Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F12 / F13 (2012 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Tire Pressure (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668730)

EmM HoLLa 01-08-2013 08:47 AM

Tire Pressure

What are you guys running?.. Just for my car back from the dealer and he ride seems softer.. I normally inflate the front to 39 psi and the rears to 40psi per the door sticker for driving over 100mph..

Truth is I don't go over that number much of at all.. I just like having the security of knowing that if I ever did I would be fine. What psi are you guys driving on?..

dkreidel 01-08-2013 09:42 AM

38/42

Bönz 01-08-2013 02:56 PM

38/41 summer (staggered 245/35 x 275/30 - 20)

42/42 winter (245/45-18)

southern6er22 01-08-2013 03:35 PM

38/38 per the sticker.

southern6er22 01-08-2013 05:55 PM

What's the benefit of the front/rear difference? Is this a RWD thing, or is it something I should consider for my xDrive?

Itinj6 01-08-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern6er22 (Post 7299631)
What's the benefit of the front/rear difference? Is this a RWD thing, or is it something I should consider for my xDrive?

Don't kid... You wouldn't consider anything not published by BMW

;) :) heh heh heh.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App

southern6er22 01-08-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itinj6 (Post 7299637)
Don't kid... You wouldn't consider anything not published by BMW

;) :) heh heh heh.

lol. I consider many things - I just tend to follow the safe and boring route :D

BMW is still on my poopy list after The Great Engine Debacle of 2013. If Bönz says it, it must be true. I may just lose it one day and do something crazy like pump those babies up to 40 psi :)

roadsta 01-08-2013 10:49 PM

43 rear, 40 front.

This thread will tell you most of what you want to know.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=651450

R.

Bönz 01-09-2013 09:01 AM

I just re-read the thread linked by roadsta. Although the manual has a section on FTM, our cars are equipped with the more advanced TPMS (also described in the manual). As stated, FTM looks for a difference in rotational speed of the tires. This is accomplished via the ABS speed sensors and therefore, FTM systems do not require pressure sensors mounted in the wheels. My E39 M5 had this system.

TPMS use pressure sensors mounted in the wheels that can read actual pressure - and in our case temperature as well. Unfortunately, US 6ers are not coded to display the pressure and temperature (although this can be changed). Both systems require reset after changing pressure, but not if you are only bringing one tire back to nominal (although it doesn't hurt).

For what it's worth, my M3 had TPMS which only provided low pressure warnings (like the US 6ers). One day, after a scheduled oil change and SW update, the car could display actual tire pressure, by corner. I will never understand why BMW codes things like this differently in different regions - and then changes its mind. There is nothing regulatory about providing actual PSI readings in a TPMS equipped vehicle. It pisses me off. :mad:

I would probably do the coding thing if I used a PC. I don't think the software works on a Mac. The IT schmoes at work have my work laptop all locked up. I can't install anything on it.

southern6er22 01-09-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bönz (Post 7300888)
I would probably do the coding thing if I used a PC. I don't think the software works on a Mac. The IT schmoes at work have my work laptop all locked up. I can't install anything on it.

Off topic (what else is new), but I'm currently waiting to pick up my dead MacBook Pro. The motherboard died and will cost $700 to fix. I think I'm in the market for a new MacBook Pro...

TRIPLE_O 01-10-2013 08:17 AM

Install a Virtual Machine on your Mac and install the software on the VM. Works great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bönz (Post 7300888)
I just re-read the thread linked by roadsta. Although the manual has a section on FTM, our cars are equipped with the more advanced TPMS (also described in the manual). As stated, FTM looks for a difference in rotational speed of the tires. This is accomplished via the ABS speed sensors and therefore, FTM systems do not require pressure sensors mounted in the wheels. My E39 M5 had this system.

TPMS use pressure sensors mounted in the wheels that can read actual pressure - and in our case temperature as well. Unfortunately, US 6ers are not coded to display the pressure and temperature (although this can be changed). Both systems require reset after changing pressure, but not if you are only bringing one tire back to nominal (although it doesn't hurt).

For what it's worth, my M3 had TPMS which only provided low pressure warnings (like the US 6ers). One day, after a scheduled oil change and SW update, the car could display actual tire pressure, by corner. I will never understand why BMW codes things like this differently in different regions - and then changes its mind. There is nothing regulatory about providing actual PSI readings in a TPMS equipped vehicle. It pisses me off. :mad:

EmM HoLLa 01-10-2013 08:24 AM

I have both a Mac and a PC if there is way to get the PSI to show up on iDrive and any of you awesome fellows know how to do it.. Would kindly post it here.. Please.. Thanks...:-)

TRIPLE_O 01-10-2013 08:46 AM

You need a cable and software, I'll PM you information because we cannot post links to downloads.

Bönz 01-10-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern6er22 (Post 7301721)
Off topic (what else is new), but I'm currently waiting to pick up my dead MacBook Pro. The motherboard died and will cost $700 to fix. I think I'm in the market for a new MacBook Pro...

Sorry to hear that. You probably burned it out editing all your awesome videos. Either that or too much blogging. :)

Quote:

Install a Virtual Machine on your Mac and install the software on the VM. Works great!
I actually do have a VM on my Mac. I just hate launching it. Something about seeing Windows on my Mac really bugs me. But if my service guy at the dealership refuses to help me out (dropped him a line yesterday) then I may have no choice.

Quote:

You need a cable and software, I'll PM you information because we cannot post links to downloads.
Do you have the link to the cable build? I don't remember where I saw it. Thanks.

TRIPLE_O 01-10-2013 09:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've attached it!

roadsta 01-11-2013 12:55 AM

Hmmm. I will still struggle to build this cable myself. My soldering skills are a little iffy...

Can one buy them somewhere? Anyone who privately puts these together and is prepared to sell them?

R.

Bönz 01-11-2013 03:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Triple O. I appreciate that!

Roadsta. I am sure you can buy these cables, but if I recall they're pricey at over 100 bucks. You can make your own without soldering if you use a strip and crimp pin connector like this. I got mine from work (not that I can't solder, it's what we use) but if you google OBD II you will find them. Try carplug.com

TRIPLE_O 01-11-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadsta (Post 7305190)
Hmmm. I will still struggle to build this cable myself. My soldering skills are a little iffy...

Can one buy them somewhere? Anyone who privately puts these together and is prepared to sell them?

R.

I'll PM you info.

TRIPLE_O 01-11-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bönz (Post 7305244)
Thanks Triple O. I appreciate that!

Roadsta. I am sure you can buy these cables, but if I recall they're pricey at over 100 bucks. You can make your own without soldering if you use a strip and crimp pin connector like this. I got mine from work (not that I can't solder, it's what we use) but if you google OBD II you will find them. Try carplug.com

No problem!