Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Are rear headrests on E93 conv adjustable? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669679)

ixsomerset 01-12-2013 03:33 PM

Are rear headrests on E93 conv adjustable?

We're buying a 328i convertible in March (ED from Munich). When we test drove the car our 11 year old son was in the back and he mentioned that the rear headrest made his head come forwards so that he wasn't so comfortable.

Are these rear headrests adjustable ideally forward/backwards; failing that up/down, or worst case removable?

We're planning on driving a long trip (20+hours driving each way) and want to know if it's going to be uncomfortable for him.

unrealii 01-12-2013 03:41 PM

From what I've seen, these head rests are okay. I don't think they are adjustable, but I think some have removed them to fit a baby seat. I've sat in the back of my car and didn't find any issue. Did you sit back there to confirm? I suggest posting a picture or try driving another e93.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Bimmer App

ixsomerset 01-12-2013 03:45 PM

Thanks - and good to hear this from an owner. Appreciated.

I may make a special trip to the dealership to check. (Unless anyone can confirm).

Perhaps it's just that my 11 year old is just the wrong height and they're sized for adults.

BruinsBMW 01-12-2013 05:10 PM

Just checked my 2012 e93. Rear headrests do not appear to be adjustable. No mechanism that I could see or feel. Sorry. Hope this doesn't prevent you from enjoying an otherwise terrific car!

ixsomerset 01-12-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinsBMW (Post 7309104)
Just checked my 2012 e93. Rear headrests do not appear to be adjustable.

Thank you BruinsBMW - really appreciated.

roadkillrob 01-12-2013 06:34 PM

Mine don't move either - assuming it is due the rollover protection system that they are attached to!

jaytank 01-12-2013 06:43 PM

Nope.. can't adjust it

Submariner 01-12-2013 07:15 PM

Same here. Fixed.

ixsomerset 01-12-2013 07:28 PM

Thank you! Really impressed by these responses. Maybe I should use a booster seat for my 11 year old son!

hondo402000 01-13-2013 03:36 AM

How about driving the car without him in riding in the back seat. And why would you consider not buying a car just because he didnt like the rear head rest, Is he planning on living at home and riding in the back seat till he is 40. My dad would have told me, Son when you help buy the car then I will listen to your input (no offense but these days parents want to be their kids buddies and not their parents)

Hondo

SteVTEC 01-13-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unrealii (Post 7308911)
From what I've seen, these head rests are okay. I don't think they are adjustable, but I think some have removed them to fit a baby seat. I've sat in the back of my car and didn't find any issue. Did you sit back there to confirm? I suggest posting a picture or try driving another e93.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Bimmer App

Yup that was me. It's not documented in the owners manual, but they do come out with a fairly significant amount of direct upward force, and then will pop back in. I had to take mine out because it was interfering with the back to my son's booster seat. He hit the height needed to go booster seat only without the back, so now I've got the headrest back in. Yes it's part of the rollover protection system. Both of the rear headrests will pop up during a rollover. If the OP hits the search, I think somebody posted a diagram or a link to something that explains how it works (probably kat).

Edit: Actually if you look very closely in my sig pic, you can tell that I have the left rear headrest removed here. It's back in now.

roadkillrob 01-13-2013 06:07 AM

My kids are 9 and 11 and the 9 year old rides in a booster seat all the time, the 11 year old doesn't seem to have any issues with the headrest, but he may just be a little taller or shorter that the headrest doesn't bother him - I would try him on a booster and see if it helps.

ixsomerset 01-13-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteVTEC (Post 7309749)
Yup that was me. It's not documented in the owners manual, but they do come out with a fairly significant amount of direct upward force, and then will pop back in. I had to take mine out because it was interfering with the back to my son's booster seat. He hit the height needed to go booster seat only without the back, so now I've got the headrest back in. Yes it's part of the rollover protection system. Both of the rear headrests will pop up during a rollover. If the OP hits the search, I think somebody posted a diagram or a link to something that explains how it works (probably kat).

Edit: Actually if you look very closely in my sig pic, you can tell that I have the left rear headrest removed here. It's back in now.

Great insight - think I read your thread earlier. God to know they're removable; also the aesthetics top down aren't too disrupted (thought it would look worse).

I suspect we'll go the booster seat route. As mentioned we'll be driving on two long trips this year (to enjoy the car).

fun2drive 01-13-2013 01:55 PM

I removed my headrests in the back seats almost 6 years ago. They move up and down and as reported a strong tug up and they are out. They reduce visibility too much for me and when out the plastic covers do a good job of covering the roll bars. I am going to get some padded roll bar material like you see on Jeep roll bars and just take the cover off and pad them. I really enjoy not having my rear vision blocked by having these head rests out...