Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Need new Tires on 2004 325CI--New to the E46! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670013)

p88 01-14-2013 09:28 AM

Need new Tires on 2004 325CI--New to the E46!
 
I am new to the forum and also to the car. I just purchased a 2004 325CI! I am expecting delivery next week and it needs new tires. The car currently has RFTs but i am looking for something that lasts a bit longer. A quick research on tirerack and the threads on Bimmerfest and i came up with the following options:

Requirements: Low noise, Longer tread life, Decent ride quality (Stiff springs on the car. I could use a slightly smoother ride as this will be my daily commute car)

Front: 225/40/R18
Rear: 255/35/R18

All seasons:
(1) Michelin Pilot A/S PLUS
(2) Bridegstone RE760
(3) Yokohama ADVAN S.4

Questions:
1. Would appreciate some advice on these or any better/cheaper options?
2. I will soon be moving to Texas so is summer tires something to look in to for using year around?
3. Staggered Vs Non- staggered setup ( 225/40/R18 on all four)?

Thank you.
-p88
2004 325Ci

smolck 01-14-2013 09:55 AM

Had the Michelin A/S tires. They were a little noisy, but handled well. If you want long lasting tires, get a UHP tire with a 360AA treadwear or higher. Although you will sacrifice cornering for life span.

This is one a lot of guys swear by....http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=G-MAX+AS-03

But I can speak from experience on the Michelins and they handled well for a harder compound, longer life tire.

Fast Bob 01-14-2013 09:58 AM

Continental DWS is worth looking at also.

Washburn 01-14-2013 11:01 AM

^ +1 I have Conti DWS and like them a lot (same staggered config) - Very good middle of the road tire, I think.

p88 01-14-2013 11:09 AM

Thanks for the quick response guys.

It seems like Continental DWS is worth a look at.. It does have loads of positive reviews on tirerack. I won't be using it in snow so any experience with the ExtremeContact DW (summer tire) or is the DWS the better of the two?
Considering the price point, i think the Continentals do seem like a better choice over the Michelin A/s. (difference of $76).

I am still not sure whether to keep the staggered setup or go with 225/40/R18 on all four?
It might be cheaper by 140$ to do this but i don't want to kill the essence of the fun behind the wheel by doing so. Any suggestions on this front?

Washburn 01-14-2013 11:25 AM

Well if you have no use for the Snow (S) performance at all, I guess you can go with the DW summers - it will probably give you a bit better / sharper handling vs the DWS, which I assume has a softer side wall.
I didn't want to mess with 2 sets of tires and that's why i went with the DWS, in case i need to handle some light snow - whatever the diminished amount of handling with the DWS, I am sure I don't miss it, as I don't use my car for any extreme sort of driving - the DWS gives me enough handling for the occasional 'fun' drive around some curves when I meet them :)

(I am also planning on going square some day, but probably with 2 sets of style 264 REAR wheels so i can run 245 tires on all 4 corners....)

Fishful Thinking 01-14-2013 12:31 PM

Hmmmm, since you want a more compliant ride, might I suggest you sell those 18" wheels and put the stock 17" square set up wheels on? Finding stock wheels is fairly easy on Craigslist or this forum's classifieds. Get them, buy new tires, then sell the 18's and probably make a little money over your purchase price of the 17's. Tires will be cheaper, too. Good luck

p88 01-14-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishful Thinking (Post 7312741)
Hmmmm, since you want a more compliant ride, might I suggest you sell those 18" wheels and put the stock 17" square set up wheels on? Finding stock wheels is fairly easy on Craigslist or this forum's classifieds. Get them, buy new tires, then sell the 18's and probably make a little money over your purchase price of the 17's. Tires will be cheaper, too. Good luck

Well, i really like the look of the 18s so i guess i will keep them and go for something which has bit more of a sidewall..Thinking to opt for Conti DWS as opposed to DW since they have a higher tread life and hopefully are less noisy!

p88 01-14-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Washburn (Post 7312568)
Well if you have no use for the Snow (S) performance at all, I guess you can go with the DW summers - it will probably give you a bit better / sharper handling vs the DWS, which I assume has a softer side wall.
I didn't want to mess with 2 sets of tires and that's why i went with the DWS, in case i need to handle some light snow - whatever the diminished amount of handling with the DWS, I am sure I don't miss it, as I don't use my car for any extreme sort of driving - the DWS gives me enough handling for the occasional 'fun' drive around some curves when I meet them :)

(I am also planning on going square some day, but probably with 2 sets of style 264 REAR wheels so i can run 245 tires on all 4 corners....)

Sounds like my kind of driving since this will be my everyday commute car, i am only looking for occasional fun and a smooth ride most of the time!

skwidrific 01-14-2013 02:09 PM

If you're looking to save a little coin, you can go with the Goodyear Comp T/As. I did a little research, and wound up getting them again. They were the tires that were on my car when I bought it. They have a high wear rating, which was one of my priorities, and they happened to be on sale for about $90 per.

To what part of Texas are you moving? Depending on the region of Texas, you may have weather simliar to the DMV area...

JKRIT 01-14-2013 02:28 PM

Another data point for you: We run 17" Conti DW on our E46 wagon during non-snow seasons. Very quiet and excellent grip, but have an annoyingly sluggish turn-in, and wear much faster than expected.

bmw330ci04 01-14-2013 04:06 PM

i dont really know much about all seasons but we use Michelin PS2's in the summer 225/45 in the front, 245/40 in the rear, and they are great, and in the winter we switch to Blizzaks, same 225 all around. the extra performance of the summer tires in my opinion is worth the cost, and the time to change them

p88 01-14-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skwidrific (Post 7313000)
If you're looking to save a little coin, you can go with the Goodyear Comp T/As. I did a little research, and wound up getting them again. They were the tires that were on my car when I bought it. They have a high wear rating, which was one of my priorities, and they happened to be on sale for about $90 per.

To what part of Texas are you moving? Depending on the region of Texas, you may have weather simliar to the DMV area...

I will be in the Houston area so i am guessing no snow!

p88 01-14-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKRIT (Post 7313034)
Another data point for you: We run 17" Conti DW on our E46 wagon during non-snow seasons. Very quiet and excellent grip, but have an annoyingly sluggish turn-in, and wear much faster than expected.

Yeah! I was looking at the wear rate (UTQG) and DWS are the superior ones of the two in that department.

p88 01-16-2013 07:55 AM

So.. just made the purchase on Conti DWS. Decided to stick with the staggered setup.. The tires should be on the car by next week, so i will post about the initial feel...One quick question..Do i need to purchase TPMS going from RFT to non RFT? Actaully, does the 2004 325CI have an ABS based system? not sure about this...

p88 01-16-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Washburn (Post 7312494)
^ +1 I have Conti DWS and like them a lot (same staggered config) - Very good middle of the road tire, I think.

What inflation pressures are you running?:confused:

skwidrific 01-16-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p88 (Post 7313521)
I will be in the Houston area so i am guessing no snow!

heh... yea, I'd say "no snow" would be a safe bet for the Houston area... :thumbup:

good deal, I just wanted to throw in some food for thought

Fast Bob 01-16-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p88 (Post 7317410)
So.. just made the purchase on Conti DWS. Decided to stick with the staggered setup.. The tires should be on the car by next week, so i will post about the initial feel...One quick question..Do i need to purchase TPMS going from RFT to non RFT? Actaully, does the 2004 325CI have an ABS based system? not sure about this...

No TPMS on E46s, nor do you need one.... just get a decent pressure gauge (if you don`t already have one). 36 front, 38 rear is a good starting point for a staggered setup.

TannerT 01-16-2013 01:01 PM

Conti DWS or nexen N3000 are both great imo

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App

smolck 01-16-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TannerT (Post 7318273)
Conti DWS or nexen N3000 are both great imo

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App

I found the Nexen N3000 to be about worthless in the rain. Very slippy and poorly constructed IMO. Chinese crap. Conti's are good.

p88 01-21-2013 09:11 AM

So..i just put the tires on.. The ride is so much smoother and quieter than the really worn out RFTs that were on it.. Will post an update after i put some miles on the DWS.

Fast Bob 01-21-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p88 (Post 7327390)
So..i just put the tires on.. The ride is so much smoother and quieter than the really worn out RFTs that were on it.. Will post an update after i put some miles on the DWS.

*All* new tires are gonna feel a sh!tload better than whatever they replaced....the first 50% of a tire`s life is usually good, the second half of it`s lifespan is what separates the *really good* tires from the mediocre ones....

Dave 330i 01-21-2013 11:24 AM

I've been in the Houston area for a few years now. I'm happy with Kuhos Ecsta 4X from Discount Tires. I'm not looking for super performance tires on my 144K miles '01 330i with sports package. Discount Tires is very good at doing the little things, like free rotation, balance, air pressure, at least from the Friendswood store. I caught their $100 off Labor Day special a day late, but they gave it to me anyway without having to send in a form for reimbursement. Four tires, balanced, new stems, installation was $495 out the door. 225/45R17XL 94W and 245/40R17 91W.

You can say I am a happy camper with them. :thumbup:

BTW, I asked them to inflate to 37 front 44 rear in my 997 Turbo, and my OBC displays those pressures dead on, so I assume their inflation is accurate.

vandyboy 01-22-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast Bob (Post 7327471)
*All* new tires are gonna feel a sh!tload better than whatever they replaced....the first 50% of a tire`s life is usually good, the second half of it`s lifespan is what separates the *really good* tires from the mediocre ones....

No truer words have ever been written about performance tires.

I will need new tires by the end of the summer. Previous owner stuck a cheap a$$ set of Barums - a Conti owned brand from the Czech Republic - from Discount Tire at $79,00 per. Thanks for nothing! They are sort of quiet, dry brake well, handle decently but are water skis in the rain.

Car has the standard 16" wheel set up - 205/55/16. I want good handling, as quiet as possible and good wet traction/hydroplaning prevention. I could get by with Summer Perfornace tires being in TN (plus I have a LR for bad weather) but there are days here that start out at 60 degrees and four hours later we have ice and snow and 28 degress. From past experience, I like the Michelin Pilot Exalto and Bridgestone Pole Position 960s. Should I seriously consider the Continental (which one), another Michelin or Bridgestone? Any Goodyears worth considering? BTW - not a fan of Generals (despite good reviews) or the Firestone Firehawk. I look at Tire Rack and find myself liking everything I see.

smolck 01-22-2013 06:35 AM

I just had a set of new rear tires put on my car yesterday. And yes, believe it or not I bought NEW tires (rare for me). Just got tired of dealing with used stuff. I bought the Sumitomo HTZ P01 which is very different from what I usually buy in that it is a UHP "all season" tire (I usually buy summer only tires). I was worried but the price was too good to pass on (I am poor after all) at $316 out the door for 245/40/18's.

Tirerack has a good youtube video test of the tire and they get great reviews from consumer reports (not that I listen to them, again, this was more a price based purchase. I HAD to buy new tires and didn't have a choice). I haven't broken them in yet, but my 40 mile drive home proved a few things. 1. They are quiet and comfy on the road. 2. They seem responsive enough. 3. Very predictable.

I am going to buy a pair of fronts next week and then stiffen my suspension and give em a real test. But I'd say they are a great A/S option.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms