Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Resale value of Individual color? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670824)

markl53 01-18-2013 08:06 AM

Resale value of Individual color?

Wanted some thoughts or experiences. I'm starting to plan to replace my '11 535i with a 2014, and I'm thinking of possibly going with an Individual paint color (Citrin Black). Individual paint options are "only" $1800 vs. $550 for the normal metallics. For just the paint, you don't have to get the full $5800 Individual composition. Anyway, I'm wondering if there's any added value when I eventually sell the car after 3 or 4 years.

omaralt 01-18-2013 08:33 AM

nope, i would say not at all. most people just dont care

Kar Don 01-18-2013 08:40 AM

Citrin Black seems like such a bland color, especially coming from black sapphire. A color that is no longer available may command a premium to the right buyer... for example someone posted pics of a Laguna Seca Blue 2013 M6.

For a 535i the interior being "individual" I could see as commanding a premium as this is more appealing to a 5-series buyer (nappa dash, special interior colors/leathers).

Needsdecaf 01-18-2013 08:56 AM

Not likely to get you any value.

Disagree with the above that Citrin Black is bland. Not at all.

Gilgorm 01-18-2013 09:05 AM

Color is an individual thing so I doubt someone would pay a premium for it in the future. That being said, the car MAY sell faster if it appeals to a broad range of buyers or it MAY sell slower for the opposite reason.

markl53 01-18-2013 09:57 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kar Don (Post 7322119)
Citrin Black seems like such a bland color, especially coming from black sapphire. A color that is no longer available may command a premium to the right buyer... for example someone posted pics of a Laguna Seca Blue 2013 M6.

I'm not necessarily looking for an overly "bright" color. Color is a very individual preference, but the pictures I've seen of Citrin Black make it look very attractive to me. Individual paints are very highly metallic, but seeing one in person is probably not an easy task.

Alan L. 01-18-2013 10:17 AM

Dealer trade in - not likely getting you any additional value

Private sale - depends if you have the right buyer. Enthusiasts would pay more if the color is unique enough. For me personally citrin black isn't worth the extra dime.

Alan

1HOT BMR 01-18-2013 10:17 AM

Most people care a lot about the color of their car and they make an effort to find the color they want. There is no additional value for any color - individual or not, but . . . it will take you longer to sell a car with an unusual or overly bright color. Thiink of the additional money you spend on the special paint as your cost of enjoying that "magnificent" color for the time you own your car. Remember that you only need one buyer and one only, and that person will be just as thrilled with the color as you were ordering it.

TJH-5 01-18-2013 10:48 AM

Do it for your own enjoyment but don't expect anything extra on resale

Now if its worth it to you go for it

solstice 01-18-2013 10:50 AM

I would think if it's a very popular color that is missing andf significantly different from the standard palette it would be worth a premium used. Carbon black on a non M-Sport could be such a color. For the M3 I'm sure a TiA could fetch extra money as used. These are very popular colors that are missing and would still make your car unique.

quackbury 01-18-2013 11:46 AM

Question: If you lease, is Individual paint "residualizable"?

It seems to me that if you are purchasing, you are unlikely to recoup any extra value for the $1,800. (If anything, it might scare off private buyers). So driving the car for 3 years, it's going to cost you $50/month (plus financing costs) to have Citrin Black or the equivalent.

OTOH if you lease and the cost of the paint is residualized, it's only going to cost you +/- $25/month (plus financing costs) for the paint, and finding a second home for the car becomes BMWFS's problem. I know some folks are philosophically opposed to leasing, but if you are on the fence, it might be worth exploring.

snj1013 01-18-2013 01:58 PM

Get the individual paint if the cost is worth it to you. Don't plan on getting any of your money back. One item that you might want to consider is the potential problem you may run into in the event your car needs repair. How available are these individual paints to body shops??? Just a thought.

AutoUnion 01-18-2013 02:27 PM

Depends on the color. If it is some hideous beige or something, then no. But if it is a nice black, etc, then I can see resale being a little higher.

Sophisto 01-18-2013 02:36 PM

Do not expect any serious return on such a personal investment.

oneon3putts 01-18-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quackbury (Post 7322540)
Question: If you lease, is Individual paint "residualizable"?

Yes it is. Have it on my car.

Needsdecaf 01-18-2013 07:02 PM

General rule of thumb from dealers and wholesalers: colors don't add money. Bad colors detract from book value. Normal colors simply hold book value.

Popoemt 01-18-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markl53 (Post 7322293)
I'm not necessarily looking for an overly "bright" color. Color is a very individual preference, but the pictures I've seen of Citrin Black make it look very attractive to me. Individual paints are very highly metallic, but seeing one in person is probably not an easy task.

I saw it at a dealership in the bay area, it was on an individual 7 series... it was pretty sweet looking, I kept looking at it as we passed it, finally I went over and just looked the car over and the CA came over and told me about the car and the color... random that I saw it in person, but it was very nice :thumbup: V/r, Tim

markl53 01-19-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Popoemt (Post 7323627)
I saw it at a dealership in the bay area, it was on an individual 7 series... it was pretty sweet looking, I kept looking at it as we passed it, finally I went over and just looked the car over and the CA came over and told me about the car and the color... random that I saw it in person, but it was very nice :thumbup: V/r, Tim

Thanks for the impression, and cool that you were able to actually see it. I posted a few pics above that I found at a site with many pictures of a GranCoupe in sunlight and it looks to me like an interesting color. I'm picky about the "tone" of a color, meaning there are hundreds of blues, browns, etc. If the tone is "off" I just can't like it.

Chuck W. 01-19-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJH-5 (Post 7322430)
Do it for your own enjoyment but don't expect anything extra on resale

Now if its worth it to you go for it

Exactly. My next one (M4) will be orange. When it goes, who cares if I lose more money than I will have already lost. As Long as you enjoy it while you have it, go for it. Cars like this are not an investment.

760Lifan 01-22-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kar Don (Post 7322119)
For a 535i the interior being "individual" I could see as commanding a premium as this is more appealing to a 5-series buyer (nappa dash, special interior colors/leathers).

So does the individual package on the 535/550 does indeed include the nappa dash? I thought that was another, separate option..:dunno:

jagu 01-22-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 760Lifan (Post 7329799)
So does the individual package on the 535/550 does indeed include the nappa dash? I thought that was another, separate option..:dunno:

When I check the individual composition package , it includes the extended leather which I believe is the leather dash.

dbs600 01-22-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markl53 (Post 7322293)

The 6 pictured is not Citrin Black, but Ruby Black.

I have a 7 in Citrin and it looks more like this:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/att...7-series-1.jpg

Ruby is Eggplant/Red, while Citrin is Yellow/Gold, both being more Brown than Black in direct light.

Here is Ruby Black:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/att...chwarz-042.jpg

And, believe it or not, Citrin has not only Yellow/Gold flake, but Green and Red/Pink as well!

760Lifan 01-22-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagu (Post 7329935)
When I check the individual composition package , it includes the extended leather which I believe is the leather dash.

Yeah, extended leather - but not full.

I was under the impression that the dash is not included. The initial press-release said it was but the configurator doesn't mention it. The few I found on google didn't have it.:thumbdwn:

Keyser Soze 01-22-2013 03:09 PM

Instead of having 97 different "blacks" can BMW bring back "STAHLGRAU" Steel Grey please, TIA.

dbs600 01-22-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 760Lifan (Post 7330461)
the configurator doesn't mention it.

The configurator is often WRONG!