Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Auto Start Stop- I really don't hate it that much. (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670645)

KingpenM3 01-17-2013 10:32 AM

Auto Start Stop- I really don't hate it that much.
 
After reading about the ASS function on here so often, I expected the absolute worst. But I really don't mind it that much. I do wish that you could set how long the car has to be still before it is activated yourself. I think it is a bit quick on the draw. It seems almost calming to be waiting at a red light without the engine just wanting to go. I also think the Auto-H makes the ASS even better. Pull up to stop somewhere, go ahead and let off the brake, engine goes off, and then everything pops back to life when you're ready to go.:dunno:

Die Wolfe 01-17-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingpenM3 (Post 7320177)
After reading about the ASS function on here so often, I expected the absolute worst. But I really don't mind it that much. I do wish that you could set how long the car has to be still before it is activated yourself. I think it is a bit quick on the draw. It seems almost calming to be waiting at a red light without the engine just wanting to go. I also think the Auto-H makes the ASS even better. Pull up to stop somewhere, go ahead and let off the brake, engine goes off, and then everything pops back to life when you're ready to go.:dunno:

Couldn't agree more. It sounded like a huge deal and concerned me before we picked up our 535i. However, it ended up not being a big deal at all.

solstice 01-17-2013 11:38 AM

Have any of you who uses this function gotten a good idea of your fuel savings over a longer period? Is it more than 1 mpg? I'm not interrested in details as how many stop lights, distance etc. just your mpg with it on vs. off if you have measured both. Both our cars have it ( 2011 M3 and 2013 Cayenne ) but both are set to permanently off since neither of us like the sensation of the engine shutting off and on.

Die Wolfe 01-17-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solstice (Post 7320303)
Have any of you who uses this function gotten a good idea of your fuel savings over a longer period? Is it more than 1 mpg? I'm not interrested in details as how many stop lights, distance etc. just your mpg with it on vs. off if you have measured both. Both our cars have it ( 2011 M3 and 2013 Cayenne ) but both are set to permanently off since neither of us like the sensation of the engine shutting off and on.

Never measured the mpg but have been meaning to out of sheer curiosity. I doubt it's a huge difference; maybe just enough to give BMW their mpg numbers for advertisement.

I didn't know M series BMWs had ASS; my X5M doesn't have it so I figured it wouldn't even be an option on any M's???

solstice 01-17-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Die Wolfe (Post 7320347)
Never measured the mpg but have been meaning to out of sheer curiosity. I doubt it's a huge difference; maybe just enough to give BMW their mpg numbers for advertisement.

I didn't know M series BMWs had ASS; my X5M doesn't have it so I figured it wouldn't even be an option on any M's???

Maybe the M3 is balancing on the gas guzzler line and BMW thought it was worth and attempt to land on the right side and failed? Who knows but the E9X M3 has it.

Die Wolfe 01-17-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solstice (Post 7320371)
Maybe the M3 is balancing on the gas guzzler line and BMW thought it was worth and attempt to land on the right side and failed? Who knows but the E9X M3 has it.

Damn, but at least it sounds like you can disable it. On the F10 you have to always disable it each time you restart the car.

solstice 01-17-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Die Wolfe (Post 7320379)
Damn, but at least it sounds like you can disable it. On the F10 you have to always disable it each time you restart the car.

Yes, it's the same as on the Cayenne. You switch it off and it stay off.

The X Men 01-17-2013 12:25 PM

I like the ASS myself as well, its nice and quiet at a stop light. If I need to get off the light quick, I just pop it in DS mode and the ASS will turn off. The weather here lately has been below 37 deg F where the ASS is diable. My MPG computer show a decrease of about 2 MPG, but some of that could be due to the winter gas blend as well.

solstice 01-17-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The X Men (Post 7320400)
I like the ASS myself as well, its nice and quiet at a stop light. If I need to get off the light quick, I just pop it in DS mode and the ASS will turn off. The weather here lately has been below 37 deg F where the ASS is diable. My MPG computer show a decrease of about 2 MPG, but some of that could be due to the winter gas blend as well.

Thanks, 2 mpg is rather significant.

Keyser Soze 01-17-2013 12:42 PM

F10 owners, go over into the coding thread and it's really easy to code yourself even if you have no idea WTF they coders are talking about. There are instructions available that run along the lines of: 1 download 2 install 3 connect 4 start program 5 go to this directory 6 change this (SOME LONG GERMAN WORD) from "Aktiv" to "Nicht Aktiv" in a dropdown box 7 save 8 done

ASS wasn't a show stopper for me but I still coded it off...........not that I even drive my F10 much : (

gsmith999 01-18-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Die Wolfe (Post 7320379)
Damn, but at least it sounds like you can disable it. On the F10 you have to always disable it each time you restart the car.

Had mine re-coded by the dealer to remember last state, and I can't tell you how much more I enjoy my car now. Maybe for some ASS is no big deal, but my stop and go daily commute was not friendly with the ASS system.
Have your car programmed by the dealer. You can still use the function if you want, but at least you won't have to keep disabling it every time you start the car.

skymast 01-19-2013 06:46 AM

i dont like it and disabled it. I could never get use to turning it off and new passengers thought the car ran out of gas.

The X Men 01-19-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skymast (Post 7323805)
i dont like it and disabled it. I could never get use to turning it off and new passengers thought the car ran out of gas.

I guess your passengers never been in a Hybrid before :)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms