Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Adding Heads Up Display (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669663)

Thomv 01-12-2013 02:24 PM

Adding Heads Up Display

I need to change my windshield and am curious how hard it would be to add 'heads up display' as my steering wheel effectively hides my speedometer.

Thks

digdesign 01-12-2013 02:36 PM

The heads-up unit costs around $3k.
I can't comment on how difficult it would be to retrofit, but I'd be surprised if it couldn't be done with the windshield in place.

AutoUnion 01-12-2013 03:04 PM

You need:

new dash (needs the cutout), new windshield, programming, new lightswitch, HUD unit

Sounds way too expensive

NoI4plz 01-12-2013 03:10 PM

BMW head up display.

If cost is no concern, can be done.
If cost is of concern, then no not possible.

ard 01-12-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoI4plz (Post 7308857)

Any automotive midification you can think of.

If cost is no concern, can be done.
If cost is of concern, then no not possible.

fixed...

:)

Audi Refugee 01-12-2013 04:11 PM

The steering wheel moves up and down and in and out, just as your seat moves. My suggestion would be to adjust your seat and steering column so that you can see your gauges. I know its not as cool as a HUD, but its way less expensive :)

NoI4plz 01-12-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7308934)
fixed...

:)

Thank You Ard:rofl:

NoI4plz 01-12-2013 04:31 PM

you didnt ask, however if your bummed that you cant retrofit it.

Theres a add that comes on the fest (usually to right), store called Infinite 360 or Bimmian (idk which). They have a HUD unit type thing, u stick to the dash anywhere you choose, it connects to the OBD port, and reads off a variety of info (plus somehow GPS info, but I think thru iphone bluetooth or something). Details are scant, but check them out. Its better than nothing i suppose.

tribecaX5 01-12-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audi Refugee (Post 7308976)
The steering wheel moves up and down and in and out, just as your seat moves. My suggestion would be to adjust your seat and steering column so that you can see your gauges. I know its not as cool as a HUD, but its way less expensive :)

This. I am sure with seat and steering wheel adjustments you will be able to see your gauges. Retrofitting the HUD is a ton of work and will cost a ton of money.

Thomv 01-12-2013 05:13 PM

Thks guys. Told me what I suspected. I have tried seat and steering adjustments. I have the same problem with my wife's 325xi. I have considered having the display decoded. One of you offered to do it remotely for a fee.

bkhk 01-12-2013 09:00 PM

I have HUD. When I got it I loved it, now I hardly look at it for some reason. It is good though.

Kar Don 01-12-2013 10:36 PM

Yeah you can probably get the center display to show your speed. I think The M3 has it that way.

RockChips 01-13-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoI4plz (Post 7309026)
you didnt ask, however if your bummed that you cant retrofit it.

Theres a add that comes on the fest (usually to right), store called Infinite 360 or Bimmian (idk which). They have a HUD unit type thing, u stick to the dash anywhere you choose, it connects to the OBD port, and reads off a variety of info (plus somehow GPS info, but I think thru iphone bluetooth or something). Details are scant, but check them out. Its better than nothing i suppose.

A real aftermarket HUD?

Hmm thats interesting.

RockChips 01-13-2013 10:16 AM

There are also HUD apps for smartphones, which project an image onto your windshield:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY_I-b5_mvc

NoI4plz 01-13-2013 05:18 PM

Aftermarket HUDs are probably not gonna be the same quality as a OEM part, since the development budget is FARRR bigger. However the ones I saw so far are about function over form. So basic information I guess. However i think judging by the video for the product I saw, it just seems as one of those sharper image. projection clocks, but the projected image is much brighter and displays ecu info.

woh0 01-14-2013 06:56 AM

I do not have the HUD on my car, but last week i took it in for service and the loaner that i got had the HUD.

I think it's a pretty good toy to have, but dont see much use for it. I know it displays the navigation information, but i dont use it enough to justify the added price.

That being said, I just downloaded a couple of apps for my iphone, and i must say they are pretty good. They display speed, music info if needed, time and compass. The best part was the price... $0 :thumbup:

Only draw back i saw was that you get a bit of a double number look to it because of the reflection.

I will also buy one of those sticky dashboard mats so that the phone doesn't slide all over the place