Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Oil leaks help on 2006 650 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670985)

Gnice 01-19-2013 07:51 AM

Oil leaks help on 2006 650

Hi I'm new to this forum. I have been reading many other threads about this topic. Brought my car to the dealer to see we're it was leaking from. They told me that it was leaking from oil pressure sensor valve cover gaskets and possibly the rear main seal. They also said that its leaking from some electronic transmission sleeve . $6700.00 dealer cost. After reading all the forums I made the choice to do the work myself. Does anybody have any suggestions on a DIY for the transmission sleeve gasket? And any extra helpful hints on oil gaskets and orings?

645/333 01-19-2013 10:36 AM

Hi! they are probably talking about the mechatronics sleeve which is fairly common, plus many suffer from cracked plastic pans, so you replace everything in order to reach the sleeve so you have to take the trans pan off, then most will change the fluid, at least 5-6 litres.
There are a number of threads with a really good DIY on the E60 forum and another on the E65. The leaks are very common across the range of BMW cars now.

HerbP 01-19-2013 06:18 PM

Everything you need should be in the DIY section. The Mechatronics sleeve is fairly easy, & all parts & fluid will be around 275.00. The valve cover gaskets can be purchased aftermarket, but make sure you buy quality parts. To change the valve cover gaskets, could be anywhere from 8 to 16 hours depending on your skills. This is not an exaggeration by any means.'

Welcome to the BMW world!

Gnice 01-20-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 645/333 (Post 7324111)
Hi! they are probably talking about the mechatronics sleeve which is fairly common, plus many suffer from cracked plastic pans, so you replace everything in order to reach the sleeve so you have to take the trans pan off, then most will change the fluid, at least 5-6 litres.
There are a number of threads with a really good DIY on the E60 forum and another on the E65. The leaks are very common across the range of BMW cars now.

So I should replace the pan even if there is no leaks except mechatronics sleeve ?

645/333 01-20-2013 11:56 AM

Personally I would change the pan as well as many of them are leaking and cracking at around 60K give or take or x years. Being plastic they do not hold up well, plus as you will have to drain the oil as well you might as well do the whole lot, once done! doubt you would have to do it again for the lifetime of ownership!!!!
I don't think I am the only person on here who would advise this to be the best course of action!
Another point just read the threads about people having leaks and see what it does to the transmission, the running of a 6 series is as much about prevention as it is doing regular maintenance......

HerbP 01-20-2013 02:32 PM

Change all the parts & fluid, while you are at it!

greco2000 01-20-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 645/333 (Post 7325808)
Personally I would change the pan as well as many of them are leaking and cracking at around 60K give or take or x years. Being plastic they do not hold up well, plus as you will have to drain the oil as well you might as well do the whole lot, once done! doubt you would have to do it again for the lifetime of ownership!!!!
I don't think I am the only person on here who would advise this to be the best course of action!
Another point just read the threads about people having leaks and see what it does to the transmission, the running of a 6 series is as much about prevention as it is doing regular maintenance......

Definitely do the whole tranny pan, fluid change and megatronic sleeve. Don't cheap out on this. Use OEM parts and fluid.

Gnice 01-20-2013 05:23 PM

Thanks for all your advice... Looks like I'm changing the pan the sleeve seal and oil. Is there any thing else why I'm in there that I should change?

HerbP 01-20-2013 06:46 PM

That should take care of everything.

Good Luck!

07 E63650i 01-20-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnice (Post 7326276)
Thanks for all your advice... Looks like I'm changing the pan the sleeve seal and oil. Is there any thing else why I'm in there that I should change?

For the transmission, that should be it. :thumbup: