Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive Forum (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Does Corvette's dash display better than BMW's? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670370)

CALWATERBOY 01-15-2013 08:39 PM

Does Corvette's dash display better than BMW's?
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEHLUyVKMzo

DO YA THINK?

Does it ride comfortably yet handle? Remains to be seen. Ditto BMW's survivability.....egad!

boltjaM3s 01-15-2013 08:46 PM

Corvette?

They still make that thing? I thought all its customers were dead.

BJ

408Racer 01-15-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7316648)
.
DO YA THINK?

Does it ride comfortably yet handle? Remains to be seen. Ditto BMW's survivability.....egad!

Video games for the gold chains and white belt crowd as they cruise at 45mph wishing they were as handsome as those "soft" men in their "wimpy" four-banger Hitler-mobiles.

beden1 01-15-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7316648)
.
DO YA THINK?

Does it ride comfortably yet handle? Remains to be seen. Ditto BMW's survivability.....egad!

Magnetic suspension can be adjusted to be comfy if you wish. The tires on the C7 will be narrower than the C6 which should also help soften the ride.

That dash is super. The cars are so fast when you get on them, you don't want to be having to search for the tack and speed. Now it's right in your face. Plus, the Vette has had the heads up display since the 1980's.

The Vette is not for someone who runs errands to the supermarket and spends the rest of their time taking kids to school and to sports team practices in their 4 banger. It's for those who enjoy the freedom of the open road.

I think this Vette will be a winner and may just attract a new generation of buyers. I am very happy to now be a Porsche owner, but if not, I would be all over this car.

captainaudio 01-15-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beden1 (Post 7316713)
Magnetic suspension can be adjusted to be comfy if you wish. The tires on the C7 will be narrower than the C6 which should also help soften the ride.

That dash is super. The cars are so fast when you get on them, you don't want to be having to search for the tack and speed. Now it's right in your face. Plus, the Vette has had the heads up display since the 1980's.

The Vette is not for someone who runs errands to the supermarket and spends the rest of their time taking kids to school and to sports team practices in their 4 banger. It's for those who enjoy the freedom of the open road.

I think this Vette will be a winner and may just attract a new generation of buyers. I am very happy to now be a Porsche owner, but if not, I would be all over this car.

The Manhattan debut of the C7 Corvette is tomorrow at 6:30. Ms. Audio and I have invitations, we intend to be there and I will post pictures. This is almost 60 years to the day from the debut of the original Corvette at GM Motorama at the Waldorf Astoria. I was told they will have the original Corvette from that show and at least one of each other series on display.

CA

SergioK 01-16-2013 01:52 AM

Sweet!.:thumbup:

pony_trekker 01-16-2013 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 7316668)
Corvette?

They still make that thing? I thought all its customers were dead.

BJ

No. Just hair is glued on. Head. Not chest.

JoeFromPA 01-16-2013 02:38 AM

GM, dominantly through the corvette outlet, has my enormous respect for continuing the development of their LS/LT pushrod v8. Today it's simpler, more reliable, and more economical (both to own and fuel wise) than almost all similar production engines. It's gotten lighter and more compact along the way too, and it's well known to be able to push huge power levels (N/A or FI) easily and reliably.

I found the last generation to finally have a body style I could admire. The interior wasn't there for me.

Now this new one....well, we'll see what happens with the rear end of it.

krash 01-16-2013 04:27 AM

I'd like to have a new 'vette to go along with my new 335.

CALWATERBOY 01-16-2013 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pony_trekker (Post 7317005)
No. Just hair is glued on. Head. Not chest.


Ha! That's a thing only a Prius owner would do. Or maybe the spray can, from UHF of yesteryear.

Plugs....sophisticates do plugs....

The X Men 01-16-2013 06:31 AM

I think this gen of Corvette is a winner, there hasnt been this much excitment about the Corvette in a while. The new design is spot one, the interior is still typical Corvette. The gauge is a bit too X-Box for me, I like traditional gauges with high quality material.

dtc100 01-16-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainaudio (Post 7316857)
Ms. Audio and I have invitations, we intend to be there and I will post pictures.
CA

Please do, a lot of them, both in and out, thanks!

Either a Porsche or a Vette is on my bucket list:) Although I don't see myself getting one of them yet, it's nice to see where they are heading.

Lately I do see more and more strikingly good looking young professional women stepping out of a vette.

vern 01-16-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krash (Post 7317067)
I'd like to have a new 'vette to go along with my new 335.

