Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1982 - 1993) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   no tach or economy gauge (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669783)

e30325i 01-13-2013 08:10 AM

no tach or economy gauge

the guy i got the car from said it worked untill he installed after market speakers all around but idk if he was just bsing me..my fuel guage wobbles but the light works..speedo and miles work fine..also no on board computer..ive changed all the fuses..is there any wires under the steering wheel that he may have disconnected cus its a mess under there from what hes done and have no clue where to start..any ideas wld b appreciated

hornhospital 01-13-2013 10:43 AM

Sounds like the PO did a real butcher job on the dash wiring. :tsk: Other than having a shop straighten it out I think your only other option is to dig into the dash, trace wires and reconnect the stuff that was cut, then wire the sound system correctly.

downhiller 01-13-2013 12:10 PM

or the SI batteries died

e30325i 01-13-2013 12:34 PM

yea there is all kinds of wires cut and re wired so itll b a job..si bats cld be dead but havnt the means to change them wld a dealership change them and is it gonna cost me a arm n leg

SWISS 01-13-2013 03:42 PM

Find a known working cluster and install it.

BMWFatherFigure 01-13-2013 09:54 PM

Fix your butchered loom first and leave out the sound. Solder and shrink sleeve all joints. Every where he went you follow and repair. Once you have done that then consider a replacement cluster if necessary. Follow all wires colour for colour. Once that is done then turn your attention to the audio 'installation' (I use the word loosely). Check all earths and plugs for damage - ensure they are clean and tight.
I take it the PO was either a radio installer, alarm installer or a farmer. LOL!

Newman271 01-15-2013 11:16 AM

There is a couple of plugs on the back of the cluster unit that if you hit them with your hand or hit a big bump then they can lose connection. I left my knee panel off cause every now and again I have to finger the back of the cluster to push on the plugs to get it to work again...
Atleast in my case only thing I can do is get new connector plugs and do some surgery.

e30325i 01-15-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newman271 (Post 7315193)
There is a couple of plugs on the back of the cluster unit that if you hit them with your hand or hit a big bump then they can lose connection. I left my knee panel off cause every now and again I have to finger the back of the cluster to push on the plugs to get it to work again...
Atleast in my case only thing I can do is get new connector plugs and do some surgery.

ima have to try that he may have made them loose...nice bimmer tho looks alot like mine lol