Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X1 E84 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   My BMW Remote - iPhone app (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669402)

vbbuilt 01-11-2013 10:07 AM

My BMW Remote - iPhone app

I have the iConnect. I downloaded this app for the iPhone 5. One of it's features is to locate your vehicle, but no instructions came with the app.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this app?

While sitting in the vehicle, I selected the locate button, but the app responded "Vehicle location unknown. Update vehicle status and try again." Obviously, I'm not doing something correctly. How do I update the vehicle status?

Thanks, vince.

Perlova 01-11-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbbuilt (Post 7306046)
I have the iConnect. I downloaded this app for the iPhone 5. One of it's features is to locate your vehicle, but no instructions came with the app.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this app?

While sitting in the vehicle, I selected the locate button, but the app responded "Vehicle location unknown. Update vehicle status and try again." Obviously, I'm not doing something correctly. How do I update the vehicle status?

Thanks, vince.

Here is the essence of what it can do: On the X1 you can only do the locate and lock/unlock function as far as I know.

•"Remote Door Lock & Unlock" allows the car to be locked and unlocked from a smartphone.
•"Climate Control” makes it possible to control the interior temperature by adjusting the auxiliary ventilation and heating settings, and programming the systems by timer.
•With “Horn Blow” for sounding the horn and “Flash Light” for briefly switching on the exterior lights, users can trigger acoustic and visual signals to help them find their vehicle in crowded car parks, for instance.
•If the car is out of sight and hearing distance but within a radius of up to 1,5 km, the “Vehicle Finder” function is able to display a map on the smartphone screen showing the way to the vehicle’s location. This function is only available when the ignition is switched off, thereby making it impossible to track the vehicle’s movements.
•Finally, using Google Local Search, users are able to import points of interest (POIs) from their smartphone into the vehicle’s navigation system via the message list.

vbbuilt 01-11-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perlova (Post 7306262)
Here is the essence of what it can do: On the X1 you can only do the locate and lock/unlock function as far as I know.

•"Remote Door Lock & Unlock" allows the car to be locked and unlocked from a smartphone.
•"Climate Control” makes it possible to control the interior temperature by adjusting the auxiliary ventilation and heating settings, and programming the systems by timer.
•With “Horn Blow” for sounding the horn and “Flash Light” for briefly switching on the exterior lights, users can trigger acoustic and visual signals to help them find their vehicle in crowded car parks, for instance.
•If the car is out of sight and hearing distance but within a radius of up to 1,5 km, the “Vehicle Finder” function is able to display a map on the smartphone screen showing the way to the vehicle’s location. This function is only available when the ignition is switched off, thereby making it impossible to track the vehicle’s movements.
•Finally, using Google Local Search, users are able to import points of interest (POIs) from their smartphone into the vehicle’s navigation system via the message list.

I''m not sure what you're looking at, but this app has no function for controlling climate control, blowing a horn/flashing lights, nor interface with vehicles navigation system. You must be referring to another app?

Perlova 01-11-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbbuilt (Post 7306374)
I''m not sure what you're looking at, but this app has no function for controlling climate control, blowing a horn/flashing lights, nor interface with vehicles navigation system. You must be referring to another app?

vbbuilt....depending on which vehicle you have, this app can do more control functions. On some vehicles it can honk the horn, flash the lights and turn on the climate control system. On the X1 it can only unlock doors, find the location of the vehicle and send map data to the car.

nospam 01-11-2013 08:48 PM

Since it is an Exx series vehicle, the X1 should be able to support Google Local Search (w/send to iDrive), Remote Door Unlocking/Locking, and Vehicle Position. My parent's F30 does even more.

This FAQ doesn't include the X1 unfortunately: http://content.bmwusa.com/microsite/...remote_faq.pdf

I hit the BMW Assist button in my E90 and they helped me get the app working properly (since we have multiple vehicles and my parent's car was also linked to my account somehow).

the_fox 01-13-2013 03:40 PM

I can confirm Google search works with this AP, and it's great for sending destinations to the Nav.

vbbuilt 01-15-2013 05:43 AM

Thanks for all the responses! How do I get the "Google Local Search " to work? Are there instructions somewhere?

Vince.

Perlova 01-15-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbbuilt (Post 7314377)
Thanks for all the responses! How do I get the "Google Local Search " to work? Are there instructions somewhere?

Vince.

Its pretty straight forward.
Click on the Control icon, then click on "Google Local Search".
That takes you to Google Maps. On the top search line put in your address or point of interest. If your address is found, google maps will put red push pins on the map. Touch one of the push pins to reveal the address. If that address is the one you want, press the blue arrow pointing to the right. It will show the details of the search. Now press "Send to Vehicle" to have the address sent to your car.
You will find the address in your cars messages menu. From there you can initiate a GPS navigation session.

Of course this all assumes that you have configured the application to talk to the account associated with your car.

vbbuilt 01-15-2013 07:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Perlova (Post 7314622)
Its pretty straight forward.
Click on the Control icon, then click on "Google Local Search".
That takes you to Google Maps. On the top search line put in your address or point of interest. If your address is found, google maps will put red push pins on the map. Touch one of the push pins to reveal the address. If that address is the one you want, press the blue arrow pointing to the right. It will show the details of the search. Now press "Send to Vehicle" to have the address sent to your car.
You will find the address in your cars messages menu. From there you can initiate a GPS navigation session.

Of course this all assumes that you have configured the application to talk to the account associated with your car.

Thanks! I actually found the user manual for this app, on the BMW website. It's attached.

Vince.

Perlova 01-16-2013 08:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Each time I try to do the location function. I get this error (attached)

Eventually if I push enough buttons the location comes back or I get a status but why the message and how do you update the cars status sat the message requests?

chefkahn 05-10-2013 02:57 PM

I called BMW Assist today because I couldn't get the app working either. At first they said it was me, but then I walked them through the process of trying to log in. It comes up with the error of "no vehicle found, try again later". Then the dug into it and saw a old Assist account I had a couple years ago and cleared it out... No dice, didn't fix it. Then they saw that it took 3 different calls to get Assist activated over a weeks time, so now I'm waiting for them to call me when it's resolved... I like tech stuff and I just want to play with the app...

Tanooki2 09-08-2013 10:16 AM

Does anyone know the status of using ConnectedDrive with Android? I searched on Google Play online and there is a My BMW app that seems to be the Android version, but it's not compatible with my phone (Galaxy Note 2), so I can't download it and try it. I think it's odd that it's not compatible since my phone is only 10 months old. Does anyone have Android working?

jimbob9999 09-08-2013 05:10 PM

Android app

1 Attachment(s)
I have a Nexus 4, and so I have the dubious privilege of being 'allowed' to use the BMW Connected app. Unfortunately it is a pale shadow of the iOS version - see the screenshot below. Specifically, it's missing Web radio and Twitter, along with Pandora and TuneIn as accessible external apps. In fact it's so lame, I ended up buying an iPod Touch for the car, which I connect to the internet via my Nexus 4 acting as a HotSpot (see this link for details: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651149)

Now my only problem is that the Nexus drops its bluetooth connections during a call after about a minute - but that's a problem for another day/forum!

Jimbob