Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Quick question about texts on 2012 E92 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669793)

GreggBrent 01-13-2013 08:57 AM

Quick question about texts on 2012 E92
 
I was at dealership yesterday and nobody could answer this question! WTF? They all had different opinions. It was like bad comedy. So I searched on here and never could find definitive answer. Maybe someone can give simple answer to these two questions if possible.

So here goes:

1) If BMW Apps are NOT installed, and you're using an iPhone 5, can you get text up on the screen to have read to you? And can you dictate reply to texts, (maybe via Sirior something)? Since I'm getting a manual transmission, being able to listen to texts would be most helpful without fumbling with my phone.

2) If Apps is the ONLY way to get this to happen, can it be retrofitted? One guy there said NO, another said Yes. Then they argued. Then I left since no one knew for sure.

Also I still do have my old iPhone 4 I use for music mostly. Not sure if that can be worked in somehow.

I was just so surprised that no one at the place really could give a straight answer.
sigh

Technic 01-13-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreggBrent (Post 7310074)
I was at dealership yesterday and nobody could answer this question! WTF? They all had different opinions. It was like bad comedy. So I searched on here and never could find definitive answer. Maybe someone can give simple answer to these two questions if possible.

So here goes:

1) If BMW Apps are NOT installed, and you're using an iPhone 5, can you get text up on the screen to have read to you? And can you dictate reply to texts, (maybe via Sirior something)? Since I'm getting a manual transmission, being able to listen to texts would be most helpful without fumbling with my phone.

No. And no reply is supported.

Quote:

2) If Apps is the ONLY way to get this to happen, can it be retrofitted? One guy there said NO, another said Yes. Then they argued. Then I left since no one knew for sure.
If BMW Assist is installed then BMW Apps is there, but it will need a set of enabling codes to enable. No USA dealer will enable it. Contact forum vendor BimmerTech for details.

If BMW Assist is not installed then a Combox module would have to be retrofitted. Again, contact forum vendor BimmerTech for details. No USA dealer will retrofit a Combox.

Quote:

Also I still do have my old iPhone 4 I use for music mostly. Not sure if that can be worked in somehow.

I was just so surprised that no one at the place really could give a straight answer.
sigh
Dealers sells cars and parts, and fix your car. That's mostly it.

GreggBrent 01-14-2013 08:18 AM

Thanks Technic for straightforward answer. I'll contact bimmertech.

you'd think the salespeople trying to sell the cars would be able to answer these types of questions.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms