Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Did Mercedes just copied BMW's styling? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668810)

smashhell 01-08-2013 03:24 PM

Did Mercedes just copied BMW's styling?
 
Just a little funny thing I noticed.

Mercedes previewed their new restyled 2014 E63 AMG today.

And I thought something looks familiar.

Look at the front bumper.

You decide. :thumbup:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ps18793229.jpg

MELLOWYELLOW06 01-08-2013 03:29 PM

Copying is the best form of flattery

Elk 01-08-2013 04:58 PM

Mercedes used these cues prior to BMW. On the MB it is meant to be reminiscent of an F1 car's front wing. If anything, BMW is copying MB.

otonimus 01-08-2013 04:59 PM

Will either car actually have that front end? I thought the 3 coupe was just a concept... I could be wrong though

justinnum1 01-08-2013 05:16 PM

the new e class was designed years ago...not last month...

MELLOWYELLOW06 01-08-2013 05:32 PM

they are both nice cars

eventually, everyone will have some styling ques from one another

dtc100 01-08-2013 05:43 PM

Looks to me they both copied from Kia:)

sr5959 01-08-2013 06:02 PM

Mercedes design is hit or miss at the moment for me...the new SL looks much worse than the old, same with M-Class. I hope they don't do the same for the C-Class replacement I really like the current design.

smashhell 01-08-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otonimus (Post 7299450)
Will either car actually have that front end? I thought the 3 coupe was just a concept... I could be wrong though

The 4 series I'm not sure. But the Mercedes is not a concept. It is pretty much production ready.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr5959 (Post 7299649)
Mercedes design is hit or miss at the moment for me...the new SL looks much worse than the old, same with M-Class. I hope they don't do the same for the C-Class replacement I really like the current design.

I agree.
Mercedes' design lately has been pretty horrible.
The SL, SLK, GL all have 'eyelid' headlights they tried to copy from BMW. But failed horribly.
Aside from the CLS, I don't find any of their cars attractive.

captainaudio 01-08-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr5959 (Post 7299649)
Mercedes design is hit or miss at the moment for me...the new SL looks much worse than the old, same with M-Class. I hope they don't do the same for the C-Class replacement I really like the current design.

Maybe Chris Bangle is working for Mercedes under an assumed name?

CA

pkim1079 01-08-2013 10:14 PM

audi's RS models already have this on the street. lol

3ismagic# 01-09-2013 07:53 AM

Both front ends are Fugly IMO

Slaymaster 01-09-2013 10:57 AM

Well if it was either copy Lexus, Audi, or BMW, I think they made the right choice to copy BMW.

smashhell 01-09-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkim1079 (Post 7300168)
audi's RS models already have this on the street. lol

Nope, Audi's RS models are nothing like it.

The Mercedes and 4 series are the only cars I seen with front bumper with another "layers" within it.

Audi RS don't have that.
In fact, I don't think there is another car on the market that is like that.

http://image.automobilemag.com/f/aut...pt-front-3.jpg
http://s1.aecdn.com/images/news/2014...to-53692-7.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....13rs6avant.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....-cabrio-fd.jpg

trinipirate 01-09-2013 06:43 PM

the benz looks good... but doesn't look like a benz

ProRail 01-09-2013 07:00 PM

I dunno. Did you just said something strange?

dtc100 01-09-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashhell (Post 7302017)
The Mercedes and 4 series are the only cars I seen with front bumper with another "layers" within it.

As I said, Kia had it first:

http://www.autoweek.com/storyimage/C...ima-review.jpg

smashhell 01-09-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtc100 (Post 7302395)

You're right. Kia is like that too.
Looks weird to be honest.
Almost like a lip.

BMW 3-SERIES 01-10-2013 01:53 PM

If you can beat it, be it. That's what Lexus has been doing with Mercedes for YEARS now. Same goes for Cadillac, Audi and so on. Taking designs, ideas, and so on from BMW and Mercedes

dtc100 01-10-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashhell (Post 7299171)
Just a little funny thing I noticed.

Mercedes previewed their new restyled 2014 E63 AMG today.

And I thought something looks familiar.

Look at the front bumper.

You decide. :thumbup:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ps18793229.jpg

Here it is a better look:

http://media.emercedesbenz.com/magaz...26-635x360.jpg

Who is copying who really? As I pointed out earlier, Kia has such design cue since 2011. We know the 4 series concept has a similar style but the production I was told will not have it. Since MB now comes out with this style in the production first, it is hard to say who is copying who.

dtc100 01-12-2013 08:52 AM

This is going to be the more common refreshed 2014 E:

http://www.eurocarnews.com/media/pic...2493/15856.jpg

ProRail 01-14-2013 08:12 PM

Why has no one edited the headline? This makes us look like a bunch of illiterates, and it's been up for quite a long time.

beden1 01-14-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtc100 (Post 7304445)
Here it is a better look:

http://media.emercedesbenz.com/magaz...26-635x360.jpg

Who is copying who really? As I pointed out earlier, Kia has such design cue since 2011. We know the 4 series concept has a similar style but the production I was told will not have it. Since MB now comes out with this style in the production first, it is hard to say who is copying who.

I think that's a sharp looking Mercedes. It should sell very well, IMO.

spicytofu 01-15-2013 08:16 AM

i thought the kia copied the accord?

impreza276 01-16-2013 12:28 PM

The new Mercedes A class hatch is a rebadged 1 series with exactly the same flame surfacing.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms