Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   The 4 Series...new math??? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670191)

Leslierc 01-15-2013 05:38 AM

The 4 Series...new math???
 
Is it really all about the money?

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013...han-three/?hpw

Gorgeous car though!

samualcc 01-15-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslierc (Post 7314370)
Is it really all about the money?

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013...han-three/?hpw

Gorgeous car though!

This is nothing new... A5 more money that A4. Coupe has always been more (at least through the E90 generation). It is a low volume car by comparison, and is attracting a different kind of buyer.

Leslierc 01-15-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samualcc (Post 7314558)
This is nothing new... A5 more money that A4. Coupe has always been more (at least through the E90 generation). It is a low volume car by comparison, and is attracting a different kind of buyer.

I appreciate your point...a good one...except that the A4 was always and only a sedan, whereas the 3 Series came in both sedan and coupe versions. There's nothing wrong with BMW wanting to capitalize on panache, I just hope that the 4 Series results in more than a re-badged 3 Series coupe.

samualcc 01-15-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslierc (Post 7314661)
I appreciate your point...a good one...except that the A4 was always and only a sedan, whereas the 3 Series came in both sedan and coupe versions. There's nothing wrong with BMW wanting to capitalize on panache, I just hope that the 4 Series results in more than a re-badged 3 Series coupe.

But why? The E90 coupe was just a rebadged sedan. The body was different, but it was the same platform minus the doors for the most part.

Most every manufacturer in the luxury range charges more for coupes. They are considered sports cars (even if they aren't) and command a higher price tag. Even some of the Japanese automakers do it with their coupes.

So yes if by rebadged 3 series you mean the same platform and engines, then yes, that is what you get. Same interior as well.

Technic 01-15-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslierc (Post 7314370)
Is it really all about the money?
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013...han-three/?hpw

Gorgeous car though!

It has been always about the money.

This 4-Series could be the new Z4 in sales if BMW gets stupid with its price.

Alpine300ZHP 01-15-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technic (Post 7314714)
It has been always about the money.

This 4-Series could be the new Z4 in sales if BMW gets stupid with its price.

THIS. If they go nuts and make the 4 series (435/440) cost in the mid 60's as some predict then you will see people who can afford anything they want bump up to the 640i for 75-80k and get a much nicer car. We shall see if BMW screws this one up or not.

samualcc 01-15-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP (Post 7314877)
THIS. If they go nuts and make the 4 series (435/440) cost in the mid 60's as some predict then you will see people who can afford anything they want bump up to the 640i for 75-80k and get a much nicer car. We shall see if BMW screws this one up or not.

I don't know where you guys get this. Expect two coupe models, with probably a 5% to 8% premium starting price over their sedan cousins.

lqaddict 01-15-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslierc (Post 7314661)
I appreciate your point...a good one...except that the A4 was always and only a sedan, whereas the 3 Series came in both sedan and coupe versions. There's nothing wrong with BMW wanting to capitalize on panache, I just hope that the 4 Series results in more than a re-badged 3 Series coupe.

Just one correction
A4 came in as a 2-door cabriolet and a 5-door Avant in addition to a regular 4-door sedan :)

Vector Pilot 01-15-2013 11:34 AM

Sources are saying expect a $2500.00 price hike for the F32, if correct, that sounds reasonable, because historically the coupe offered standard features offered as options on the F30.

tdd 01-15-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vector Pilot (Post 7315236)
Sources are saying expect a $2500.00 price hike for the F32, if correct, that sounds reasonable, because historically the coupe offered standard features that came are options on the F30.

And it will be considerably more for the 'vert as has historically been the case. The 4-series 'vert and the C7 Vette 'vert will probably be around the same price.

Alpine300ZHP 01-15-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vector Pilot (Post 7315236)
Sources are saying expect a $2500.00 price hike for the F32, if correct, that sounds reasonable, because historically the coupe offered standard features that came are options on the F30.

If this is the case the coupe will sell very well. I read posts by people who opined that pricing would be much higher for coupes. My impression was that these opinions were mere guesses and not based on fact.

Technic 01-15-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vector Pilot (Post 7315236)
Sources are saying expect a $2500.00 price hike for the F32, if correct, that sounds reasonable, because historically the coupe offered standard features offered as options on the F30.

The difference between an E92 and an E90 was about... $3000.

Hopefully BMW will not pull a 5-Series/6-Series price split in here. But then, the whole 4-Series creation would be un-BMW of lately. :confused:

tturedraider 01-15-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samualcc (Post 7314969)
I don't know where you guys get this. Expect two coupe models, with probably a 5% to 8% premium starting price over their sedan cousins.

There has been a lot of speculation that BMW has plans to move the new 4 Series significantly up market, and, in fact, create a 5 Series/6 Series split with the 3er and 4er.

tturedraider 01-15-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslierc (Post 7314370)
Is it really all about the money?

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013...han-three/?hpw

Gorgeous car though!

Nothing of any value in this article. Purely a puff piece to keep someone employed.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms