Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   General BMW (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What car mistakes have you made? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669032)

BMW220i 01-09-2013 04:03 PM

What car mistakes have you made?

What mistakes have you made with your car? I'll start with a few that I've made...

1. I used to dismantle parts from the car. Remove a headlight or carpeting then put it back. German parts are often hard to put back exactly right and often I wouldn't be able to put things back straight. I stopped doing that quite a few years ago. I do know how things in the car work, though.

2. I used to bang up the wheels a lot but haven't done so in more than a decade.

3. I used to brake at the last moment thinking that coasting saves the brake pad. Then it dawned on me that the laws of physics is such that the brakes must be applied hard to stop in a short distance. If going down a mountain, riding on the brakes makes them heat up more than intermittent moderate braking but on a regular street, taking half a block to stop is better than doing it a shorter distance.

Mr.750 01-09-2013 04:08 PM

I bought a 7 series.

DAI 01-09-2013 05:12 PM

1. I let threads on forums make me paranoid that I'm going to have issues with my car, trading it in earlier than my target, and eating more depreciation than I would want.

2. Years ago traded in my 3 series that I put 160k miles on for a new Nissan Altima. At that time I wanted a reliable car and did not want to spend the money on a BMW because I was saving for an upgrade in homes. Kept that car for less than a year and then got a CPO 550i because I missed the performance and handling too much. To this day I refer to it as my 'rebound car'.

captainaudio 01-10-2013 12:27 AM

Bought a 335i with sports suspension to drive in NYC.

Took me a while but I finally figured out that if I ditched the RFTs and installed Koni FSD shocks the car could be driven in NYC without breaking.

CA

Andrew*Debbie 01-10-2013 12:28 AM

I bought a 1982 Renault Fuego Turbo. My first new car and my last big mistake. I was naive and didn't realize a car could be that poorly made. Learned a lot.

When we moved to the UK in 2008, we bought a used Rover Metro. Fortunately that was only a 200 mistake.

pkim1079 01-10-2013 01:26 AM

1. Blew the motor in my s2k.
2. Blew the motor in my evo ix.

No more ecu tuning. Only grip and drive the heck out of it!!

Jay Arras 01-10-2013 01:05 PM

Bought a brand new Hyundai Excel in 1980. I used to call it my "poor man's 'vette". The valves used to have to be tuned every 15000 miles, which I never had done. I don't think the car made it to 40K.

Chris90 01-10-2013 01:23 PM

I walked into an Acura dealer around 2000 and saw a brand new black Integra Type R for sale (at MSRP). I regret not buying that on the spot - I didn't know what that car was at the time.

Of course it probably would have been stolen by now.

Tom K. 01-11-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie (Post 7302751)
I bought a 1982 Renault Fuego Turbo. My first new car and my last big mistake. I was naive and didn't realize a car could be that poorly made. Learned a lot.

Similar to my new car mistake - a '78 Renault Lecar (R5). Almost as bad as my used car mistake -a clapped out '55 TR2 with a concealed racing history bought in 1962.

Tom

JimD1 01-11-2013 11:52 AM

I bought a Fiat 124 Spyder that was stored outside with a leaking back window in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is not good for convertibles due to the lack of sunshine and Fiat 124s love to rust. Rainy weather and outside storage + leaking roof meant mega rust and more electrical problems. Loads of fun to drive on the few sunny days when it was operable but it did not last long. It also like to break down on the other side of town. Should have walked away from that for sure when I saw it was not a "garage queen".

Jim

SD Z4MR 01-11-2013 05:57 PM

1. In 1969 I bought a used 1966 Ford Fairlane 2 dr. Sedan. The dealer swore that the car was in great shape and had never been in an accident. I was 18, didn't know much about cars yet, and my dad wasn't much help. Less than 2 years later the left front fender rusted through because it had been in an accident and wasn't primed and painted correctly. Six months later the engine blew up. This was also the only car I've ever owned with an automatic. I swore I would never buy a used car again. I actually just broke that promise when I bought my Z4 M Roadster last July. So far, so good!

2. The first brand new car that I bought, after the engine blew up in the Fairlane, was a 1972 Ford Pinto. After comparing it to the Mercury Capri I was convinced that even though it was much less expensive, with radial tires, some suspension upgrades, and a sportier steering wheel, it would be just as good. I was wrong. (A friend bought the Capri.) After taking it to a Ford dealer for a problem with the turn signals the steering wheel literally fell off within blocks from the dealer. I took it back to the dealer and complained. They kicked me out and told me never to come back. That's when I swore I would never buy a US car again, a promise that I've kept to this day. I bought a new 1974 Toyota Celica GT and have bought new Japanese cars, mostly Hondas or Acuras, up to and including my 2000 Honda S2000, which I sold after I bought the M Roadster.

3. Not my car, but in 1978 my live-together girl friend bought a new VW Rabbit, not my first choice (and with an automatic!). Initially the car was great, but it turned out to be one of the worst cars ever in which I've had a financial interest. The car was completely unreliable and falling apart when we split up in 1984. Fortunately, that was no longer my problem.

BMW220i 01-12-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie (Post 7302751)

When we moved to the UK in 2008, we bought a used Rover Metro. Fortunately that was only a 200 mistake.

I suspected that the Fuego was a pile of junk but it looked ok from the outside.

DrT 01-15-2013 06:15 PM

Bought a Ford twice. My first was a 1984 Mustang in which the tranny when out on me on the interstate coming home from college. And my second a 1985 Ford LTD II. It had a smooth ride but will overheat and turn off, and would not start if it was too hot outside. But would after it cool off. So I learned to drive the car at night and run all my errands then. Lol.

e30325i 01-16-2013 11:33 AM

i painted my wheels while they were still on the car lol..ended up having to replace a caliper and pads

408Racer 01-17-2013 01:08 PM

Not really a mistake but I was trying to lock my car via the Comfort Access ridges and it was acting up...so I kept sliding my finger on the ridges. I was determined to get it to work (as it does 99% of the time).

This really hot Asian babe laughs at me as she walked by and said, "You're not rubbing it right" with a mischievous smile on her face. My face turned red and I experienced one of those out of body things where I was frozen for several seconds.

Before I could respond, she was into her AW E90 335i and gone. Yes, she also had Comfort Access.

e30325i 01-18-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 408Racer (Post 7320575)
Not really a mistake but I was trying to lock my car via the Comfort Access ridges and it was acting up...so I kept sliding my finger on the ridges. I was determined to get it to work (as it does 99% of the time).

This really hot Asian babe laughs at me as she walked by and said, "You're not rubbing it right" with a mischievous smile on her face. My face turned red and I experienced one of those out of body things where I was frozen for several seconds.

Before I could respond, she was into her AW E90 335i and gone. Yes, she also had Comfort Access.

shldve said can you rub it for me:rofl:

408Racer 01-18-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e30325i (Post 7321969)
shldve said can you rub it for me:rofl:

LOL!:D

I was to dumbfounded. :ouch:

zibawala 01-18-2013 09:59 PM

Not getting BMW apps on my F30;( can we add?
Not getting premium audio on my x5 diesel and adaptive drive;( as ride and steering feel sucks

BenF12400 01-19-2013 06:30 AM

In 1978 I started in practice as a physician, thought I was cool (single male), took out a loan to buy malpractice insurance, used part of it to buy a new Corvette. Was in the shop 32 times in 6 months. This was before lemon laws and before loaner cars. From the factory the car had the wrong battery, wayoff alignment, electrical problems (radio would die, wipers would stop working simultaneously). I was afraid to even drive it. Dealer said they wouldn't tow it "if it gets cold" because the fiberglass would crack. Sold it 5 years later with 11000 miles on it (by that time seemed to be running ok). Purchaser thought I ad it repainted because it looked so good. What a piece of crap car.

Virginia Bill 01-21-2013 04:13 PM

I once bought a Camry. I don't know why.

pony_trekker 01-21-2013 07:03 PM

I leased my first BMW, an E46 in 2003. I had to have a software update done pretty soon after I bought it, and was given an E39 loaner. Was tank

Regret giving it back.

e30325i 01-23-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 408Racer (Post 7322323)
LOL!:D

I was to dumbfounded. :ouch:

she mustve been bad :wow:

myfbforumname 01-24-2013 06:25 PM

Having one when I didn't need it. Cars are a horrible waste of time and money and unless you're wealthy, you should try to do without. That's my only real mistake.

07 E63650i 01-24-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 408Racer (Post 7320575)

That was your chance to test drive her! :D

e30325i 01-26-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 07 E63650i (Post 7336542)
That was your chance to test drive her! :D

Correct :thumbup: