Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Heating issue (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669942)

E30sixer 01-14-2013 01:35 AM

Heating issue

I have an issue with my cars heat when I first bought the car it worked great ,, as does the AC too now the AC still works but the heat doesn't blow hot air only cold . I live in Pa definitely need heat ..I've tried narrowing down this issue but it doesn't seem to be neither thermostat nor water pump I replaced even have new hoses not that it would solve the problem but replaced only because they were there can't think of anything else .. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ..

miles_trail 01-14-2013 06:05 AM

I'm assuming coolant level is good and you bled the system properly after the hose replacement.
You should check the valve that let's coolant into the heater core.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App

drivinfaster 01-14-2013 11:44 AM

wait....wut???:confused:

if you replaced the thermostat and bled the system properly, and are not overheating, then you should have plenty of heat.

you *could* have a restricted heater valve, or heater core, but you will need to use a proper infra red thermometer to get accurate temp readings.

otherwise you're going to be guessing.

and guessing gets expensive....

i say go back and double check the cooling system is bled. these are tough enough for experienced automotive technicians, so it has been my experience that almost 90% of diy'ers that have done this have not done it properly.

df

E30sixer 01-14-2013 12:32 PM

Correct no overheating issues , though I was once told about the heater valve i don't know where it's located ,, and assuming the bleed system wasn't done the correct way what would be the proper way to bleed my system ,,,?

jonesin 01-14-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E30sixer (Post 7312588)
Correct no overheating issues , though I was once told about the heater valve i don't know where it's located ,, and assuming the bleed system wasn't done the correct way what would be the proper way to bleed my system ,,,?

From here:
http://www.bimmerdiy.com/

Id suggest going here:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...lant-Flush.htm

and following the steps they recommend.

Once you've gotten all the air out, start from the beginning and do it all over again, because you've still missed some air.

E30sixer 01-15-2013 05:49 PM

I couldn't help to remember . And I know it sounds stupid but . Could it be that from leaving the cap off on your rad an blowing coolant everywhere then putting coolant back in it cause this problem which would mean that there is air in the cooling system ?? Lol I know it sounds foolish but I did forget to tighten the cap on it one time

E30sixer 01-15-2013 05:53 PM

I will be doing a complete coolant flush on my e36 this weekend updates will be posted ..

jonesin 01-15-2013 05:59 PM

Yes, having the cap open while driving will induce air into the system.

E30sixer 01-15-2013 07:20 PM

:tsk: of coarse hey thanks a lot jonesin :tsk:

E30sixer 01-18-2013 03:41 PM

I did the coolant flush as instructed in the links an the car only has heat when running after I'm stopped for a little while the heat goes away .. I dont know what else to diagnose I'm stumped right now ... :( ??? I need heat in my e36 I live in a very cold area I'm originally from SoCal not used to this **** ...

E30sixer 01-18-2013 04:33 PM

Help anyone I'm trying to get my e36 up to par I just bought it not too long ago and I want to be able to have it running at 100% this isn't the first issue I'm sure ill be throwing tons of things out there to pick your brains .. And mine

hornhospital 01-18-2013 04:33 PM

You still have air in the system. If you drive it like that it's going to overheat.

E30sixer 01-18-2013 04:41 PM

I took it around the block nowhere too far . Just trying to figure out how it still ha air in the system how long do I let the car sit for with the bleed plug open .. ??

E30sixer 01-18-2013 04:43 PM

Another thing I was going to ask is it normal for an e36 to run just a tad hotter on the temp gauge like just barely .. Or does that mean I'm overheating ? Because it never shoots up just stays there steady

hornhospital 01-18-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E30sixer (Post 7323006)
I took it around the block nowhere too far . Just trying to figure out how it still ha air in the system how long do I let the car sit for with the bleed plug open .. ??

Until the bubbles stop. Even the tiny ones. Then do it again/more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by E30sixer (Post 7323010)
Another thing I was going to ask is it normal for an e36 to run just a tad hotter on the temp gauge like just barely .. Or does that mean I'm overheating ? Because it never shoots up just stays there steady

The temp gauges on BMWs are buffered. It will indicate straight up if it's anywhere in the neighborhood of normal temperature. If it's indicating a little high, it may just be a gauge glitch, or it might be actually running a little hot.

E30sixer 01-19-2013 11:17 AM

Hey thanks a lot seems to just be a gauge glitch I hope .. I'm actually going to be bleeding the system again today.. Hoping I can get all the Air out this time

Bimrpwr 01-21-2013 07:57 PM

try to clean the heater core. Lot of people will flush it out with CLR for about 30mins. and then Back flush it as well..

E30sixer 01-23-2013 12:22 AM

How would I flush heater core because when I was doing the coolant flush I let the car run for a lot longer than 30 min to let air bubbles out but still not any heat coming through only when I drive it around the block did it throw a little heat then as soon as I came to a stop it blew cold air ... :( compete fail

E30sixer 01-23-2013 12:40 AM

And also how would you even begin to back flush the system this is a sad sad story I feel like a fool that I haven't been able to get this fixed

Theo podges 01-23-2013 06:07 AM

I think this must be your heater valve.

On the right-hand drive cars they are situated on the fire-wall by your inlet manifold (two metal dome like pieces with coolant pipes running into them). When mine was disfunctional they kept the heat on no matter how you adjust the climate control.

E30sixer 01-23-2013 12:23 PM

Many thanks I was aiming towards the heater valve after all this nonsense .. I haven't been able to have my fun this winter cause no heat .. Ill be checking the heater valve Friday it's a little cold out 5 degrees cold right now

E30sixer 01-23-2013 02:05 PM

And another thing my car Is LHD ?? Don't know of its any different

cj32769 01-23-2013 03:24 PM

I had the same problem and had to add more coolant and bleed it even more now my heat has two settings off and cremate.

E30sixer 01-23-2013 08:13 PM

Haha sounds like the setting I need

E30sixer 01-23-2013 08:14 PM

.. I will be bleeding this car again and again till it blows heat I mean everything was replaced Idon t understand this is definitely turning out to be a huge headache