+1 Good luck:thumbup:
cheers
vern

jfox335i 01-16-2013 08:12 AM

Interesting. Better then BMW, no, but that's just personal preference. I loved Vette's as a kid, I'm sort of indifferent to them now. Don't get me wrong, I would take one in a heartbeat if it were given, but if had 100k to blow, a vette wouldn't be in the top 5 of choices.

beden1 01-16-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainaudio (Post 7316857)
The Manhattan debut of the C7 Corvette is tomorrow at 6:30. Ms. Audio and I have invitations, we intend to be there and I will post pictures. This is almost 60 years to the day from the debut of the original Corvette at GM Motorama at the Waldorf Astoria. I was told they will have the original Corvette from that show and at least one of each other series on display.

CA

That sounds like a fun event. :thumbup:

boltjaM3s 01-16-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainaudio (Post 7316857)
The Manhattan debut of the C7 Corvette is tomorrow at 6:30. Ms. Audio and I have invitations, we intend to be there and I will post pictures. This is almost 60 years to the day from the debut of the original Corvette at GM Motorama at the Waldorf Astoria. I was told they will have the original Corvette from that show and at least one of each other series on display.

CA

Please don't take pictures of the new car.

Instead, please take pictures of prospective buyers looking at the new car. Interested to see how many walkers and Hurry-Cane's are being used and where they intend to store them.

BJ

MonkeyCMonkeyDo 01-16-2013 09:20 AM

I find it odd that everyone freaked out about the little side vent on the 4 series coupe but nobody has said anything about the million black plastic vents and covers all over this car. The hood, the fender, the top of the back fenders. It is everywhere. I would have to get a black one to hide them. I understand function, but they look like PepBoys glued on "style" accessories.

I do love the direction car makers are going with the fully digital configurable dash displays. Ford Escape has a pretty cool one as well.

This is the first Corvette since the 70s that has a back end that actually looks designed. I used to always joke that the corvette had a great design until you looked at it from behind. It always looked like the block of clay they started with. As though they got tired of carving by the time they got there and just stuck on a couple tail lights and called it a day. ;)

chris328 01-16-2013 09:38 AM

IROC-Z yo

boltjaM3s 01-16-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris328 (Post 7317726)
IROC-Z yo

I have no idea who buys these things anymore. And, no joke, every time I look inside the cockpit of the 1 Corvette I see every month I see a grandfather with stretched tattoos.

BJ

sr5959 01-16-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtc100 (Post 7317427)
Lately I do see more and more strikingly good looking young professional women stepping out of a vette.

For some reason that sounds very creepy dtc! :yikes:

dtc100 01-16-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 7317740)
I have no idea who buys these things anymore. And, no joke, every time I look inside the cockpit of the 1 Corvette I see every month I see a grandfather with stretched tattoos.

BJ

BJ, not only your talk is getting old, you are talking like an old man lately.

http://stblogs.motortrend.com/files/...r-1024x640.jpg

http://s1.aecdn.com/images/news/gall...gallery_13.jpg

Carnook 01-16-2013 09:51 AM

Only amateurs have to look at the dash to see their speed or RPMs. True drivers just know it by the feel of the car.

:)

dtc100 01-16-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyCMonkeyDo (Post 7317677)

This is the first Corvette since the 70s that has a back end that actually looks designed. I used to always joke that the corvette had a great design until you looked at it from behind. It always looked like the block of clay they started with. As though they got tired of carving by the time they got there and just stuck on a couple tail lights and called it a day. ;)

The back end reminded me of the new Porsche. It is definitely more upscale look inside and out. But one thing I learned, seeing the photos is very different than seeing in person.

I do like the BMW performance steering wheel a lot, but the sport seats can be more aggressive like the above in a real sports car. Unfortunately all the sport interior upgrades in the F30 cannot hide the impression the exterior looks more and more "executive" than sport.

boltjaM3s 01-16-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtc100 (Post 7317760)
BJ, not only your talk is getting old, you are talking like an old man lately.

If those photos are intended to make me think that the new Corvette is a young man's car, it's having the opposite effect.

And like the ATS, the Corvette is not a direct competitor to the 3 Series, and while it's fun to talk about these kind of strange, niche vehicles it doesn't really belong here so you shouldn't get upset when F30 owners voice their opinions.

BJ

dtc100 01-16-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 7317826)
If those photos are intended to make me think that the new Corvette is a young man's car, it's having the opposite effect.

And like the ATS, the Corvette is not a direct competitor to the 3 Series, and while it's fun to talk about these kind of strange, niche vehicles it doesn't really belong here so you shouldn't get upset when F30 owners voice their opinions.

BJ

Who is sounding upset? My grandpa, who could not stop talking about things happened decades ago, because he could not remember anything more recent. He was upset.

Of course I just learned you tend to use the word "opposite" in some unexpected fashion.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms