonable job.

I will take my car to an tire shop to get alignment done and set for my own sanity. I was thinking of at around 5000 mile mark. Now I am not so sure.

AutoUnion 01-08-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ductman (Post 7299482)
I have the "lowly" 18in

Yup, the 18inch saves my back. I learned my lesson with 19+ inch wheels on my Audi. ****ty roads around here

ktono 01-08-2013 05:54 PM

I liked the 18's a lot and had zero issues with them. They were actually quite capable in the KS snow for all season rubber. Hopefully I like the 20's as much.

ductman 01-09-2013 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5seriesHB (Post 7299152)
Mine was all f uped as a brand new vehicle
Crazy
Had it aligned for $110 and the steering wheel put dead center as well
Couldn't bare to go back n forth w dealer
U pay for ur sanity!
Rob

I paid 69.95 for my alignment, I paid under 1300 complete for
4- Bridgestone Duellers incl freight from Tire rack
Roadforce balancing with tire matching
Alignment
Road hazard at only 23.00 per tire ( good for one year unlimited mileage, prorated after that ) Plus all the BS taxes that are added on

The dealer wanted 1500 just for the tires plus 75 PER TIRE installation and 180 for the alignment, I guess people just say yes and don't give a s**t

Also the tire place I went to allowed me to go over the alignment specs with the tech at the machine,
dealer service dept is shrouded in secrecy, no one past the secret door in the shop:yikes:

RockChips 01-09-2013 07:50 AM

Where did you go Ductman?

DCC 01-09-2013 08:48 AM

I can't believe so many of you are pointing out that your X5 came out of alignment from the factory
I wonder is its the line that is off or its the transportation from the factory to the dealer???
Anybody with alignment issues that did PCD?

AutoUnion 01-09-2013 09:08 AM

Where do you guys think I should go for the alignment?

I'm very nervous taking to a local tire shop because most of them are pretty trashy and the last time I was at a local one, I watched them ruin a set of rims of a Mercedes GL and they probably broke the rear diff by jacking up the car on it.

BMW dealer?

ard 01-09-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoUnion (Post 7300906)

I'm very nervous taking to a local tire shop because most of them are pretty trashy and the last time I was at a local one, I watched them ruin a set of rims of a Mercedes GL and they probably broke the rear diff by jacking up the car on it.

BMW dealer?

No

Quote:

Originally Posted by ductman (Post 7300360)
Also the tire place I went to allowed me to go over the alignment specs with the tech at the machine,
dealer service dept is shrouded in secrecy, no one past the secret door in the shop:yikes:

Get past the optics... I have one local tire shop I've used for many years. I am one of their 1%, in that they treat me and my cars really well. OK prices, sometimes they match tirerack, sometimes not, sometimes I bring in my own tires and they mount.

But on the specifics of 'finding the store to use the first time', I'd just stop by a few and see what vibe you get. Talk to a MANAGER, tell them you want specific settings and would like to be able to watch- perhaps from the open garage door if 'insurance' is an issue. The key will be not sounding like a BMW-hole, but sounding like an enthusiast who is looking for a more careful alignment. (I am always in jeans, T shirt, etc... doing my best Zelig...) Then time the guy doing the alignment 10-20 if he is nice, get his name, and come back the next time.

My 2 cents

A

ductman 01-09-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChips (Post 7300742)
Where did you go Ductman?

I used American Tire in Hamilton TWP NJ, they match Tire rack pricing plus whatever the shipping charge would have been.

ductman 01-09-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7301067)
No

Get past the optics... I have one local tire shop I've used for many years. I am one of their 1%, in that they treat me and my cars really well. OK prices, sometimes they match tirerack, sometimes not, sometimes I bring in my own tires and they mount.

But on the specifics of 'finding the store to use the first time', I'd just stop by a few and see what vibe you get. Talk to a MANAGER, tell them you want specific settings and would like to be able to watch- perhaps from the open garage door if 'insurance' is an issue. The key will be not sounding like a BMW-hole, but sounding like an enthusiast who is looking for a more careful alignment. (I am always in jeans, T shirt, etc... doing my best Zelig...) Then time the guy doing the alignment 10-20 if he is nice, get his name, and come back the next time.

My 2 cents

A

Agree, first time I went to this shop that had high recomendations on Tire rack was for my
cupped Michelins at 16k, they rotated and roadforced balanced the tires at no charge , so for that they gained a customer and yes they allowed me back in the shop to speak with the tech doing the work, tech even started speaking about how radical some of the camber settings he has seen on other BMW's, all in all a good experience, no vibration, no pulling, a perfectly straight steering wheel.

ductman 01-09-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoUnion (Post 7300906)

BMW dealer?

Look on Tire rack for any installers in your area, look at the reviews and the equipment they use for balancing, etc.

DCC 01-09-2013 12:14 PM

The key to a good alignment imo is to find a tech that understands suspension geometry & functions...having some adjustments based on what the machine tells you to do is often the least effective resolution

RockChips 01-09-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ductman (Post 7301108)
Agree, first time I went to this shop that had high recomendations on Tire rack was for my
cupped Michelins at 16k, they rotated and roadforced balanced the tires at no charge , so for that they gained a customer and yes they allowed me back in the shop to speak with the tech doing the work, tech even started speaking about how radical some of the camber settings he has seen on other BMW's, all in all a good experience, no vibration, no pulling, a perfectly straight steering wheel.

You got an unbelievable deal.

Alignment AND road force balancing for $70????

kanar200 01-09-2013 12:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
@ ductman - did they tell you what are the BMW specs for toe? My printout shows it is 0.03-0.13. Some say it should start at 0.00

ductman 01-09-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChips (Post 7301454)
You got an unbelievable deal.

Alignment AND road force balancing for $70????

Just alignment.