Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   64GB USB stick not recognized by F30 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668752)

Slythex 01-08-2013 10:26 AM

64GB USB stick not recognized by F30

Hey folks. I've had a lot of success with a small 4GB USB stick in my center console for keeping my music on. So... I figured I'd try a 64GB one with more stuff. When I went to plug it in this morning, the car didn't recognize the 64GB stick (brand new).

I checked the stick at work to see if it would read it, and had no problems there.
I kept the stock format exFAT filesystem, and did a clean format on it.

Any one out there have any thoughts?

pcbrew 01-08-2013 10:38 AM

Check the manual but I doubt exFAT is supported as it is fairly new.

... manual says:
Quote:

File systems:
Popular file systems for USB devices are supported.
FAT 32 is the recommended format.

Orient330iNYC 01-08-2013 10:40 AM

FAT32 would work best BUT you will be limited to files less than 4gb in size (only an issue if you are using the drive for other things)
NTFS may work as well, without the file size limit.
exfat is probably too new for this application to be supported by the car.

triathelite 01-08-2013 11:08 AM

Just wanted to chime in...I am using a 64GB flash drive using FAT32 with no issues. As the others have stated, exFAT is probably the issue.

neilsarkar 01-08-2013 12:35 PM

Windows XP/Vista/7 won't allow any partition larger than 32 GB to be formatted with FAT32 file system. Use the 3rd party formatter from http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...at32format.htm

Slythex 01-08-2013 01:16 PM

Regarding FAT32 on filesystems bigger than 32GB, you can still do it in DOS:

format /FS:FAT32 X:
(where X: is the USB stick)

I will give NTFS and/or FAT32 a shot when I get home.

Kind of sad that I come on bimmerfest to AVOID work, and here I am drilling into the technical details of filesystems and whatnot, just like my IT day job :-)

neilsarkar 01-08-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slythex (Post 7298872)
Regarding FAT32 on filesystems bigger than 32GB, you can still do it in DOS:

format /FS:FAT32 X:
(where X: is the USB stick)

I will give NTFS and/or FAT32 a shot when I get home.

Kind of sad that I come on bimmerfest to AVOID work, and here I am drilling into the technical details of filesystems and whatnot, just like my IT day job :-)

Tried that already -- it fails with an error message at the very end in my Windows 7 box if the partition is > 32 GB. :thumbdwn:

FrogmanF30 01-08-2013 02:03 PM

I have a 64GB stick and it also came formatted as exFAT32. The car would not recognize it in either the glove box port for importing or the armrest for playing.

Windows refuses to format it as FAT32, so I tried NTFS and it works perfectly!

I can now play the from this stick via the USB port in the arm rest and I was also able to import music to the HD from it.

Slythex 01-09-2013 03:05 PM

Yeah I tried the DOS command line for FAT32 formatting, and it also fails as being over 32GB. I think you need a utility for that.

That said, like the previous poster, I used NTFS, worked for me.
The catch is, it takes a LONG TIME to read all of the meta data for albums and artists and stuff. At first it only showed about 15 artists, wouldn't let me browse directories, but eventually, let's say approximately 30 minutes later, everything was good.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

m3kidd 01-09-2013 05:38 PM

I had a 1TB WD Drive NTFS plugged in with no problems

Eric Genname 01-09-2013 05:46 PM

Did the ability to recognize the 1TB drive depend on any features unique to the Tech/Nav upgrade? And how do you get access to the tracks you want to play through iDrive? I'd like to be able to manage my navigation and music on portable devices, not with BMW's optional features.

m3kidd 01-09-2013 06:05 PM

I don't think there was anything unique added by the tech package, but I was able to browse the drive after I set up folders and separated by genre. It did take awhile for it to load all the folders, had about 140GB of music on it at the time. I was actually trying to see if I could play .avi files which were on the drive as well, which didn't work.