Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Z3-Bilstein Touring Bump Stops (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670611)

Dheilman 01-17-2013 05:54 AM

Z3-Bilstein Touring Bump Stops
 
I just received a new set of Bilstein Touring struts for my 98 Z3 2.8. When I removed the old struts, the bump stops were in extremely bad condition. I have searched this forum trying to find a definitive answer as to whether or not Touring struts have an internal bump stop as do the Sport or HD Bilsteins. The question has been asked numerous times...but no sure answer. I don't mind getting new bump stops if I need to but why do that if they aren't necessary. I have also contacted the supplier where I bought my struts and they offered to contact Biltsein. If I get results from that query, I will post it. Do Bilstein Touring struts have internal bump stops?

vintage42 01-17-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dheilman (Post 7319712)
I just received a new set of Bilstein Touring struts for my 98 Z3 2.8. When I removed the old struts, the bump stops were in extremely bad condition. I have searched this forum trying to find a definitive answer as to whether or not Touring struts have an internal bump stop as do the Sport or HD Bilsteins... Do Bilstein Touring struts have internal bump stops?

Below is a reply from Turner Motorsport to my question about whether the OE bump stop and cover worked with Bilstein HD struts. The issue to me is not whether any Bilstein strut has an internal valving that replaces the external OE bump stop. The issue to me is the corrugated yellow plastic bellows cover that all Bilstein struts have. That cover fits on the rod, not over or under the OE cover, or bunched up underneath the OE bumper without the OE cover. So I think any Bilstein strut with the yellow bellows cover cannot be used with the OE rubber bump stop and big rigid plastic cover that snaps onto the bottom of the bumper:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...umpercover.jpg

Turner Motorsports said:
Quote:

I have contacted Bilstein directly and they said this shock does not require an additional bump stop as there is one internally built in to the shock absorber itself. That's why the shock looks the way it does and the dust cover WOULD NOT accommodate the factory bump stop.
Thank you!
Jason Gannett
Sales Manager | Turner Motorsport
978-388-7769 x-137
/ // Parts and Performance for BMWs
www.turnermotorsport.com

Dheilman 01-17-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintage42 (Post 7320216)
So I think any Bilstein strut with the yellow bellows cover cannot be used with the OE rubber bump stop and big rigid plastic cover that snaps onto the bottom of the bumper

Thanks...but Bilstein touring struts do not have a dust cover included. Your reply from Turner appears to address Bilstein HD's not the Touring Struts.

vintage42 01-17-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintage42 (Post 7320216)
Below is a reply from Turner Motorsport to my question about whether the OE bump stop and cover worked with Bilstein HD struts...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dheilman (Post 7320305)
Thanks...but Bilstein touring struts do not have a dust cover included. Your reply from Turner appears to address Bilstein HD's not the Touring Struts.

Yes, it was about the HDs.
Since the Tourings don't have a yellow bellows dust cover, they are evidently OE-style, with no internal bump valving, and require the OE bump stop with its attached plastic dust cover. Otherwise, how are you going to have a dust cover?

Dheilman 01-17-2013 02:37 PM

I just heard back from the supplier where I bought my struts. He checked with Bilstein and the Touring model struts do not have an internal bump stop and do require an external bump stop.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms