Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Liner on bottom of vehicle (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668754)

OrthoPT 01-08-2013 10:47 AM

Liner on bottom of vehicle

Wow. I did something very stupid. I was trying to make a left while going into a lot and didn't clear a damn curb. YES. .... I ran over it and my car was hanging in the curb. I had two choices:
1. Get a tow truck to pull me off
2. Hit reverse and hope for the best.

Well, I chose 2!!!!!!!

The damage was not as bad as I thought. There is some type of liner under the entire car which was ripped but not too bad. I'm thinking of having the dealer replace it. Do any of you think there is anything under the car that will get damaged if hit by water. I'm not sure if the plastic liner protects any electronics under the car (it would be stupid to put any electronics under the car)..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

Joe-BMW 01-08-2013 11:12 AM

The liner can be replaced. Take it to the dealer to make sure you didn't damage the exaust, tranny, etc. I was more thinking about how are the front tires/wheels? Did you slam into a the curb?

OrthoPT 01-08-2013 11:33 AM

Slammed HARD. . Although I'm conditioned to check the tires because of so many bubbles I didn't even think about it until my drive to work this morning. The car is not pulling, excelerates fine and transitions into gear without difficulty. I will check for bubbles when I leave the office on my way home. I will post an update. Thanks for the info

OrthoPT 01-09-2013 05:07 PM

No bubble. ..

The X Men 01-10-2013 05:44 AM

Probably should check the front wheel alignment as well.

Ralph1201 05-01-2013 06:31 AM

Pretty much exact same thing happened to me yesterday.
Was making a left turn and did not clear the curb, but unlike OP, both wheels had made it over the curb before i could react.

I came out of the car right away and checked the curbs but nothing was seen on it. I was looking for remnants of liner if any. what color are they?

secondly, where should i expect to see the bubble? on the sidewall or among the tread?
I checked the sidewall and it looked level. The ride to office today was as normal.

Do these things manifest their effect later?

The X Men 05-01-2013 06:39 AM

The liner would be black. I saw a guy did the same thing last weel with his 3 series. Drive over a curb on a turn and he lost his air deflector in front of his front wheel and some liner behind the front wheel. The funny thing is, he didnt even stop, must have been a leased car :) :)

Ralph1201 05-01-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The X Men (Post 7555667)
The liner would be black. I saw a guy did the same thing last weel with his 3 series. Drive over a curb on a turn and he lost his air deflector in front of his front wheel and some liner behind the front wheel. The funny thing is, he didnt even stop, must have been a leased car :) :)

Thanks X Men.. I was specifically checking for something black when I checked the curb.. but didnt find anything. The air deflector also is intact infront of the front wheel.
Regarding the tire, mine is 17", so that must have helped. It was a warm day and when i checked the pressure it was 38psi. so that must have protected the rim.

The X Men 05-01-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph1201 (Post 7555682)
Regarding the tire, mine is 17", so that must have helped. It was a warm day and when i checked the pressure it was 38psi. so that must have protected the rim.

The BMW F10 is the only car I rather have high profile tires on :) :)

Ralph1201 05-01-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The X Men (Post 7555716)

I understand your point, but as long as i continue to be such a :mad: careless driver, i guess its better that im not entitled to high profile tires. :(

MoldCAD 05-01-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The X Men (Post 7555716)

Yeah, I guess my 18" wheels are at the optimum size between sporty look/performance and pothole resistance...