Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   General BMW (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   no engine dipstick (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669328)

kdaifi 01-10-2013 11:04 PM

no engine dipstick

i think the most stupid think bmw maker did is when they removed the engine dipstick , the benz maker did not remove it neither many luxury cars , i did send many emails to them , no reply , we have 2 bmw , 7 series and 6 series, 2 of them have malfunctions in reading oil level , i took it to agent and found no problem with sensors, one day i heard noise from engine which i know what is it and looked at display and looked ok and full oil level , i immediately shut it off , and i added more oil, around 4 litters , the noise gone and took it to maintenance and changed oil ,
you cannot trust electronics in critical issues like oil level or water level , any malfunction will cause expensive repair which is not worthily saving the stick

haskindm 01-11-2013 08:19 AM

Unfortunately you can't trust owners to check the oil either. There are drawbacks to both systems. In a perfect world I would prefer both.

JimD1 01-11-2013 11:57 AM

We do safety and/or quality briefs at the start of meetings. In a meeting this week the brief was on the GM pickup recall for no secondary hood latch. I suggested the owners were also at fault for not noticing the lack of a latch. People started looking at each other. Someone asked how would you know. I asked how many had never opened their hood. It was nearly half the room (most of the females, some of the males). I had to explain that the secondary latch is the one you still have to address after popping the inside lever. People who never open the hood are not going to use a dipstick. I'm not sure they deserve cars to drive but they have them.

kdaifi 01-11-2013 09:38 PM

why not

i think haskindm is correct , why not have both ?, i do not think it is about saving , i think it is a stupidity , there is no reason not have both ,
if someone never open hood , why the rest of us have to be punished ? if someone does not care , do we have to be the same ?
i challenge can some one get official reply from BMW maker , the reason for not having both .
Benz maker have , and all luxury cars do have it ,

i give a prove of the stupidity , the 7 series until 2000 have in there screen a calender that displays date and day , in the new one's no day in the screen , is it saving ? if for any reason from any pocket , why not have it as option selection ?

i tell you another thing never expected, when the agent changed the firs oil change in my 7 series , found one screw missing from crank case , never installed as tech. explained , they forgot it . which caused the slowly leakage and electronics sensors did not read it , neither the display show any missing oil , i was given full level reading and engine giving noise .

DAI 01-12-2013 07:15 AM

I believe the 'official' reason for removing the dipstick was emissions related. 80% sure my memory is serving me correctly.

kdaifi 01-12-2013 11:56 AM

No way emission cause , i have asked several guys from bmw in Munich , all have no idea
there many things as mentioned earlier , all toward stupidity
thanks for the share