Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Entry level F30 320i heads to the US - Starting at $33,445 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669977)

tim330i 01-14-2013 07:34 AM

Entry level F30 320i heads to the US - Starting at $33,445
 
10 Attachment(s)
Entry level F30 320i

BMW opened the latest chapter in the 3 Series story as it announced the new 2013 BMW 320i Sedan for the US market. Constructed with the near-perfect 50:50 balance afforded by BMW rear-wheel drive and priced from $33,445 (including $895 Destination & Handling), the new BMW 320i packs a content-rich punch in the marketplace for premium compact sport sedans. Sporting a 180-horsepower TwinPower Turbo 4-cylinder engine, the new BMW 320i Sedan goes on sale in late-Spring 2013. Along with the new 320i Sedan, the BMW 320i xDrive Sedan featuring BMW's intelligent all-wheel drive system will also be available from $35,445 (including $895 Destination & Handling). The broad palette of standard equipment includes Bluetooth smartphone integration and BMW's Auto Start-Stop function.

2013 F30 320i US spec

Owners will appreciate the incredibly flexible 8-speed automatic transmission, while drivers seeking maximum involvement may opt for a traditional 6-speed manual on the non-xDrive 320i. 17-inch BMW light alloy wheels are standard on the 320i and 320i xDrive, with two different styles of 18-inch light alloy wheels available in combination with Sport Package.

The engine of the new BMW 320i Sedan is BMW's award-winning 2.0-liter TwinPower Turbo 4-cylinder engine, rated in the 320i at 180 horsepower at 5,000 rpm and 200 lb-ft of torque from 1,250 rpm - 4,500 rpm. 0-60 mph acceleration for the 320i Sedan is estimated to require only 7.1 seconds with either transmission choice. Top speed is an electronically-limited 130 mph. The class-leading fuel efficiency of the BMW 328i Sedan is expected to be sustained by the new 320i Sedan, meaning preliminary estimates for the 320i with 6-speed manual transmission are 22 City / 34 Highway, while 23 City / 33 Highway are estimated for the 320i equipped with 8-speed automatic. The 320i xDrive model is expected to achieve 22 City / 33 Highway (Note: all estimates are preliminary at publication).

Engine Comparison Details: 320i vs 328i

Most of BMW's leading ConnectedDrive elements and vehicle versatility options from the BMW 328i and 335i siblings will be available on the new 320i. These include the aforementioned 8-speed automatic transmission plus BMW Assist telematics services, BMW Apps, heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, rear-view camera, xenon adaptive headlights, moonroof, split-folding rear seat, and BMW's Navigation system.

BMW 320i 180 horsepower

Befitting The Ultimate Driving Machine, a Sport Package is available for both the 320i and 320i xDrive. For the 320i the package includes 18-inch light-alloy wheels with summer tires and increased top speed limiter, sport seats, M sport suspension, M steering wheel and anthracite headliner. All-season tires with 130 mph speed limiter may be specified in place of the performance tires. For the 320i xDrive the Sport Package includes 18-inch light-alloy wheels with all-season tires, sport seats, M steering wheel, and anthracite headliner. Summer tires with increased top speed limiter can be ordered in place of the all-season tires.

Several other equipment packages are also available for the 320i Sedan, including Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Driver Assistance Package, and Lighting Package. The full complement of exterior colors from the 328i Sedan is available, with exception of Estoril Blue Metallic which requires M Sport Line (unavailable on 320i). 320i buyers will also enjoy a choice of standard Leatherette or optional Dakota Leather upholstery, both in a choice of Venetian Beige or Black.

F20 320i sport package

BMW's innovative 8-speed automatic gearbox which was a first in the segment when introduced last year on the 328i and 335i Sedans opens up a whole new level of driving experience. Compact and exceptionally efficient, it allows the new BMW 320i to match or outperform models fitted with the standard six-speed manual gearbox in terms of fuel efficiency (actual results vary depending on drive cycle). The new 8-speed automatic brings together shift comfort, dynamic performance and efficiency of the highest order, making it the perfect partner for the new 320i sedan's dynamic potential.

As components of the BMW EfficientDynamics technology line-up, the Auto Start-Stop function, Brake Energy Regeneration, and need-based operation of ancillary components (including an on-demand air conditioning compressor) also play their part in reducing fuel consumption. Added to which, the Driving Dynamics Control switch, which allows the driver to choose between Comfort, Sport, and ECO PRO mode, gives both models the potential to further improve these figures. ECO PRO mode helps drivers maximize fuel economy through their driving style, thereby enabling them to increase the distance they can travel between visits to the pumps.

tim330i 01-14-2013 09:31 AM

Stay tuned for more pictures after the press conference!

beden1 01-14-2013 09:51 AM

Just what BMW needed was another model!

kobechrome 01-14-2013 10:01 AM

Wonder what the reason is for the 320 - the 328 and 335 serve the low and high end 3 series models.

JoeFromPA 01-14-2013 10:03 AM

Interesting that they are moving the U.S. F30 down market some more. I woulda thought the 4-door 1 series would accomplish that.

I don't really understand this - a de-tuned 2.0 liter that gets the same fuel economy? Really?

_Vida_ 01-14-2013 10:03 AM

Interesting. I wonder how big the market is for these

beden1 01-14-2013 10:06 AM

Where will the rumored 2 Series fit?

beden1 01-14-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Vida_ (Post 7312179)
Interesting. I wonder how big the market is for these

What's the base price for the "no line" 328i?

boltjaM3s 01-14-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kobechrome (Post 7312174)
Wonder what the reason is for the 320 - the 328 and 335 serve the low and high end 3 series models.

It's $4,000 cheaper.

That buys BMW many more customers who couldn't afford the base 328i and/or allows someone who really wanted a 328i with a lot of option packages to step down in engine class and accomplish that goal. Instead of taking a 328i and feeling forced to put no Line on the car or skip something like the technology package, now you can just cut the horsepower and keep all the goodies.

BJ

boltjaM3s 01-14-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Vida_ (Post 7312179)
Interesting. I wonder how big the market is for these

This will be BMW's best-selling 3 Series within two years.

Might also signal the end of the 335i completely. The 328i is only a hair less performance positive than the 335i right now is anyway. The 328i can become the top-of-the-line, the 320i the new bottom.

BJ

namelessman 01-14-2013 10:20 AM

For $3-4k less the 320i can grab lots of sales from competitors in the targeted range. I wonder if the 320i engine is a de-tuned N20/N26, if so, a chip can easily bump it up to 328i HP/torque.

jfox335i 01-14-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 7312203)
This will be BMW's best-selling 3 Series within two years.

Might also signal the end of the 335i completely. The 328i is only a hair less performance positive than the 335i right now is anyway. The 328i can become the top-of-the-line, the 320i the new bottom.

BJ

The 335 isn't going anywhere.

The 328 doesn't touch the 335 in regards to performance. I don't care about 60 times and the quarter, however in regards to driving feel, the 328 was laggy and weak, which was the primary reason I went with the 335 over the 328.

This model doesn't make much sense to me either, 4K drop for losing 60HP? I don't get it, but I understand BJs point. It allows those on the fence for a 328, an option to still get into a new BMW. I still say, if you can't afford the 3 series, drop to a 1, or find something else to drive.

chasfh 01-14-2013 10:22 AM

If it were a shorter car, like 175-179 in length, I would have strongly considered waiting to get this one. As it is, according to this, the length is still 4,636mm, or 182.5", so that wouldn't interest me as much.

krash 01-14-2013 10:26 AM

Yeah, they'll sell a lot of these. No doubt. No doubt at all.

Contrary to what a lot of people on the 'fest believe, a 328 is a real financial stretch for most people. This opens up an entirely new market segment for would be BMW buyers, a real huge market segment...

boltjaM3s 01-14-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfox335i (Post 7312231)
The 335 isn't going anywhere.

The 328 doesn't touch the 335 in regards to performance. I don't care about 60 times and the quarter, however in regards to driving feel, the 328 was laggy and weak, which was the primary reason I went with the 335 over the 328.

This model doesn't make much sense to me either, 4K drop for losing 60HP? I don't get it, but I understand BJs point. It allows those on the fence for a 328, an option to still get into a new BMW. I still say, if you can't afford the 3 series, drop to a 1, or find something else to drive.

Regarding the 335i, your guess is as good as mine. One way to look at this is that the 4 Series is a step up line as well. So perhaps the 335i will only be available in the 4 and not the 3. You never know.

$4,000 is a big deal as is $33,000 price point. Cadillac has its Buick. Acura has its Honda. Lexus has its Toyota. BMW has no step-down brand so it has to do the heavy lifting itself. What I thought might be the 2 Series sedan may never happen now. What would that cost, $25,000?

Very interesting indeed.

BJ

Alpine300ZHP 01-14-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 7312195)
It's $4,000 cheaper.

That buys BMW many more customers who couldn't afford the base 328i and/or allows someone who really wanted a 328i with a lot of option packages to step down in engine class and accomplish that goal. Instead of taking a 328i and feeling forced to put no Line on the car or skip something like the technology package, now you can just cut the horsepower and keep all the goodies.

BJ

THIS. I agree with BJ and I think BMW knows that it is leaving a major market open that is being stolen by MBZ with the C250. The 328 no line is about 3k more than the C250 sport. I see a lot of C250's on the road and the reason is the 399 lease payment with only a couple grand down. The 320i will be closer to the C250 in price and power and help BMW make a comparable low teaser lease payment to get people in the door. The 3 series has gone upmarket and I think has cut off some people from being able to afford a BMW. This is BMW's answer to that problem and makes me think the 1 series sedan is not coming to the U.S.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 7312203)
This will be BMW's best-selling 3 Series within two years.

Might also signal the end of the 335i completely. The 328i is only a hair less performance positive than the 335i right now is anyway. The 328i can become the top-of-the-line, the 320i the new bottom.

BJ

Agree with BJ again (can this be happening :rofl:). It is all about the lease payment for most people and this car will be BMW's new low downpayment or no downpayment 399 a month car, or maybe 299 a month if they residualize it right, designed to be sold on volume as a no line vehicle. I bet this one will only be available as a no line and sport line. To get modern, luxury or m sport you will probably have to bump up to the 328/335. Now we have an F30 for E46 325i money, larger body and same power plus better fuel economy. It will not be hard for BMW dealers to sell this thing to the average badge whore. If I had a friend debating a Honda or Toyota product I would tell them spend 5 grand more and get the BMW if only for the safety aspect of it. The 335i is not going away, but I predict it will be reborn as the 340i with a bump in power to around 330-350hp so there is a significant gap between the 328 and the 340.

krash 01-14-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasfh (Post 7312232)
If it were a shorter car, like 175-179 in length, I would have strongly considered waiting to get this one. As it is, according to this, the length is still 4,636mm, or 182.5", so that wouldn't interest me as much.

Well, if it were a shorter length, then it wouldn't be a 3.

They would have instead introduced a 1 series sedan, and by the way, I'm really surprised they didn't and really surprised they're putting out a 320i instead.

krash 01-14-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP (Post 7312260)
The 335i is not going away, but I predict it will be reborn as the 340i with a bump in power to around 330-350hp so there is a significant gap between the 328 and the 340.

A 340 is inevitable.

Alpine300ZHP 01-14-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krash (Post 7312266)
A 340 is inevitable.

True..we already have the 640 and 740. I suspect the 340 will debut with the new 4 series coupe and then transition to the 3 series and the other BMW models after that. The 35i motor will be gone in 2 years across the lineup. Also expect we will see an x1 and maybe x3 2.0 as well (if the 320 goes over well).

_Vida_ 01-14-2013 10:39 AM

So besides the C250, what would be competing with the 320i? Higher end Accords maybe?

krash 01-14-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP (Post 7312275)
True..we already have the 640 and 740. I suspect the 340 will debut with the new 4 series coupe and then transition to the 3 series and the other BMW models after that. The 35i motor will be gone in 2 years across the lineup. Also expect we will see an x1 and maybe x3 2.0 as well (if the 320 goes over well).

I predict there will be a 320, a 328 (or 330), and a 340. Also a 528 (or 530) and a 540.

Alpine300ZHP 01-14-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krash (Post 7312262)
Well, if it were a shorter length, then it wouldn't be a 3.

They would have instead introduced a 1 series sedan, and by the way, I'm really surprised they didn't and really surprised they're putting out a 320i instead.

Maybe they did not want to "cheapen" the brand by bringing over a 1 series sedan. To sell well a 120i would have to be in the low to mid 20's price wise. I think BMW does not want to dip into VW pricing category so low 30's may be as low as they want to go and a 1 series sedan would rot at 30-32k MSRP. The 3 series will be an instant hit in that price range and give people a very tempting alternative to a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry.

krash 01-14-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Vida_ (Post 7312281)
So besides the C250, what would be competing with the 320i? Higher end Accords maybe?

Acura TSX and TLX comes to mind.

Alpine300ZHP 01-14-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Vida_ (Post 7312281)
So besides the C250, what would be competing with the 320i? Higher end Accords maybe?

I think the 320i is a directly aimed at the C250. Those C250's sell REALLY well because they are very low lease payment cars. My local benz dealer GSM is a neighbor of mine and he told me that they fly off the lot at MSRP because he can do 399 a month at MSRP.

Alpine300ZHP 01-14-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krash (Post 7312282)
I predict there will be a 320, a 328 (or 330), and a 340. Also a 528 (or 530) and a 540.

Exactly. The need has now come for the 3 series to have 3 engine choices which the 5 has had since I can remember.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms