Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Has anyone updated Bluetooth software? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669997)

pdroth 01-14-2013 08:10 AM

Has anyone updated Bluetooth software?

Has anyone recently done this?...

I had my car at the dealer over the w/e for a routine oil change and inquired about it. They said the entire car would need to be reprogrammed (um ok) and that it would take a few hours. I'm 99% certain this can be done quickly by the owner with a USB drive.

Just want to know about how much time I should commit to this if I decide to try it myself.

Technic 01-14-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdroth (Post 7312056)

I had my car at the dealer over the w/e for a routine oil change and inquired about it. They said the entire car would need to be reprogrammed (um ok) and that it would take a few hours. I'm 99% certain this can be done quickly by the owner with a USB drive.

Just want to know about how much time I should commit to this if I decide to try it myself.

Between download from the BMW server to the time you complete the download in your car, I would say 10 minutes minimum.

Haitoman 01-14-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technic (Post 7312088)
Between download from the BMW server to the time you complete the download in your car, I would say 10 minutes minimum.

+1 Easy download and 10-20mins to complete

pdroth 01-15-2013 11:30 AM

Thank you both.

miamiboyca 01-15-2013 11:35 AM

Are you talking about upgrading the bluetooth version of software on your F10?

octopump 01-15-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdroth (Post 7312056)

You correct, download, load to a FAT32-formated (empty) thumb drive, plug into the USB port in the glove compartment and the car will update (less than 4-5 minutes).

Link to BMW's web site.

miamiboyca 01-16-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v12 (Post 7315886)
You correct, download, load to a FAT32-formated (empty) thumb drive, plug into the USB port in the glove compartment and the car will update (less than 4-5 minutes).

Link to BMW's web site.

Very Cool.

shawnsheridan 01-20-2013 02:55 PM

In some cases, if the ISTA/P on vehicle software is too old, it must first be updated before USB Update will work. This was the case with my 10/10 build 2011 F10 with the original software on the car.

pdroth 01-22-2013 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v12 (Post 7315886)

Link to BMW's web site.

Thanks everyone - this took about 5 mins total including loading software on the thumb drive. Also just want to add that I was able to upgrade using the port in the center compartment.

bradshawsa 04-15-2013 08:43 AM

I was at dealer last week for a speaker grille noise and was told a BMW Software update for the whole car was released. I had it done. Took 3+ hours to download and an hour for car to be "put in sleep mode" and then rebooted. I trust my service advisor for he doesn't want to get me pissed. $85K car gives me a little clout with the dealership.

miamiboyca 04-15-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshawsa (Post 7519561)
I was at dealer last week for a speaker grille noise and was told a BMW Software update for the whole car was released. I had it done. Took 3+ hours to download and an hour for car to be "put in sleep mode" and then rebooted. I trust my service advisor for he doesn't want to get me pissed. $85K car gives me a little clout with the dealership.

Questions -
What was it supposed to fix, and do you notice anything difference?

Your 535i was $86K? :confused:

bradshawsa 04-15-2013 09:13 AM

BMW software update

Han something to do with the front overhead switch panel.

Car is Individual order with lots of extra options/packages. If you have an Ipad, download the BMW Individual interactive app from BMW.

shawnsheridan 04-15-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshawsa (Post 7519561)

So the guy with the $40k car would not have received the same level of service you think?

bradshawsa 04-15-2013 10:53 AM

$85k vs $40k

Was just a reference value I stated. My point was that ALL BMW's are valued (cost) more because their "THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE" reputation is expected even at the service level. I previously owned a Chrysler Crossfire, and learned to watch my back with repair work quality with the interface of USA/Mercedes service knowledge. I would never buy a Mercedes now.