Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   OBD Insurance Module (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670218)

GTBecker 01-15-2013 09:20 AM

OBD Insurance Module

Has anyone used a reporting module like Allstate's DriveWise or Progressive's SnapShot? These things are OBD monitors that report the vehicle's dynamics daily to, presumably, provide a discount to safer drivers.

I've joined Allstate's program and just plugged the thing in - and haven't gone anywhere yet so there's nothing to see - but one can apparently look at the collected data online anytime and, of course, so can they, that's the point. Just joining yielded a 10% discount and, based on one's driving, they provide up to 30% discounts on the insurance premium. It'll be interesting to see what data is reported and to what detail.

Meanwhile, the thing is precariously plugged into the ODB port near the left leg - just waiting to get side-kicked, I think - and the color is horrendous against my black interior. I doubt that I'll want it there for long.

Anyone have experience with it?

car-fan 01-15-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTBecker (Post 7314878)
Has anyone used a reporting module like Allstate's DriveWise or Progressive's SnapShot? These things are OBD monitors that report the vehicle's dynamics daily to, presumably, provide a discount to safer drivers.

I've joined Allstate's program and just plugged the thing in - and haven't gone anywhere yet so there's nothing to see - but one can apparently look at the collected data online anytime and, of course, so can they, that's the point. Just joining yielded a 10% discount and, based on one's driving, they provide up to 30% discounts on the insurance premium. It'll be interesting to see what data is reported and to what detail.

Meanwhile, the thing is precariously plugged into the ODB port near the left leg - just waiting to get side-kicked, I think - and the color is horrendous against my black interior. I doubt that I'll want it there for long.

Talk about an invasion of privacy all for the sake of a slight discount:rolleyes: I would never even remotely contemplate such a device:tsk:

noka 01-15-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTBecker (Post 7314878)

Paint it black :) I'm taking a wait and see approach how the data is used and by whom. If you drive over speed limits (or exceed whatever else it monitors) do you then pay a surcharge ;) Although, not sure that my insurance company even offers anything like this.

GTBecker 01-15-2013 12:28 PM

FYI, if you care to read, here is some of what Allstate says about the DriveWise service, the data it collects and how it is, and can be, used:
Quote:

... Allstate Drive Wise® is a program that allows safer drivers (and low mileage drivers) to demonstrate their lower-risk driving on a daily basis, and earn significant savings by doing so. ...

... your discount (if any) will be calculated on a rolling basis based on how your vehicle is driven – using 12 months (6 months when you begin) of driving data. This discount is known as your Performance Rating. Note that your Performance Rating cannot increase your premium...

... The Performance Rating looks at risk factors from your actual driving and combines them into an overall profile that is used to calculate your potential savings. The factors measured include:

Mileage
Driving Time of Day
Hard and Extreme Braking
Speeds over 80 mph

These factors all combine to help define your overall risk profile. You should know that individual events are unlikely to have a dramatic effect on your score. We recognize that braking (for example) may be necessary to avoid an accident caused by another driver, an animal, or a pedestrian or cyclist. However, an overall pattern of frequent hard braking is indicative of less-attentive driving.

This same rule applies across all these factors – our rating system works over time and looks for broader patterns of behavior.
Also, the installation sheet says this:
Quote:

Data Information

Data is uploaded daily based on trip information. ... Data captured includes daily driving data (speed, miles, time of day), VIN (vehicle identification number), driving events (hard braking, hard cornering, hard acceleration) and Device connect/disconnect.

Use of Information

... Data from the Device may be deemed discoverable by third parties and used in an accident investigation and/or litigation.
Notably absent in the data list is position, but it's probably wise to assume that GPS data is logged, too, even if it isn't used for rate determination. Still, that's not new; if you have an accident the vehicle already has logged the recent data leading up to it, including position, I believe you'll find.

My days of really hard driving are behind me so the behavior data collection doesn't threaten me and, as long as I don't receive a letter like "Dear Sir: we see that you regularly drive to the gun range...", I have no difficulty with the company learning more about the low risk they assume in insuring me. Risk analysis and the rate they assign from it is simply an expected part of their business. Within reason, if I can help them save me money while satisfying my need for insurance, I'll do it.

Still, it is ugly and might be in my foot's way when entering or leaving the vehicle. We'll see how long I tolerate it, but it is unlikely to be perpetual.

colson79 01-15-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by car-fan (Post 7315113)
Talk about an invasion of privacy all for the sake of a slight discount:rolleyes: I would never even remotely contemplate such a device:tsk:

Agreed, there is no way I'm willing to plug one of these into my vehicle and I wish others would refuse as well. If a lot of drivers start agreeing to these devices it won't be long before insurance companies really start pushing them on us.

:thumbdwn: