Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Couple of quick questions (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669253)

GetMeABeer 01-10-2013 03:15 PM

Couple of quick questions

Hey, had the day off today, so going through everything and noticed a couple of things. I'm sure they've been covered ad nauseum here, so forgive me.

Looking at my OG window sticker, my 6er is fairly stock, only the L7 is billed. But I noticed that I have a couple of things that I didn't think were standard, but appear to be on the 05.

Is the 8.8 iDrive screen with NAV standard? I thought the 6.6 one was. Also, is that screen HD and is there anyway to play DVD's through the NAV DVD drive?

Is the ambiance lighting package standard on the 05? It's fantastic, totally in love with it.

Other little things I thought cost extra; the lumbar. The WB, weather band station, don't ask me why, didn't think everyone had that. Weird thing is, there's no heated steering wheel? I know the button is in an odd spot, but it's not there. I posted I had the cold weather package, but I don't.

Blue tooth works great, but there's no way to stream music from your iPhone, right? And it says, cell phone hookup, which I thought meant a holder and outlight in the center console, but there's nothing there. Also, there's no hotel function in the center console or valet keys.

For the power outlights, I have the lighter in the ashtray and the hidden one under the passenger side glove, which doesn't seem to work with my iPhone charger, but my lighter does. So basically, there are only 2 power plugs? Seems strange, I thought I read there was one in the glove box, wish there was, so I could leave my phone plugged in and locked. But if I do leave my phone plugged in, it shuts off with the car right, so it won't drain the battery? Which is great if it does, every other car I had kept charging, which I don't want in case I forget and leave something plugged in.

Also, having trouble programming my garage door opener, didn't think that was standard either? But I followed the instructions, repeated many times, but it's a no go. Is there any trick to that I'm missing?

Anyway, loving the car. Quite simply, one of the finest automobiles ever made, it's a sexy beast! Going to get some more pics up this weekend.

rebel.ranter 01-10-2013 04:15 PM

Type your VIN in to this site to,find out exactly what options are fitted to your car:

http://www.bmwvin.com

The programmable mirror is not standard, larger iDrive screen not standard, screen is not HD. The Bluetooth kit that comes as standard does not support the A2DP standard required for the streaming of music. The weather band station can be coded on in any 6.

What do you mean by ambience lighting? The orange LEDs illuminating the centre console? If so then yes, all 6 have them.

There is a hotel function, the key slot for it is built in to the rear section of the centre console, the lid for it opens rearwards.

I'm not sure whether the car would go to sleep if you left your phone plugged in, a good way to check is to leave t plugged in, lock the car for 20 minutes, if the light that lights up the "P" on the gear shift area is still lit then the car has not gone to sleep. I believe that the car goes to sleep after 16 minutes, maybe someone might correct me on that?

You can buy a lead that plugs in the the glove box torch socket in the glove box & it has an adapter on the end that you could plug your charger into. If you have an iPhone 3 or 4 you can buy an adapter that fits under the centre armrest that will charge yourmiphone & it also has a connection for the antenna of your phone to the antenna built in to the rear windshield, the adapter costs approx 100, so in the US you guys will probably get the, for $100.

Yorgi 01-11-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GetMeABeer (Post 7304226)
Is the 8.8 iDrive screen with NAV standard? I thought the 6.6 one was. Also, is that screen HD and is there anyway to play DVD's through the NAV DVD drive?

All 6ers in North America come with NAV and the 8.8" screen. You need an aftermarket interface unit to play video on the iDrive screen.

Quote:

Is the ambiance lighting package standard on the 05? It's fantastic, totally in love with it.

Yes, it's standard.

Quote:

Other little things I thought cost extra; the lumbar. The WB, weather band station, don't ask me why, didn't think everyone had that.

All standard.

Quote:

Weird thing is, there's no heated steering wheel? I know the button is in an odd spot, but it's not there. I posted I had the cold weather package, but I don't.

Heated steering is optional I believe.

Quote:

Blue tooth works great, but there's no way to stream music from your iPhone, right? And it says, cell phone hookup, which I thought meant a holder and outlight in the center console, but there's nothing there. Also, there's no hotel function in the center console or valet keys.

No bluetooth audio streaming. What exactly says "cellphone hookup", owner's manual? The car will pair with the phone via bluetooth but the iPhone snap-in adapter for the armrest is extra. Check your owner's manual for the location of the armrest keyhole for valet.

Quote:

Also, having trouble programming my garage door opener, didn't think that was standard either? But I followed the instructions, repeated many times, but it's a no go. Is there any trick to that I'm missing?

Programming the HiomeLink is a bit tricky. Here is a thread with info.

GetMeABeer 01-11-2013 06:14 AM

Thanks for the clarification and links guys. My salesman was a really nice guy, but I knew more about the car than him.

Rebel, the ambient lighting is the center console lights and the various other other touches of light; door handles, cubby compartments, foot rest area, the lighted door sill. My older BMW only had the orange center ones. I'm a sucker for the little touches like that. Found the hotel lock, thought it was in the front, not the rear. Didn't get a valet key, but still nice feature. It looks like the charger does sleep when the car is off, but going to run your suggested test. Thanks for the info.

Yorgi, not exact words, the ad said .******phone slot/ holder or something like that, can't remember exact words. Have an iPhone 5 so I'm out of luck for the built in holder for now anyway. Hopefully they'll release one and I'll run an powerpoint there. Good news is no problems with the phone linking to the car. I read some threads where others had issues with that. But come to think of it, didn't see that on the sticker. The various listings for the car had conflicting info. It seemed like just a stock listing and not car specific, so it was misleading, always good to have the original window sticker. But thanks for the info and link to the homelink thread. Still giving me problems, but I'm sure I'll get it to go eventually.

Soldes 01-12-2013 07:38 AM

Garage Door Programing

Dont mean to come across as a Smart A....:bigpimp:; but, in order to do the programing, you have to start the car. In addition, the late model garage openers, have a different way of programing; in which one person has to push a button in the garage unit (on a ladder), an another has to do the button pushing in the car. In mine, after pushing the button once in the garage unit, you have 30 seconds to push the button in your car==>Programing Done. With the older garage openers, all you have to do is: hold the romote control a few inches from the rear view mirror where the car buttons are, and then press both the remote and the button that you select simultaneously, until the car button light starts flickering. Hope this Helps:thumbup:

roseng 01-12-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

For additional screen video have a look at this one.

I have it and I'm happy with it. it has multiple inputs.

In fact I added a rear camera, ipod video, and even my cell phone on the screen ( requires a cell phone with video out of course.)

I purchased it from this company and I needed support and they were very helpful.

Good Luck.