Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E60 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Why BMW Owners Wash Their Cars More Than Others (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671012)

dploy 01-19-2013 10:44 AM

Why BMW Owners Wash Their Cars More Than Others

Intersting

www.openaccessmarkets.com/Blog.html

Munich77 01-19-2013 11:17 AM

How about because the damn brake dust is so hard to remove (even with Sonax wheel effects).

themust 01-19-2013 11:35 AM

Written by someone who has never owned, let alone appreciated, a BMW. There is a sizable group out there who believe that BMW drivers are after status and prestige. They are usually envious and bitter people. For many people, cars are an appliance and that's fine, and I wouldn't recommend BMW to those people. I wash my car because it looks better to me when clean and the aforementioned brake dust. I also enjoy the process of washing the car. It's a therapeutic escape that allows me to caress and marvel at my baby. Yeah, I went there...

dploy 01-19-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themust (Post 7324249)
Written by someone who has never owned, let alone appreciated, a BMW. There is a sizable group out there who believe that BMW drivers are after status and prestige. They are usually envious and bitter people. For many people, cars are an appliance and that's fine, and I wouldn't recommend BMW to those people. I wash my car because it looks better to me when clean and the aforementioned brake dust. I also enjoy the process of washing the car. It's a therapeutic escape that allows me to caress and marvel at my baby. Yeah, I went there...

Says on the last line: BTW I own a 535i :dunno:

themust 01-19-2013 11:52 AM

Don't confuse me with the facts. Just killing time on a flight from San francisco to Atlanta to watch the niners kick some falcon butt!

Akshun 01-19-2013 01:25 PM

@themust. Take another look at the article. The author confesses to owning a 535i.

Vandalay 01-19-2013 02:40 PM

here's why I wash my car more than most: I'm a clean freak. I'm in my car a lot and I like to be comfortable. Knowing it's clean makes me comfortable. My first car was a 1993 Nissan Alitma. I treated it the same way. My second car was a 2002 Maxima. Cleanest car on the block. My wife's previous car, an infiniti g35, stayed clean. her current car - a lexus rx350. stays clean. and so does my 550. it's just how I am and has little to do with BMW - although the car looks great when polished.

I'm a male, I guess I'm middle class, whatever that means and it wasn't a sacrafice to purchase my car. Interesting article but mostly useless.

mleedom 01-19-2013 02:51 PM

Ya I kind of just enjoy washing my car on the weekends. It relaxes me and I like things clean. The author who wrote this is a Douche Bag and had nothing better to write. Clearly he's stereotyping us BMW/luxury car owners... He should have his 535 revoked!

dploy 01-19-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mleedom (Post 7324532)
Ya I kind of just enjoy washing my car on the weekends. It relaxes me and I like things clean. The author who wrote this is a Douche Bag and had nothing better to write. Clearly he's stereotyping us BMW/luxury car owners... He should have his 535 revoked!

Its curious that you took it so personally and negative. I took a positive message from it - BMW owners are loyal and repeat buyers. What pissed you off so much about it?

boramkiv 01-19-2013 03:50 PM

I've probably owned Bimmers too long to consider them prestige anymore. Honestly at one point I thought so. Many people do. A coworker showed up in a used 2012 C class Benz some weeks ago and said he bought it for his wife because she got her bachelors and wanted to feel as if she accomplished something in life. I smiled, then (laughed to myself outside a little). I didn't want to disrespect his logic. The thing is BMW, Merc and Audi are still perceived by many as a status symbol. They think It's not so much the fact that you can afford the car, but more so the fact that you can afford the repairs.

I wash my bimmers on average about twice a week, but I would do that to any car. A clean car IS a happy car and from experience also a bit less troublesome. It's not because its a bmw, (well kinda) but more so its a modern car. I'm not in a 2011+ car, but I've been asked that before on both of them. So washing the car pays off in the sense that most people have NO CLUE what type of BMW it is so they give you some crazy off the wall compliments, and it lasts longer or retain its value better.

The best comment on my car: "that's a nice M5 mahn." :loco:
The best comment on my X5 was back in 2011: "that's the 2011 right, I'm thinking about getting one." :rofl:

UltimateDriving 01-19-2013 04:35 PM

Well to be honest, i wash my cars once (At most twice but that rarely happens) a week because . . . i like to keep ALL my things clean and in top condition.
That's including gadgets, cars . . . everything.

RipSnort535i 01-19-2013 06:37 PM

I just enjoy washing my car. I also like listening to music.....and watching hockey on TV.

audiophool 01-19-2013 08:52 PM

Hmmm, I've washed mine 2 or 3 times since August and have yet to wax it. I think I cleaned the interior once too. Wonder what that says about me aside from the fact I work full time and seem to never have time to do anything... :dunno:

dploy 01-20-2013 11:19 AM

Just washed mine!

mrsean 01-20-2013 11:23 AM

I wash mine like onces I week but how do I get that dang brake dust to go away I downshift instead of uses breaks as much as I can help please haha

rok8man 01-20-2013 12:12 PM

I get my car washed because a) I have a carbon black and its hard to keep clean and you can see dust and dirt very easily and b) the car washes are free from the dealership which is like two minutes from me.

I fit the demographic that the blogger was pointing to. I have always dreamt of owning a BMW and I had to wait a long time for it and now that I have one I am sold on BMW quality. Went on a four hour road trip yesterday and the seats were unbelievably comfortable. I didnt feel tired once.

I dont know why BMW owners get a bad rap for being a d*bag... I for one certainly am no and never will aspire to be one :D

jim165 01-20-2013 03:11 PM

I just washed mine today too! I changed out to ceramic pads last summer because the god awful brake dust was unbearable. I don't want to spend 2 hrs washing my car, only to go 5 miles and my wheels are black from the dust.

booyaazaa 01-20-2013 04:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just washed and waxed mine. Don't know about this guy but i like washing my car because its relaxing in a zen kind of way. Attachment 358547

booyaazaa 01-20-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim165 (Post 7326166)
I just washed mine today too! I changed out to ceramic pads last summer because the god awful brake dust was unbearable. I don't want to spend 2 hrs washing my car, only to go 5 miles and my wheels are black from the dust.

The brake dust is annoying. I guess the good thing for me since I have black gloss wheels is after 5 mile they look like matte black ones.

Munich77 01-20-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booyaazaa (Post 7326300)
Just washed and waxed mine. Don't know about this guy but i like washing my car because its relaxing in a zen kind of way. Attachment 358547

I totally agree there is something relaxing about washing a car.

H F 01-20-2013 06:05 PM

Well,, I stopped,,,,and don't wash my car any more,,,,
I only use McGuire's clear quick detailer and quick wax spray every weekend. And dust it offf once or twice during the week ... The only thing I wash now are my wheels ,,
I enjoy keeping my baby clean,, and it's like therapy for me. It's all in my head ,,but the car feels better when its clean,,,,and shiny

batmbl 01-21-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H F (Post 7326442)
Well,, I stopped,,,,and don't wash my car any more,,,,
I only use McGuire's clear quick detailer and quick wax spray every weekend. And dust it offf once or twice during the week ... The only thing I wash now are my wheels ,,
I enjoy keeping my baby clean,, and it's like therapy for me. It's all in my head ,,but the car feels better when its clean,,,,and shiny

I agree with you - a Cali duster and quick detailer can keep your car looking very good with minimal work. That said, I do enjoy washing my cars (I enjoy the result more than the process, though).

eddieliu 01-22-2013 06:48 AM

I spend about an hour every week to wash my car and another hour every 2 weeks to wax it. It's joyful when I see my car become shiny again and smooth when touch.

TBCWitter 01-22-2013 12:39 PM

Author misses one of the reasons I wash my car. I do a better job than the cheese eating teenagers at the local car wash. $15.00 for a basic, car is not thoroughly dry when you leave and badly streaked when you get home, wash. Add $5.00 for the "wheel deal" and $3.00 for the presumptive tip = waste of time and money.
I only use the car wash when it is too cold to do it myself and to get the salt and winter debris off the car.
I think the "wheel deal" pisses me off the most. The rims don't get touched unless you pay the extra $5.00. Clean body and dirty wheels = waste of time and money.
Thanks for letting me rant!:)

Dorfman 01-22-2013 01:44 PM

BMW Washing

I always wash my car once a week by hand and dry it (the Zaino products are awesome). I find the process relaxing. At least when you finish the job the car looks great (at least temporarily). Cleaning the wheels is a complete pain but just part of the price we pay for great braking.