Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   E90 '09 328i added water to coolant (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670063)

328inewbie 01-14-2013 12:45 PM

E90 '09 328i added water to coolant
 
I have a '09 328i lci
I started getting the low coolant message last week. This morning before I went to work I got it again, so I grabbed the manual and browsed through it and briefly read "combination of water and coolant"...so went inside my house filled a cup with water and pour it in the coolant reservoir and topped it up. turned the car on and the message was gone and went to work. I added about 300ml.
After work, after 2 miles driving at a red light when I started accelerating the car started acting up...I can only describe the acting up as if some of the fuel injectors were dirty...but it was sporadically... at least when I accelerated. so I continued for another mile and it was more frequent so the check engine light came on. It felt as if the car did not have its usual power as I accelerated and was decreasing. I stopped on the side of the road, turned it off and waited for about 5 minutes. Then, turned it on, the check engine was off and it still felt the acting up. Got on the highway and turned on cruise control and it felt fine. Drove about 20 miles, then at the next traffic light, when I started accelerating same thing happened and check engine light came on so I drove it about another 3-4 miles and got home.
did I screw up my car by adding regular water? Do you think that a coolant flush would help or fix it?

hondo402000 01-14-2013 12:58 PM

No, just a coincidence
Hondo

spicytofu 01-15-2013 07:08 AM

it sounds to me you get hesitation when you accelerate but it is running fine when there is very little load on the engine. Pull your plugs and see if they are wet. could be coolant. You have a leak somewhere...You should get the CEL codes if you can. Probably misfire.

328inewbie 01-16-2013 05:33 PM

Hondo/Spicytofu,
both right...it was just a coincidence and there is a misfire.
I took it to auto zone, they ran diagnostics and they give code P0304 - Cylinder 4 misfire condition. Explanation is ignition system fault; probable cause is plugged or faulty fuel injector, vacuum leak, engine mechanical condition.
now what?
I was reading some other post and they suggest ignition coil replacement...I guess this would be the cheapest first try to resolve this issue.
any suggestions?

CarlsonTheFlyer 01-16-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 328inewbie (Post 7318828)
Hondo/Spicytofu,
both right...it was just a coincidence and there is a misfire.
I took it to auto zone, they ran diagnostics and they give code P0304 - Cylinder 4 misfire condition. Explanation is ignition system fault; probable cause is plugged or faulty fuel injector, vacuum leak, engine mechanical condition.
now what?
I was reading some other post and they suggest ignition coil replacement...I guess this would be the cheapest first try to resolve this issue.
any suggestions?

My money is on a faulty ignition coil. How many miles (or kilometers) are on the odometer?

MMME30W 01-16-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlsonTheFlyer (Post 7318845)
My money is on a faulty ignition coil. How many miles (or kilometers) are on the odometer?

Either that or some water in the fuel? Maybe a bottle of techroline, tank of Shell V93 and a few trips to redline...:bigpimp:

328inewbie 01-16-2013 06:45 PM

Carlson,
it has 76120 miles. I bought with about 50000...only maintenance I've done is oil changes and air filter.
do you guys know about website where I can find BMW parts at a reasonable price?

CarlsonTheFlyer 01-17-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 328inewbie (Post 7318987)
Carlson,
it has 76120 miles. I bought with about 50000...only maintenance I've done is oil changes and air filter.
do you guys know about website where I can find BMW parts at a reasonable price?

76k miles is a little early for coils to go bad, but it's not unheard of. As far as BMW parts, take a look at the site sponsors section. You can find anything you need there. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87

CarlsonTheFlyer 01-17-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMME30W (Post 7318947)
Either that or some water in the fuel? Maybe a bottle of techroline, tank of Shell V93 and a few trips to redline...:bigpimp:

It's possible. Maybe the OP mistook the fuel tank for the coolant expansion tank? :yikes: (Just kidding!)

ctuna 01-17-2013 03:15 PM

Swap coils to isolate problem
 
Swap coils to isolate problem
You should probably start thinking about changing plugs to.

hondo402000 01-17-2013 03:17 PM

or you can switch the coil pack from one cylinder to another and see if the fault code moves to that cylinder, Saw that on youtube! but if I was going to go to that trouble to get to the coil packs and the spark plugs, and provided you can do the work your self, I would just replace the coil pack and all the spark plugs, cause if you can do the work yourself, you saved enough labor money from the BMW palace that the parts would be free. thats what I would do your situation may dictate other wise, but I have no kids, no wife and at the present no girlfriend, So I have a lot of free money

Hondo

mgarciah 01-17-2013 10:53 PM

The coil/plug nearest to the passenger compartment is under higher temperature, is closer to the firewall and there is no good ventilation that deep, so it is normal that fail prematurely, if the engine has a misfire error, unstable idling, buy one coil/plug and swap it starting from the one that is closest to the passenger compartment, this is a plug and play operation. Dealer will recomend to change all of them but you can save a lot of money DIY.

x986 01-18-2013 02:18 PM

You guys forget; he already knows which cylinder is bad. I agree that swapping coils is the way to go, but I'd also take a look at that plug to see if there might be a sign of head gasket failure.

328inewbie 01-18-2013 05:41 PM

I appreciate all of you inputs. I've been looking around for coils and plugs. I am going to change them hoping that will fix the problem and it is not a head gasket or something like that.
these are the cheapest I've found: Bosch 12137594937 for $227.40 all 6
Also I found these used ones, it's a lot cheaper, but what do you think?
here are the NGK plugs

mgarciah 01-18-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 328inewbie (Post 7323194)
I appreciate all of you inputs. I've been looking around for coils and plugs. I am going to change them hoping that will fix the problem and it is not a head gasket or something like that.
these are the cheapest I've found: Bosch 12137594937 for $227.40 all 6
Also I found these used ones, it's a lot cheaper, but what do you think?
here are the NGK plugs

My opinion... I dont see the point to buy all 6, maybe the issue is not even the coil/plugs, I would buy one and test it.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms