Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Wht type of coolant does a 95 BMW 325i need? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669474)

Marine Guy 01-11-2013 03:27 PM

Wht type of coolant does a 95 BMW 325i need?
 
Sent from my VS910 4G using Bimmer App

SCJon 01-11-2013 04:34 PM

G-05 Zerex or BMW brand coolant. Only ones I would consider.

drive by72 01-11-2013 04:44 PM

And distilled water. If theres green in it now, flush it with distilled water before you put the G05 in

jonesin 01-11-2013 06:55 PM

Mercedes coolant is also perfectly acceptable, and the same price, just depends which is closer to you.

drive by72 01-18-2013 05:32 PM

Mercedes stuff in a BMW?

Now I remember why we pick on you...

:angel:

Jakobie1086 01-18-2013 06:19 PM

Yo just saying pretty much all modern coolant is safe for aluminum, regardless of the color. Ace hardware brand coolant says safe for aluminum, and the the peak anti freeze I'm using now is also safe for aluminum. Both are green. I suggest doing a coolant flushes, and I also REALLY suggest using distilled water to mix 50/50 but the color of the anti freeze means nothing.

jonesin 01-18-2013 07:13 PM

9 times in 10 the green stuff is Prestone or other non-aluminum safe coolant. Hence saying if you go with the right stuff, it'll likely be blue or pink.


Chadling, my roommate has 3 Merc's. If I need some coolant and he has some kicking around no point in heading over to our $tealership or spend my money...

dc_wright 01-18-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakobie1086 (Post 7323248)
Yo just saying pretty much all modern coolant is safe for aluminum, regardless of the color. Ace hardware brand coolant says safe for aluminum, and the the peak anti freeze I'm using now is also safe for aluminum. Both are green. I suggest doing a coolant flushes, and I also REALLY suggest using distilled water to mix 50/50 but the color of the anti freeze means nothing.

Many of the "aluminum safe" claims depend totally on mineral free distilled water being the other part of the 50/50 mix so that there is no reaction between the phosphate/silicate additives and the minerals in the water with the aluminum. You may be able to use regular phosphate infused green coolant mixed with distilled water without any issues, but if you get in a jam out on the road and need to add some water and don't happen to have a jug of distilled water handy, now you've got a problem. If you are running a phosphate free coolant (G-05, BMW or Merc brand) and you have to add some tap water in a jam you're OK.

Woodacre tom 01-18-2013 09:50 PM

Flush it out with clean water, pour in 1 gal of BMW coolant and a bottle of red line water wetter, top it off with water and you are good to go.

Make sure you bleed the system!!

jonesin 01-18-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodacre tom (Post 7323549)
Flush it out with clean water, pour in 1 gal of BMW coolant and a bottle of red line water wetter, top it off with DISTILLED water and you are good to go.

Make sure you bleed the system!!

ftfy.

john kaminski 01-19-2013 11:22 AM

If you have a dehumidifier, you have a source of distilled water as long there is no metal that rusts to contaminate the water -- I am Cheap

southpark11235 01-19-2013 11:49 AM

^Wow, you just saved a whole dollar with only a few hours work.:rolleyes:

drive by72 01-19-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southpark11235 (Post 7324266)
^Wow, you just saved a whole dollar with only a few hours work.:rolleyes:

:rofl: hey now, he has a point! If you have a dehumidifier running anyway, why not use that water? Think, if you're flushing the system, assume 5-6 gallons for a good thorough flush, and to add to the coolant. That's 6 bucks, plus gas to get to Walmart to get it. I'll take my 6 bucks and get subway instead :)

dc_wright 01-19-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john kaminski (Post 7324237)
If you have a dehumidifier, you have a source of distilled water as long there is no metal that rusts to contaminate the water -- I am Cheap

Not quite. Unless the dehumidifier has a HEPA rated filter it pulls in dust in the air which gets trapped with the condensate and winds up in the water trap. Unless you're filtering the water you're adding microgrit into whatever you're putting your "distilled" water in....


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms