Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Ok, what about the new Q50? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670625)

dtc100 01-17-2013 08:59 AM

Ok, what about the new Q50?
 
I kind like the new look, but still too bloated to make me too excited:

http://asset3.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d...57_620x413.jpg

Since there is no new engine introduced, don't know if the coarse engine sound will change much.

tturedraider 01-17-2013 09:25 AM

This car is a 7 Series competitor, is it not?

dtc100 01-17-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tturedraider (Post 7320030)
This car is a 7 Series competitor, is it not?

Guess that was a bit of my point too. In case you are serious, it is the rebadged G37. If someone likes the mean look of the F30, I think the Q50 is meaner:)

jplev 01-17-2013 09:35 AM

I will be anxious to see the pricing and gas mileage of the hybrid version. If you can get it loaded with good gas mileage and stay in the $40s, it will be worth a strong look IMO.

tturedraider 01-17-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtc100 (Post 7320043)
Guess that was a bit of my point too. In case you are serious, it is the rebadged G37. If someone likes the mean look of the F30, I think the Q50 is meaner:)

I am serious. I've heard ruminations about the Q50, but I thought they were bringing back their full size sedan. Are they dropping the G and replacing it with a Q model name?

Michael Schott 01-17-2013 09:36 AM

If it's more refined and has an improved MT gearbox it's worth a strong look.

jplev 01-17-2013 09:37 AM

The Q50 takes the place of the G sedan, Q60 the G coupe and convertible and the Q70 will take the place of the M.

dtc100 01-17-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jplev (Post 7320059)
I will be anxious to see the pricing and gas mileage of the hybrid version. If you can get it loaded with good gas mileage and stay in the $40s, it will be worth a strong look IMO.

Like the new IS, the Q50 will keep the old engine, which probably means they can compete with lower price.

The hybrid is unpredictable. BMW has one for a while, I haven't heard anyone mentioning it.

tturedraider 01-17-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtc100 (Post 7319959)
I kind like the new look, but still too bloated to make me too excited:

http://asset3.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d...57_620x413.jpg

Since there is no new engine introduced, don't know if the coarse engine sound will change much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jplev (Post 7320064)
The Q50 takes the place of the G sedan, Q60 the G coupe and convertible and the Q70 will take the place of the M.

Yeah, so I just did a little reading.

I think that is absolutely STUPID!!!

I always like the G design. It actually looked like it was trying to compete with the 3er.

This new thing looks like it's trying to compete with the 5er. I hate Audi's bulbous grill and I hate this one even more.

From Automobile Magazine:

"With the introduction of the 2014 Infiniti Q50 at the Detroit auto show, we see the direction that Nissan's premium car division is charting for the future, as this replacement for the Infiniti G37 sedan presents a new face and new technology in an effort to capture a new market."

"....a new market.", I guess Infiniti is throwing in the towel in their efforts to be a BMW competitor.

jplev 01-17-2013 09:55 AM

I think you need to see these cars in person as pictures don't often do them justice. I was on the fence as to the looks of the F30 until I saw it in person - much better looking than in the pictures.

dtc100 01-17-2013 09:56 AM

To be fair though, the F30 is trying to look more like a 5. You don't seem to mind.

moviebumm 01-17-2013 10:07 AM

I think a lot of people are confused because of the Q name which dates back to the 1990's that put the Q45 against the BMW 7 series.
The thing is Infiniti has decided to created a brand new line. The 2014 Q has nothing to do with the Q of the 1990's to early 2000's.
The upcoming Q is the successor to the G.

1985mb 01-17-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moviebumm (Post 7320133)
I think a lot of people are confused because of the Q name which dates back to the 1990's that put the Q45 against the BMW 7 series.
The thing is Infiniti has decided to created a brand new line. The 2014 Q has nothing to do with the Q of the 1990's to early 2000's.
The upcoming Q is the successor to the G.

Not entirely accurate to call it a brand new line. This is a g37 replacement and still a 3/a4/c/is competitor. It also happens to be the beginning of Infiniti rebranding their entire lineup where every car will be Qxx and every SUV QXxx

tturedraider 01-17-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtc100 (Post 7320112)
To be fair though, the F30 is trying to look more like a 5. You don't seem to mind.

I'll grant you the tail lights and the rear of the F30 look very much like the F10. I am very good at being able to tell apart the details of cars and I have a hard time with the rear of the F30 and the F10. IMO they are too similar. But, overall the F30 3er doesn't look any more like the 5er or the 7er than it ever has. Which is to say they look very similar and share a strong family resemblance. Just not any more than is traditional for BMW. Chris Bangle tried to change that and despite all the protestations we hear about BMWs looking too much alike - same sausage, three lengths - the market spoke and said they actually want BMWs to look like each other.

Maybe the Q50 looks smaller in person, but in these photos it looks enormous. It also doesn't look sporty like a 3er.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985mb (Post 7320191)
Not entirely accurate to call it a brand new line. This is a g37 replacement and still a 3/a4/c/is competitor. It also happens to be the beginning of Infiniti rebranding their entire lineup where every car will be Qxx and every SUV QXxx

I think BMW is utterly stupid to change the 3er coupe/'vert to the 4 Series. I think Infiniti is even more utterly stupid. So, let's just throw away over 20 years of brand identity we've spent building individual model identities and give them all the same name. Did George Foreman join the board of directors of Infiniti??

They might as well drop the Q completely. Just call the cars the 50, 60, and 70. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.

boltjaM3s 01-17-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtc100 (Post 7319959)

Ok, what about the new Q50?

Is it your intention to create a new thread about every car launched in the United States of America every day?

Just asking because we have a forum specifically for that type of off topic conversation.

BJ

408Racer 01-17-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tturedraider (Post 7320228)
They might as well drop the Q completely. Just call the car the 50, 60, and 70. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.

I guess they wanted to wipe the slate clean...the G is a failure in terms of toppling the benchmark...driven by annoying wannabe Stigs always trying to prove something.

chris328 01-17-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 7320236)
Is it your intention to create a new thread about every car launched in the United States of America every day?

Just asking because we have a forum specifically for that type of off topic conversation.

BJ

seriously. i come to this forum to look/talk about BMW, not ugly ass hunks of metal. this is not Consumer Reports. getting pretty fed up with this crap in my face every time i come here. :(

boltjaM3s 01-17-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris328 (Post 7320256)
seriously. i come to this forum to look/talk about BMW, not ugly ass hunks of metal. this is not Consumer Reports. getting pretty fed up with this crap in my face every time i come here.

Thank you, and I'm glad I'm not alone here.

Most of us either want to celebrate our enjoyment of the F30 or are potential customers looking for information. We don't come here to learn about all of these other off-brands and all of these secondary cars that we have no interest in owning. And if there are people who are interested, I apologize to you, but we have a forum specifically dedicated for that kind of talk right here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64

You hearing us atc100? Check it out. You'll love it.

BJ

dtc100 01-17-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tturedraider (Post 7320228)
Maybe the Q50 looks smaller in person, but in these photos it looks enormous. It also doesn't look sporty like a 3er.

This photo does have that effect. I was trying to show BJ how a mean looking car can be:)

Whether it looks more sporty than F30 is entirely a personal opinion, I will not be surprised if someone thinks the Q50 looks more sporty than F30.

Personally I think both are a little too bloated than necessary.

boltjaM3s 01-17-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtc100 (Post 7320271)

This photo does have that effect. I was trying to show BJ how a mean looking car can be

BJ would rather you go to the General Automotive Forum where talk like this belongs:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64

We come here to learn about the F30. If we want to have all of these other brands shoved in our faces every day, we would go to forums for those other brands.

BJ

Michael Schott 01-17-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris328 (Post 7320256)
seriously. i come to this forum to look/talk about BMW, not ugly ass hunks of metal. this is not Consumer Reports. getting pretty fed up with this crap in my face every time i come here. :(

You have the option to skip these threads then. Part of talking about the 3 series is talking about it's competitors and as this is the week the NAIAS starts you will see a lot more of this. I find these threads more interesting than those about disabling the stop start system and the like.

dtc100 01-17-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 7320276)
BJ would rather you go to the General Automotive Forum where talk like this belongs:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64

We come here to learn about the F30. If we want to have all of these other brands shoved in our faces every day, we would go to forums for those other brands.

BJ

But BJ does not hang around the other forum long enough to know how mean the Q50 looks compared to his L328i. Would BJ duck when the Q50 approaches? I bet single moms in the Wal-Mart parking lot will gravitate more to the meaner looking dude.

boltjaM3s 01-17-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtc100 (Post 7320544)
But BJ does not hang around the other forum long enough to know how mean the Q50 looks compared to his L328i. Would BJ duck when the Q50 approaches? I bet single moms in the Wal-Mart parking lot will gravitate more to the meaner looking dude.

Can you stop already.

BJ

pony_trekker 01-17-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtc100 (Post 7319959)
I kind like the new look, but still too bloated to make me too excited:

http://asset3.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d...57_620x413.jpg

Since there is no new engine introduced, don't know if the coarse engine sound will change much.

Looks like the Angry Snowman (couldn't find a clean picture)

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/rjdWF1eg1bw/0.jpg

tturedraider 01-17-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Schott (Post 7320308)
You have the option to skip these threads then. Part of talking about the 3 series is talking about it's competitors and as this is the week the NAIAS starts you will see a lot more of this. I find these threads more interesting than those about disabling the stop start system and the like.

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 7320685)
Can you stop already.

BJ

Dude, you started it in this thread. If you don't want to be seen as discriminatory you need to go over to the thread I started regarding the 2014 Lexus IS and tell me to stop posting about cars other than the F30. :rolleyes:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms