Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Best diagnostic/coding tools? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669091)

lgr122 01-09-2013 09:38 PM

Best diagnostic/coding tools?
 
What kind hardware/software would be best to get for e46?
First purpose would be to read codes, but i think i don't want to buy something which can only read codes, i want to be able to recode stuff also.
Can these easily remap ECU? Some software updates available?
I'm not sure if I'm going to, but i want to get something good which can go all the way.

Can there be some good program for laptop? (BMW Carsoft?)
What kind cables and plugs are needed?
Any other good stuff out there?

heztheone 01-09-2013 11:47 PM

search for "BMW Scanner 1.4.0"

lgr122 01-10-2013 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heztheone (Post 7302727)
search for "BMW Scanner 1.4.0"

That looks good, might get one of those...

How about anything for remapping ECU?
Might be too much for me to handle, but there's some upgrade kit, camshaft and bit other stuff, and it says that ECU should be remapped for best result.
Mechanical parts i can handle myself, but how about that software part?

heztheone 01-10-2013 02:01 AM

i'm not sure u can remap the ECU for better performance (to provide +15hp for example) this is a very good tool to scan for codes, reset codes and do the fun stuff like turning the fog lights with high beams and so on... contact them for more info

lgr122 01-10-2013 02:13 AM

Ofcourse coding alone can't give more power, but i'm curious about options.
Or... does that ECU just learn on it's own when i just bolt on mechanical parts?

Anyway Carsoft 6.5 sounds interesting as well.
Anyone who have used that?

lgr122 01-10-2013 08:05 PM

Noone uses Carsoft 6.5? Everyone has BMW Scanner 1.4.0?
If that's so, then i believe i got my answer. :thumbup:

GoForthFast 01-10-2013 10:08 PM

Cams is nasty stuff on the e46

Are you sure u can do it?

lgr122 01-10-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoForthFast (Post 7305094)
Cams is nasty stuff on the e46

Are you sure u can do it?

Thinking about it, but it's not on top of the list.
Shocks and clutch are next to buy.

I think i could deal with camshaft, but i know opening up engine is always bit risky so should think everything through very well before starting.
I'm fine with mechanical parts, just electronics/software part always makes me wonder.
What if it just doesn't want to run with wrong part???
Anyway i'm running M43 engine in mine which is bit more simple about those.

Generally I have more ideas than money. :D

heztheone 01-11-2013 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgr122 (Post 7305116)
Generally I have more ideas than money. :D

don't we all :rofl:

bluebee 01-11-2013 06:00 AM

From the bestlinks:
Making sense of the most often recommended BMW diagnostic tools & cable interfaces (1) & BMW factory & dealer programming, coding, and diagnostic software such as INPA, EDIABAS, NCS Expert, DIS, EasyDIS, Progman (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) & related BMW diagnostic-tool forums (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

lgr122 01-15-2013 10:09 AM

Ordered that BMW Scanner 1.4.0. hope it comes soon.
And i guess i should get laptop also.
Wife has one, but maybe i shouldn't expect to use that one for this purpose. :D

heztheone 01-31-2013 05:00 AM

did u get that scanner yet? what are the options you were able to do besides checking for codes?

lgr122 01-31-2013 07:35 AM

I got scanner couple days ago yes, but didn't quite install and get to it yet.
Wife has Windows 7 in her computer, and this one has XP, but this one is not portable... so thinking about what's smartest way to deal with it.
Might even get some old second hand laptop just for scanner use, they are quite cheap.

SJBimmer 01-31-2013 09:59 AM

http://www.bmwcoding.com/

heztheone 01-31-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgr122 (Post 7350462)
I got scanner couple days ago yes, but didn't quite install and get to it yet.
Wife has Windows 7 in her computer, and this one has XP, but this one is not portable... so thinking about what's smartest way to deal with it.
Might even get some old second hand laptop just for scanner use, they are quite cheap.

no need, simply install Windows XP on a virtual PC (lots of info on google how to use a Virtual PC) on ur wife's laptop and u'll b good to go. u'll do all ur work from the virtual PC.

lgr122 02-01-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heztheone (Post 7352136)
no need, simply install Windows XP on a virtual PC (lots of info on google how to use a Virtual PC) on ur wife's laptop and u'll b good to go. u'll do all ur work from the virtual PC.

Ok, so will do that way then, but not sure when i have time to play with it.

Got stuck in snow wednesday night and toasted my clutch in process of getting out of there.
Well... that clutch wasn't very good anymore anyway, car still moves somewhat, and i already got those clutch parts... but it kind of jumped bit in priority.

GCoop 02-01-2013 07:26 AM

I use the BMW factory tools. INPA, DIS, WinKFP, NCS, SSS/Progman. They are out there in the wild and can be obtained easily. (Well, at least they were 3 years ago. now :dunno:)

I have been able to do anything I have needed to do so far. Reading and clearing codes, Reading BMW factory codes that a reg hand held reader will not show, Programming car key memory options, Alarm retrofit coding.

All the information you would ever need in order to do this is on one of the other forums in the coding and diagnostic section. Worth considering i think.

TannerT 02-01-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCoop (Post 7352598)
I use the BMW factory tools. INPA, DIS, WinKFP, NCS, SSS/Progman. They are out there in the wild and can be obtained easily. (Well, at least they were 3 years ago. now :dunno:)

I have been able to do anything I have needed to do so far. Reading and clearing codes, Reading BMW factory codes that a reg hand held reader will not show, Programming car key memory options, Alarm retrofit coding.

All the information you would ever need in order to do this is on one of the other forums in the coding and diagnostic section. Worth considering i think.

Plus 9 million

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App

Fishful Thinking 02-01-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heztheone (Post 7302800)
i'm not sure u can remap the ECU for better performance (to provide +15hp for example) this is a very good tool to scan for codes, reset codes and do the fun stuff like turning the fog lights with high beams and so on... contact them for more info

Have you indeed accessed and programmed the LCM? I cannot access it on mine. I'd love to play with the light settings.

heztheone 02-03-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishful Thinking (Post 7353376)
Have you indeed accessed and programmed the LCM? I cannot access it on mine. I'd love to play with the light settings.

no i didn't get the BMW Scanner, but i googled alot about it and appears u could do that.
that's why i wanted to be sure from someone who got it (lgr122) that he can do that for certain...

lgr122 02-08-2013 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heztheone (Post 7352136)
no need, simply install Windows XP on a virtual PC (lots of info on google how to use a Virtual PC) on ur wife's laptop and u'll b good to go. u'll do all ur work from the virtual PC.

Minor set back, her laptop can't have virtual PC.
(Atleast not without paying more money, which i'm not going to.)
Will see if could borrow another laptop just for testing scanner bit, but now i'm again thinking of getting some old laptop just for scanner. Some mates are giving away those almost free once in a while, and running XP (or even Win98) would be enough, doesn't need much power for that use.

heztheone 02-08-2013 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgr122 (Post 7367641)
Minor set back, her laptop can't have virtual PC.
(Atleast not without paying more money, which i'm not going to.)

installing a virtual PC is like updating ur windows, it's always for free :confused:
simply google it, their are plenty of how-to's

lgr122 02-08-2013 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heztheone (Post 7367651)
installing a virtual PC is like updating ur windows, it's always for free :confused:
simply google it, their are plenty of how-to's

Depends on version of Windows7, tried to go there and download, and it started like supposed to, but then it said that i should pay for some update before it gives. That Acer had Windows7 ready installed when bought it, might be bit limited version though, anyway wouldn't want to mess because THAT computer has all programs completely legal and paid for. I ofcourse i don't have cracked Win98 or Win2000 or WinXP or Win7 install disks, but i probably get stuff working, should just have some other computer for it.

heztheone 02-08-2013 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgr122 (Post 7367653)
Depends on version of Windows7, tried to go there and download, and it started like supposed to, but then it said that i should pay for some update before it gives. That Acer had Windows7 ready installed when bought it, might be bit limited version though, anyway wouldn't want to mess because THAT computer has all programs completely legal and paid for. I have cracked Win98 and Win2000 and WinXP and Win7 install disks, so i will surely get stuff working, but should have some other computer for it.

oh ok, tough luck :eeps:
keep us posted when everything works out :D

lgr122 03-15-2013 08:01 AM

Ok got new (OLD, 15) laptop and tried BMW Scanner 1.4.0 first time... and it gave "access violation at address... " message, but i already found instructions about what to do with it. (http://www.resettools.com/bmw_scanner_1.4.0)

Anyway should i have engine running when using this? Or never have engine running?
What kind stuff is what i might or might not have depending on my device?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms