Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Z4 Roadster (E85) #-#-# need help with turnsignal issue#-#-# (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669259)

Kamal Baydoun 01-10-2013 03:40 PM

#-#-# need help with turnsignal issue#-#-#

Hi to everyone and thank you in advanced for having me.

2003 Bmw z4

Issue im having is with my RIGHT TURN SIGNAL. everything seems to be working GREAT but i have a glowing indicator on my cluster that says i have a light thats burnt.

When i turn my right signal on it blinks MUCH faster then when i use my left signal. but everything seems to be okay
running lights side signal rear signal front signal all work fine. problem im having is the glowing indicator and the turn signal flashing\/blinking fast, can it be a relay? i tried removing the battery cable for a few hours with no luck

shipkiller 01-10-2013 04:04 PM

The car is telling you that you have a burnt out bulb. The faster blinking is another indicator of a burnt out bulb. It could be a faulty relay but you better make SURE all (I think three maybe four) turn signal bulbs are good.

You are going to have to turn on the blinker, walk around the car and find the bulb...

Kamal Baydoun 01-10-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipkiller (Post 7304326)
The car is telling you that you have a burnt out bulb. The faster blinking is another indicator of a burnt out bulb. It could be a faulty relay but you better make SURE all (I think three maybe four) turn signal bulbs are good.

You are going to have to turn on the blinker, walk around the car and find the bulb...

I did the turn signal in the front should stay on at night for running light it should also blink when turn signal is applied so should the side and so should the rear and they all work they just blink VERY FAST and i have a indicator light on the cluster.

where would the relay be located?
and if the relay is faulty shouldnt the left signals have the same issue because they dont

shipkiller 01-10-2013 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Went back and looked. No relay. The turn signals are controlled from the Light Switch Module (LSM).

Here is a rough looking schematic of the circuit.

Unless your LSM is bad (most unlikely) you have a burnt bulb or a bulb on the way out and it's resistance is off so the LSM is reporting a bad bulb.

Kamal Baydoun 01-10-2013 04:44 PM

What else can it be i just ran outside with my father we looked at everything and it all looks fine?

brock5ga 01-11-2013 03:35 AM

You may need to remove the bulbs and verify the proper bulbs have been installed. The vehicles with the lighting modules and bulb out indicators typically measure the resistance of the bulb to verify function. If the bulb is not replaced with a proper bulb of the same number, you will get the indication that a bulb is out, even if all are working. If you have recently changed a bulb, go there first. While bulbs may look and fit the same, they have different brightness and resistance characteristics. Start there first. Unplug the bulbs when inspecting and check for corrosion which may change the resistance characteristics.

FZbar 01-11-2013 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brock5ga (Post 7305237)
You may need to remove the bulbs and verify the proper bulbs have been installed. The vehicles with the lighting modules and bulb out indicators typically measure the resistance of the bulb to verify function. If the bulb is not replaced with a proper bulb of the same number, you will get the indication that a bulb is out, even if all are working. If you have recently changed a bulb, go there first. While bulbs may look and fit the same, they have different brightness and resistance characteristics. Start there first. Unplug the bulbs when inspecting and check for corrosion which may change the resistance characteristics.

How about a corroded light socket to bulb connection which could increase resistance.

Fred

Droptop85 01-11-2013 10:51 AM

^ that was the problem with my car. I removed the bulbs and re-inserted them. Problem fixed.

DFREASE 01-16-2013 11:17 AM

Z3 river

I had the same problem. I found all the lights worked ok. The problem was a brake light bulb.