Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Black Leather Seat Turning White! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670492)

hunter1234 01-16-2013 12:53 PM

Black Leather Seat Turning White!

I have a (relatively) new 535i with black dakota leather. Last week as it got colder outside, I noticed one panel of the back left passenger seat turning chalky white. Has anyone else experienced this? The car has < 1000 miles on it and no one has even sat in that seat yet. I haven't tried cleaning it but it looks like the leather has a white powder all over it.

Thoughts?

dspaner 01-16-2013 01:09 PM

white chalky seat

I just purchased my 550 Dec 23rd 2012. I only have 400 miles on it and like you on-one has even sat in the passenger seat. I noticed the other day that the back leather in the passenger seat started to look a little bit like white chalk. Everyone thinks I am crazy when i bring it up. I live in Florida not sure what to make of this. very interesting that you notice this as well.

hunter1234 01-16-2013 01:12 PM

Very interesting - have you taken it to the dealer? I am going to give them a call and see what they say. It's really just limited to one section of the seat.

dspaner 01-16-2013 01:20 PM

I have not mentioed it or spoke to the dealer. Please keep me in formed on what they say to you and i will as well

jgscott987 01-17-2013 10:42 AM

Maybe try wiping it down with a damp cloth first? Could just be some manufacturing residue.

MDs1 01-17-2013 12:19 PM

If you didn't drop any white stuff on your seat, I am suspecting that it could be mold.

Alpine300ZHP 01-17-2013 12:47 PM

Hmm...I suspect it is leather conditioner. Many dealers wipe the seats down with leather conditioner and many of the conditioners are white liquid. These seats do not absorb conditioner very well and if it sat on the leather for a while, unabsorbed, it may be starting to become more visible to the eye. Try wiping the seats down with a good leather cleaner and I bet the white residue goes away. My favorite is Pinnacle Vinyl/Leather cleaner.

schnell525 01-17-2013 09:18 PM

I'm seeng this as well on my black dakota seats. i know this is not a high-line leather. i treat the seats at least monthly with 1Z Lederpflege. Mainly I see it on the passenger seat. 1Z is a good product. It's definitely not mold. I'm going to try leathermasters on it and see what happens. i will mention it to my SA on next visit though.

Decboy 01-17-2013 10:09 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words. It's hard to say without seeing it. It could be dust or other particles from the outside. Do you drive with your windows open? It could also be from deodorant. Some deodorant brands do leave some white powdery particles. All in all, black leather shows every little spec of dust or particles. It's just like having a black exterior color.

schnell525 01-17-2013 10:23 PM

I don't drive with my windows down. Always use the CC system. It may be from jeans but who knows. I'm thinking dakata is low end painted leather with a sealant. It's not deodorant. If I can, I'll get a pic. Nappa didn't look that durable given a couple loaner cars that I had had--then again it was the very light colored leather.

hunter1234 01-18-2013 07:14 AM

It's definitely not mold; the car was built in early December and was delivered in mid December. I don't roll the windows down. I'll try wiping it up; interesting that a couple other people who had cars build/delivered in the same month are having the same problem. Will post results.

Campfamily 01-18-2013 07:22 AM

Do you wear sunscreen? I've noticed that will turn the leather white on both of my cars with dark leather interiors. Real POA to get clean, most conditioners won't take it out. Haven't had to do it to my car yet, but on my wife's car, I had to use a mild soap solution to remove the sunscreen, then re-conditioned the heck out of it when I was done.

Keith

Decboy 01-18-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Campfamily (Post 7321965)
Do you wear sunscreen? I've noticed that will turn the leather white on both of my cars with dark leather interiors. Real POA to get clean, most conditioners won't take it out. Haven't had to do it to my car yet, but on my wife's car, I had to use a mild soap solution to remove the sunscreen, then re-conditioned the heck out of it when I was done.

Keith

Sunscreen is the worse. Luckily we're not beach people. If so, a seat cover is a must for any black leather interior. If left on long enough, it's almost impossible to remove it completely without tearing the leather.

FreqMan 01-19-2013 04:53 PM

My black Dakota also had the white tinge. When I applied BMW leather seat cleaner, it went away.