Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Brand New 328i Conv, Transmission Malfunction (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670032)

imlab10 01-14-2013 10:39 AM

Brand New 328i Conv, Transmission Malfunction

Just bought a brand new 328i Conv, right after I drove home. Before I could drive out yesterday, Transmission Malfunction light on. restarted several times, still got same warning message. Call BMW road assistance, they asked me tow it to dealer to check it out. Towed it to dealer this morning.
Anybody saw this problem before?

lqaddict 01-14-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imlab10 (Post 7312430)
Just bought a brand new 328i Conv, right after I drove home. Before I could drive out yesterday, Transmission Malfunction light on. restarted several times, still got same warning message. Call BMW road assistance, they asked me tow it to dealer to check it out. Towed it to dealer this morning.

My co-worker had this on his CPO 2009 E92, shortly after the transmission failed at less than 33K.
Have the dealer diagnose it and replace it if needed - I hope they will give you a loaner for the time being.
Good luck.

Zooks527 01-14-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imlab10 (Post 7312430)

So, if I'm reading this correctly, did this happen to a one-day-old no-real-miles nothing-but-the-drive-home car? Not used, but brand spanking new?

If the answer is "yes", I'd be talking to the dealer about doing a "let's send this one back and you give me that one over there instead" type replacement.

tturedraider 01-14-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zooks527 (Post 7312475)
So, if I'm reading this correctly, did this happen to a one-day-old no-real-miles nothing-but-the-drive-home car? Not used, but brand spanking new?

If the answer is "yes", I'd be talking to the dealer about doing a "let's send this one back and you give me that one over there instead" type replacement.

+1, unless it's an easy electronic sensor gremlin type of fix.

CALWATERBOY 01-14-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

I had this experience once....didn't get better....lemon law invoked. Word to the wise.

OP, did I read you right.....they asked YOU to tow it to a BMW dealer?

imlab10 01-14-2013 01:40 PM

Yes, it was just shipped from Germany to here Sat, and it is one-day old, with less than 20 miles on it. Yea, they told me to tow it to dealer.

cwinter 01-14-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

That might work with an inventory vehicle but one just ordered for customer delivery, I'm not so sure. I figure they'd have to go through the process for lemon laws in the state. I don't think they treat transmission issues any different than, say a faulty brake light. Of course, to the customer, transmission issues at day 1 are bit concerning. :(

We have our family truckster at the GM dealer right now with transmission woes...2 weeks before power train warranty went out though. (Whew!)

OP, best of luck and let us know what they find. Hopefully just something small that'll have you back on the road in no time.

MP3_E46 01-14-2013 02:12 PM

Hope it's the first and last issue you have. Unlikely but swapping to another car won't make any difference as virtually BMWs have unique quirks; give them a chance to remedy this one first. I bought my 328 convertible used with a smidge over 10K miles; it had a ton of issues but with the help of this and other forums it's virtually trouble free now.

Zooks527 01-14-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwinter (Post 7312963)
Of course, to the customer, transmission issues at day 1 are bit concerning. :(

Front runner, 2013 Understatement Of The Year Award. ;)

lqaddict 01-14-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imlab10 (Post 7312931)
Yes, it was just shipped from Germany to here Sat, and it is one-day old, with less than 20 miles on it. Yea, they told me to tow it to dealer.

Seems like a QC issue at the plant.
I hope it's just a minor issue with the sensor rather than the whole doa transmission case.

MP3_E46 01-14-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zooks527 (Post 7313022)

Could be worse, I am sure my convertible was. Dread to think what the original owner got for the [ex-]lemon but they did under 10.2K miles and I paid 57% of original MSRP from a dealer so presumably the original owner got less than half what they paid for it ~10K miles ago :jawdrop:

By 10K miles it had two cracked wheels, stuck roof mechanism, water leaking into the cabin, rough running on start-up, faulty rear brakes, broken mirror motor, squeaks and creaks + a bunch of other minor stuff.

cwinter 01-14-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lqaddict (Post 7313040)
Seems like a QC issue at the plant.
I hope it's just a minor issue with the sensor rather than the whole doa transmission case.

That is a good point, since during delivery the vehicle is driven (on the boat, off the boat, on the transporter, around at the dealer while being prepped). If something was fatally wrong with the transmission, you figure it would be caught. Perhaps really just an electronic gremlin, since OP didn't seem to indicate any perceptible mechanical issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zooks527 (Post 7313022)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...exWOWqLv8tHFRA

Transmissions...who needs'em! ;)

Thunder Dump 01-14-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Your car was built on Friday, December 24th, at 4:50pm.

hondo402000 01-14-2013 05:48 PM

hopefully the light was not on and the dealer noticed it and cleared the code and then turned it over to you, They wouldnt do that would they?

tturedraider 01-14-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7312884)
I had this experience once....didn't get better....lemon law invoked. Word to the wise.

OP, did I read you right.....they asked YOU to tow it to a BMW dealer?

Quote:

Who is "they"? Did you call BMW roadside assistance?

PartyBoyWA 01-14-2013 08:59 PM

Is this thing a slush box or MT? I have my suspicions and it's kinda germane to the subject here.

Oh yeah ...bummer. Hope it all works out for you as a simple fix.

1zamboni 01-14-2013 10:51 PM

That is horrible for a brand new car hope just a warning light nothing too serious. Keep us posted.

imlab10 01-15-2013 09:46 AM

I was told today that the computer inside transmission is broken, instead of replacing the computer, they will replace the whole transmission.

Greatdane84 01-15-2013 10:02 AM

Ha,

No offense, but I'd tell them to fix it and put it back on their lot, cause you want a new one. No way I'd take a car just shipped manufactured in Germany and then have it pieced back together new...

1zamboni 01-15-2013 11:40 PM

Wow that is serious repair.

mclaren 01-16-2013 05:13 PM

BMW roadside assistance would never ask a customer to tow the car to the dealer. Everyone knows that. So that calls into question the whole thread doesn't it ?

Joe in Dublin 01-16-2013 08:48 PM

RR and tranny, no biggie. better than tearing it apart to fix.

imlab10 01-17-2013 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclaren (Post 7318777)
BMW roadside assistance would never ask a customer to tow the car to the dealer. Everyone knows that. So that calls into question the whole thread doesn't it ?

I didn't explain well, or you misunderstood. They hired a local towing company to tow the car to dealer. What I meant in the original post was they told me the car was not drive-able and but had to be towed, so I could not drive it to dealer to check out.

1zamboni 01-17-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imlab10 (Post 7319736)
I didn't explain well, or you misunderstood. They hired a local towing company to tow the car to dealer. What I meant in the original post was they told me the car was not drive-able and but had to be towed, so I could not drive it to dealer to check out.

Did they provide an estimate how long the repair is going to be?