Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Transmission Fault - 6.45ci (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669943)

shamyl 01-14-2013 12:43 AM

Transmission Fault - 6.45ci

Hey Guys... Need some help please.... I have a 6.45ci (2005) convertible.... every time my car would shift gears, it would clunk heavily... and then when i turned off the engine, then tried to re-start - the car would not start at all.... the engine wouldn't even keel over - no sound or action whatsoever. I was told that there is a sensor of some sort in the transmission that send a signal to the transmission - apparently that sensor or whatever it is that sends the signal is not working... and needs to be replaced.

Does this sound plausible to anyone? Is there any thing else it could be? Any idea what the cost would be to sort this issue?

Really appreciate any advice

Thank you

Yorgi 01-14-2013 10:02 PM

If the problem is only some sort of senor then how does that explain the bad shifting?

My first guess is your battery is dead. I would get that checked first.

If the battery is OK then you will have to bring the car in, there are way too many things this could be to diagnose over the internet.

shamyl 01-14-2013 11:14 PM

Battery is absolutely fine - nothing wrong there.... I did take it into the garage, and they told me the sensor that sends the gear shift message to the transmission is faulty - hence needs to be changed. Has anyone had a similar problem like this with their car?

shamyl 01-15-2013 05:47 AM

Hi Guys... Ok, I have had another garage take a look at the car... The car was apparently not starting because the battery was dead! They have fully charged the battery and the car is starting fine. Voltages with and without load are according to specification. There is no probe with the alternator - its charging the battery fine.

However since my transmission is very clunky and lunges forward each time it changes gears, the garage told me that they cannot program it anymore due to an internal mechanical problem from the gearbox itself.

I have been advised to buy a new gearbox! That sounds awfully expensive - even for a second hand one.... surely these things can get reconditioned or repaired right?

Are there other possible issues that could be the problem? Instead of replacing the entire gearbox?!!

Thanks

645/333 01-15-2013 06:50 AM

First try a transmission reset, plenty of info how to do it, now that your battery is okay. Next having done this when you say the car is clunking into gear, is it is doing hard shunts when you go down through the gears particularly at low speed around 3-2-1 gears???? Or when you have slowed down and then you accelerate forward it slams into gear????

davewoolley 01-15-2013 08:25 AM

I have that similar prob, mine also had a winding sound, my repair shop said need torque conv, tranny . So I picked car up and took it to a transmission shop to get there 2 cents.

amennrahh 01-16-2013 09:34 PM

Transmission issues, look into the transmission solenoids. I had the same issues with my transmission and changed out the solenoids, problem solved. I cant even feel the tranny shifting anymore. I dont get it. Most shops recommend a new transmission whenever you have tranny issues with a bmw, but if you were to drive a GM or a Ford vehicle into thier shop with the same symptoms they will more than likely replace the valve body or the solenoids. Good ole' bmw tax. Here is a link to the little known solenoid issue:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...42#post7319342

davewoolley 01-22-2013 05:21 PM

I had the solenoids replaced and wow it shifts like a brand new car.

amennrahh 01-22-2013 05:28 PM

Congrats! :thumbup:

HerbP 01-22-2013 05:33 PM

I would check the fluid level before jumping to any conclusions. The cover that protects the tranny will need to be removed. Then look for a plug just above the tranny pan, to check the level, passenger side. You must remove the plug, then stick your finger in to check the level. If your car has more than 50k miles on it, I would suggest changing the filter & fluid, to see if that works. If the fluid is dark & burnt smelling, you might want to check a little further. Change the Mechatronics' seal while you have the fluid removed. It will cost around 275.00 for all parts & fluid. There should be a DIY in that section.

Good Luck!

amennrahh 01-22-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shamyl (Post 7314156)
Battery is absolutely fine - nothing wrong there.... I did take it into the garage, and they told me the sensor that sends the gear shift message to the transmission is faulty - hence needs to be changed. Has anyone had a similar problem like this with their car?

It sounds like a park lock control solenoid. This is located on the mechatronics valve body within the transmission. But you may want to take it to an authorized BMW dealer or Indy for confirmation. Hope this helps.