Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E34 (1989 - 1995) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   First 5 series - new owner questions (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669678)

Pela84 01-12-2013 03:32 PM

First 5 series - new owner questions
 
Hey I just bought a auto 1990 525i with 210k miles for $1500. The head was replaced 15k miles ago, timing belt replaced 20k ago... new suspension all around, newish tires (rubber goes fast here in the southwest, though). New hoses all around (except the lower radiator).

Although I already bought it (it was a pretty good deal - I couldn't pass it up), I was wondering if there are things specific to this car that I should look out for (common problems). The only real concern I have is the transmission having 210k miles on it... I read mixed reviews about the trans. and wonder if anybody has input on the reliability of it. It feels really solid, but I am used to a clutch and a stick. Shift points feel odd on down shift.

Thank in advance,

BMR_LVR 01-12-2013 06:42 PM

Cooling system
Front suspension
Auto transmission (if not serviced regularly)

Also, see: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=525152

boriska137 01-12-2013 07:54 PM

hello guys, I am planing to purchase a used 1995 540i with 116,000 miles on it . I was wondering if you have any comments about this model and it's relaibility
Thank you.
Bob

snowsled7 01-13-2013 07:16 AM

These are pretty durable cars That said, you will be on a continual maintenance program since it is a 20+ yr old high end vehicle.

Personally, I would never have bought one with an automatic. They seem to last fairly well when maintained but maintenance is often difficult to verify on cars of this age. At 210k miles, you are on borrowed time, few of them make it beyond 250k. It will not shift like a modern auto, because it isn't. Just make sure the fluid is the correct level and a nice red/pink color with no burnt smell. I think there is also a cable adjustment near the throttle body that affects shift points, make sure it is properly adjusted, I suspect the procedure is in the Bentley manual.

BMWFatherFigure 01-13-2013 08:08 AM

+1 on above. When (if) you get it give it a full Insp2 service and a wheel alignment. Bit expensive but gives a base line for future maintenance. Good luck with it. BTW keep an eye on battery cables, terminations and earth points. They seem to be the start of all sorts of problems. Get to them first.

Pela84 01-13-2013 11:04 AM

Thanks for the info...

rv6rick 01-14-2013 08:46 PM

I have the same car and would NEVER buy another one. It's basically like driving a tank with airconditioning. I parked mine in the garage a couple weeks ago,....came back 7 days later and it gave up the ghost. I've checked everything under the sun and everything imaginable and it still won't start.

You can have mine for free...come get it....it has only a couple hundred miles on a brand new set of tires. Interior is almost perfect. By the weekend we are going to push it out of the garage and into the woods behind our house. In about a hundred years it will melt right back into Mother Earth :).

Free Tip - I would NOT buy that car :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: !!

Rick in Ohio

Quote:

Originally Posted by boriska137 (Post 7309404)
hello guys, I am planing to purchase a used 1995 540i with 116,000 miles on it . I was wondering if you have any comments about this model and it's relaibility
Thank you.
Bob


paperplane94 01-14-2013 08:57 PM

^ now now...

driveright 01-14-2013 09:40 PM

I just bought a 520i with 125k only, front shocks where shot, battery, cluster, door handle seals, tappet cover gasket, front rotors, a/c clutch bearing,( not fixed ), all shot but now all fixed and I can't stop driving her, what a drive, a bit of a slug with the 2 ltr but worth every penny. enjoy your bimmer. BTW anyone had trouble with the LCD display in cluster that shows what gear you r in, mine fade out when it's hot weather

BMWFatherFigure 01-14-2013 10:30 PM

I wish I was over Ohio! Free car - just make it start! Woo Hoo!

MySatinDoll 01-14-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowsled7 (Post 7309890)
These are pretty durable cars That said, you will be on a continual maintenance program since it is a 20+ yr old high end vehicle.

This^

Quote:

Originally Posted by rv6rick (Post 7313919)
I have the same car and would NEVER buy another one. It's basically like driving a tank with airconditioning. I parked mine in the garage a couple weeks ago,....came back 7 days later and it gave up the ghost. I've checked everything under the sun and everything imaginable and it still won't start.

You can have mine for free...come get it....it has only a couple hundred miles on a brand new set of tires. Interior is almost perfect. By the weekend we are going to push it out of the garage and into the woods behind our house. In about a hundred years it will melt right back into Mother Earth :).

Free Tip - I would NOT buy that car :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: !!

Rick in Ohio

Not this^

Here's why.
Yes these are 20+ year old cars who in their prime were the good expensive imports from europe.
They will (within reason) take pretty much anything you throw at it.
However they are again 20+ year old cars.
There will be some maintenance... expect it, understand it, love it (not really), deal with it.
And not all of it will not be pretty.
If the idea of turning a wrench is not your cup of tea.
Then maybe these cars aren't for you. Go honda. Just honest.

It's like having kids.
You should already understand that they will cry, make a mess of things and/or themselves,
do some things that question your own intelligence, break a bone, get cuts, scrapes and some bruises.
They will just require some attention and love to make them happy and fly right.
If not then sell and by a honda.
Just being honest.

I agree autos are not the most ideal to dive into on a elder BMW.
But if it's strong and not jerky.
Drive it till it falls out and replace with a 5 speed manual.
Don't bother rebuilding the auto trans. Waste of time and money.

A 5 or 6 speed manual e34 is the epicenter of asphalt clitorical pleasure.

supertech777 01-15-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MySatinDoll (Post 7314116)
This^



Not this^

Here's why.
Yes these are 20+ year old cars who in their prime were the good expensive imports from europe.
They will (within reason) take pretty much anything you throw at it.
However they are again 20+ year old cars.
There will be some maintenance... expect it, understand it, love it (not really), deal with it.
And not all of it will not be pretty.
If the idea of turning a wrench is not your cup of tea.
Then maybe these cars aren't for you. Go honda. Just honest.

It's like having kids.
You should already understand that they will cry, make a mess of things and/or themselves,
do some things that question your own intelligence, break a bone, get cuts, scrapes and some bruises.
They will just require some attention and love to make them happy and fly right.
If not then sell and by a honda.
Just being honest.

I agree autos are not the most ideal to dive into on a elder BMW.
But if it's strong and not jerky.
Drive it till it falls out and replace with a 5 speed manual.
Don't bother rebuilding the auto trans. Waste of time and money.

A 5 or 6 speed manual e34 is the epicenter of asphalt clitorical pleasure.

Perfectly said ! ^+1
Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App

Pela84 01-15-2013 01:23 PM

Awesome stuff!
Yeah, I am not scared to turn a wrench at all. Not saying I know what I am doing... but I always make sure to do my research and LEARN what to do before I do it. So far the e34 is doing great. A lot of the suspension has been replaced over the past years - so it has a better than expected ride. I'm going to change the water pump, and replace the one remaining old hose that I can find before the AZ summer hits. Seems as though who ever changed the brakes decided not to replace the sensors on the pad. The dash light stating "brake lining" ALMOST bothers me enough to take the tires off and replace the sensors.

If any body is getting a car for speed, this is not the BMW for you - get the e30 with the same engine. But the ride is so nice and visibility is really good, too.

Monsignor 01-15-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pela84 (Post 7315521)
The dash light stating "brake lining" ALMOST bothers me enough to take the tires off and replace the sensors.

Funny enough, even that is too much effort! I replaced them, wheels on, car on the ground. Theres only two in the whole car.
  • Front driver's side
  • Rear passenger side

This is what it looks like
http://cdn102.iofferphoto.com/img/it...wear-senso.jpg
  1. Pull out the sensor from the pad in the caliper
  2. Unplug it at the connector
  3. Installation is the reverse of removal

And this is where you get them! Brake Pad Wear Sensor

Pela84 01-15-2013 01:39 PM

^WHAT?! this is good news!

Thanks!

Monsignor 01-15-2013 01:55 PM

if only everything was this easy

MySatinDoll 01-15-2013 02:03 PM

Thanks for reminding me. I have to hunt down my faulty brake sensor(s).

Monsignor 01-15-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MySatinDoll (Post 7315615)
Thanks for reminding me. I have to hunt down my faulty brake sensor(s).

brake lining or ABS? the difference is about 26x as expensive

MySatinDoll 01-15-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsignor (Post 7315636)
brake lining or abs? The difference is about 26x as expensive

abs.
I'm a yard rat. I'll hit the yard for a few of them and do the job if it warms up next week.

Monsignor 01-15-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MySatinDoll (Post 7315664)
abs.
I'm a yard rat. I'll hit the yard for a few of them and do the job if it warms up next week.

What are the chances you could find some for an E28?

Sent from Joe's Galaxy SIII via BimmerApp

MySatinDoll 01-16-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsignor (Post 7315947)
What are the chances you could find some for an E28?

Sent from Joe's Galaxy SIII via BimmerApp

Not good. but your on bf.c too right? contact shapeshifter.
He's my partner in crime when it comes to yarding.
He's in MD and has a ton of yards in his area.

Tell him Joe aka Nooch referred you

He'll probably be able to find it faster than me.

Monsignor 01-16-2013 12:15 PM

thanks man


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms