Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   European Delivery (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Need Feedback on European Delivery Process (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671033)

CRM001 01-19-2013 01:03 PM

Need Feedback on European Delivery Process
 
Hi all,
I am trying to get my car by doing the European Delivery and I am a little skeptical about asking these questions to the dealer. I live in Albuquerque, NM .

So, here are my questions, any feedback will be appreciated.

1) Are dealers willing to do this? It is my assumption, they would want you to take a car from their lot, wouldn't they? How much leverage do I have negotiating the final price of the car? In other words, do I have the same negotiating power as with one of their stock cars? Who gets the final word on a price for an ED car?

2) Once you confirm the process, how long does it take to get the car in Europe?

3) The official BMW website claims savings of about 7% by doing the ED, is this true?

4) How long does it take the car to arrive to USA once you tested in Europe?

5) Are there any charges, "hidden" or not, I should be aware of? Like customs, import fees, etc. and any idea approximately how much they are?

6) Last one. Promise. Are you able, during the time in Europe to take the car to other countries like Italy, Spain, etc? Do they have to be part of the EU?

I really appreciate your time and feedback on this. I really want to do this, and since I already had a trip planned with my mother, I wonder if the timing is right.

:)
Rgds,
CR

540gone 01-19-2013 01:29 PM

Before everyone starts flaming you, I suggest you read the Wiki at the top of this forum page. It answers virtually all of your questions, and many you haven't thought of yet.

Having said that, DO IT... it is an amazing experience. I have done 6 EDs, 3 Mercedes and 3 BMWs. The savings on a BMW should be around 10% off US MSRP all in if you deal with someone who is an experienced ED sales person and knows the drill.

BTW, I live in Santa Fe part of the year and my most recent ED, a 2011 E90 M3 is sitting in the garage there right now. After researching, feel free to PM me with any more specific questions.

Good luck, Bob

Popoemt 01-19-2013 01:47 PM

1) Are dealers willing to do this? It is my assumption, they would want you to take a car from their lot, wouldn't they? How much leverage do I have negotiating the final price of the car? In other words, do I have the same negotiating power as with one of their stock cars? Who gets the final word on a price for an ED car?

Yes dealers are willing to do this, use a board sponsor, since you're in NM try Greg Poland/Jon Schafer

2) Once you confirm the process, how long does it take to get the car in Europe?

Some people have done it within 5 weeks, usually it takes around 3months from when you order to when you pick up (it can be faster/slower)

3) The official BMW website claims savings of about 7% by doing the ED, is this true?

Yes, it can be more, go to bmwconfig.com and use the european delivery spec for building your car, it can be more based on incentives at the time you purchase.

4) How long does it take the car to arrive to USA once you tested in Europe?

It depends, being in NM you can prob get it 8-10 weeks later (getting your car on a truck, then a boat, customs, VPC etc all factor in to the time)

5) Are there any charges, "hidden" or not, I should be aware of? Like customs, import fees, etc. and any idea approximately how much they are?

BMW takes care of all the fees, no hidden charges

6) Last one. Promise. Are you able, during the time in Europe to take the car to other countries like Italy, Spain, etc? Do they have to be part of the EU?

Yes you can travel a lot Europe, but (always a but) you are limited in the time you can spend in Europe (I think it's a max of 14 days on their "free" insurance, you can extend it to 30 days (?) if you purchase their extended insurance.

I am in no way an expert, really only a novice, at this, as 540gone said, check the wiki out, read as much as you can on this forum, and contact Greg Poland/Jon Schafer and start your new car process! V/r, Tim

pharding 01-19-2013 04:43 PM

Kindly use search feature of this web site and you will find your answers there. It sheer laziness not to invest a few minutes of your time to do your own research before asking questions that have been discussed and answered literally thousands of times.

dkreidel 01-19-2013 05:10 PM

[QUOTE=pharding;7324624 It sheer laziness not to invest a few minutes of your time to do your own research before asking questions that have been discussed and answered literally thousands of times.[/QUOTE]

Actually, for someone who is unaccustomed to the ED page there's a lot of information! The link to the Wlki isn't as obvious to the new user as it is to us who know where to look on the landing page. It would likely help new users if the Wiki link were made more obvious on the landing page, and we might make more friends if we didn't insult them on their first post when they may simply have not noticed the Wiki link :)

I wonder if we could appeal to the administrator to somehow enhance the presence of the Wiki link on the ED landing page?

pharding 01-19-2013 09:33 PM

The search function works quite well for finding information in the posts also.

Gluhwein 01-20-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkreidel (Post 7324662)
Actually, for someone who is unaccustomed to the ED page there's a lot of information! The link to the Wlki isn't as obvious to the new user as it is to us who know where to look on the landing page. It would likely help new users if the Wiki link were made more obvious on the landing page, and we might make more friends if we didn't insult them on their first post when they may simply have not noticed the Wiki link :)

I wonder if we could appeal to the administrator to somehow enhance the presence of the Wiki link on the ED landing page?

Thank you. Last year I was a newbie too and there's just so much info to sort through. As tired as some seem to get with newbies' many questions, I tire of the smartass attitude some of the vets respond with. Nothing wrong with pointing them in the right direction but to imply they are lazy and stupid is really unfair.

MB330 01-20-2013 11:59 AM

delete

Popoemt 01-20-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB330 (Post 7325814)
- My wife get pregnant during ED -what should I do next? etc.


HAHAHAHA!!! ROFL...

The actual answer to that is "don't tell your girlfriend..."

That was pretty funny...

MB330 01-20-2013 12:11 PM

delete

CRM001 01-20-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 540gone (Post 7324323)
Before everyone starts flaming you, I suggest you read the Wiki at the top of this forum page. It answers virtually all of your questions, and many you haven't thought of yet.

Having said that, DO IT... it is an amazing experience. I have done 6 EDs, 3 Mercedes and 3 BMWs. The savings on a BMW should be around 10% off US MSRP all in if you deal with someone who is an experienced ED sales person and knows the drill.

BTW, I live in Santa Fe part of the year and my most recent ED, a 2011 E90 M3 is sitting in the garage there right now. After researching, feel free to PM me with any more specific questions.

Good luck, Bob

Thank You Bob, Popoemt, Gluhwein, and dkreidel. Specially to Bob for the warning about those "expert" smart assess like MB330 and Pharding...ha,ha!

In any case, I did not mean to create animosity of any kind, just like I did not like to be implied to be lazy or stupid. I am not lazy nor stupid. I am just trying to find and communicate with real people who has done this recently and be aware of what to expect. That's it.

I am also part of other posts, and no matter how stupid or how lazy someone may sound, before posting negative comments I just reserve my opinion and do not answered.

Having said that, I appreciate everyone who pointed me to the wiki search. I will do more research on line for some of my questions.

However, if you don't mind me popping some private questions, please let me know. I will really appreciate it.

Best Regards,
Claudio

dunderhi 01-20-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Popoemt (Post 7324349)

2) Once you confirm the process, how long does it take to get the car in Europe?

Some people have done it within 5 weeks, usually it takes around 3months from when you order to when you pick up (it can be faster/slower)

Or as little as 3 weeks as in the case of my 335d. :D

MB330 01-20-2013 05:32 PM

delete

Tanning machine 01-20-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkreidel (Post 7324662)
Actually, for someone who is unaccustomed to the ED page there's a lot of information! The link to the Wlki isn't as obvious to the new user as it is to us who know where to look on the landing page. It would likely help new users if the Wiki link were made more obvious on the landing page, and we might make more friends if we didn't insult them on their first post when they may simply have not noticed the Wiki link :)

I wonder if we could appeal to the administrator to somehow enhance the presence of the Wiki link on the ED landing page?

I agree with this. While the "wiki" link is at the top of the page, it's above where one would look ordinarily and the font is no more prominent.

I think it would be better as a "sticky" as the first thread, with a heading like:

"Frequently Asked Questions about ED" and then embed a link to the wiki.

The OP's questions are answered in the wiki, but the fact that he didn't find it first (and bothered to type out a bunch of questions) suggests it's not obvious enough.

MB330 01-20-2013 10:08 PM

delete

CRM001 01-21-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB330 (Post 7326741)
If person first came here and look at the top - he can see J.Spira post - Welcome to the European Delivery Forum - Please Read This First
can be a one way to start looking for answers.

As I see, and appreciate from other members trying to help, It seems several of us are not as smart as you are MB330. Now, I wonder if you could stay put and allow people to post without having a saying on this thread that I initiated. I, we, would really appreciated.

Thanks,

P.S. I didn't attack anyone I just stated the facts that you keep helping me prove...(kidding).

MB330 01-21-2013 09:41 AM

delete

cheikh82 01-21-2013 11:17 AM

If one don't want to help by answering a question that was already asked before, just don't answer then. Someone else will. Nobody forces you to click on a new thread.

CRM001 01-21-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheikh82 (Post 7327545)
If one don't want to help by answering a question that was already asked before, just don't answer then. Someone else will. Nobody forces you to click on a new thread.

Cheik82, thanks. That was exactly my point. Luckily for me, this guy sent me one last smart ass message and put me on his "ignore list"...geez, thanks God! Now I can communicate with some educated people. So, if you had done this before, and there is any point you would like to share via thread or private msg, please do so.
Thanks again,

Rgds,
Claudio

cheikh82 01-21-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRM001 (Post 7327743)
Cheik82, thanks. That was exactly my point. Luckily for me, this guy sent me one last smart ass message and put me on his "ignore list"...geez, thanks God! Now I can communicate with some educated people. So, if you had done this before, and there is any point you would like to share via thread or private msg, please do so.
Thanks again,

Rgds,
Claudio

Hey don't stress it. I just did ED back in September with a very knowledgeable CA that is a sponsor on this site (Adrian) that was answering lot of my questions. I've also asked a bunch on this forum and got great help. So ain't nothing wrong with asking. After doing your research, if you have more questions, you can just PM me and I will gladly help.

Cheers.

shakes 01-21-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRM001 (Post 7326118)

However, if you don't mind me popping some private questions, please let me know. I will really appreciate it.

Best Regards,
Claudio

We were all "new" here at some point. Obviously, your intention is just to get some information. It's a shame that people will often flame away rather than simply ignore your thread. Some of the members that like to haze newbies have a lot of ED experience and are a very helpful resource that is available to us but you have to take the good with the bad! I'm sure you will get answers to almost anything you can think of asking here.

SD Z4MR 01-21-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRM001 (Post 7327743)
Cheik82, thanks. That was exactly my point. Luckily for me, this guy sent me one last smart ass message and put me on his "ignore list"...geez, thanks God! Now I can communicate with some educated people. So, if you had done this before, and there is any point you would like to share via thread or private msg, please do so.

MB330 is very knowledgeable about both ED and European travel. I've met him and he's a nice guy. Sorry you guys didn't hit it off. BTW, English isn't his first language, so something may have gotten lost in the translation.

That said, try and bite your tongue and don't take things personally, even if they are. If you start sniping at other people and complaining, especially when you're a newbie, you may just find that people ignore you but don't bother telling you. Then you'll lose some good advice from the experienced people.

Incidentally, this is a public forum and the way we educate others and become educated ourselves is not by PMing info with individuals but by sharing it for everyone to see.

1985mb 01-21-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd z4mr (Post 7328266)
mb330 is very knowledgeable about both ed and european travel. I've met him and he's a nice guy. Sorry you guys didn't hit it off. Btw, english isn't his first language, so something may have gotten lost in the translation.

That said, try and bite your tongue and don't take things personally, even if they are. If you start sniping at other people and complaining, especially when you're a newbie, you may just find that people ignore you but don't bother telling you. Then you'll lose some good advice from the experienced people.

Incidentally, this is a public forum and the way we educate others and become educated ourselves is not by pming info with individuals but by sharing it for everyone to see.

+1

dunderhi 01-21-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD Z4MR (Post 7328266)
That said, try and bite your tongue and don't take things personally, even if they are. If you start sniping at other people and complaining, especially when you're a newbie, you may just find that people ignore you but don't bother telling you. Then you'll lose some good advice from the experienced people.

Incidentally, this is a public forum and the way we educate others and become educated ourselves is not by PMing info with individuals but by sharing it for everyone to see.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. We experienced forum members should be the wise and helpful contributors to these threads. I know I have answered the same questions on tire/wheel threads dozens of times. If someone mocks or attacks a newbie, then the newbie shouldn't be lectured for fighting back. A high post count doesn't give one the right to haze. :tsk:

Also PMs shouldn't be used for insults either, but they can helpful work-arounds to avoid public ridicule. I have had to use PMs to provide support to members in the past. If you are afraid that you are missing out on some good info, don't be afraid to ask a question - we are happy to help in a safe welcoming environment. ;)

CRM001 01-21-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunderhi (Post 7328863)
Sorry, but I have to disagree. We experienced forum members should be the wise and helpful contributors to these threads. I know I have answered the same questions on tire/wheel threads dozens of times. If someone mocks or attacks a newbie, then the newbie shouldn't be lectured for fighting back. A high post count doesn't give one the right to haze. :tsk:

Also PMs shouldn't be used for insults either, but they can helpful work-arounds to avoid public ridicule. I have had to use PMs to provide support to members in the past. If you are afraid that you are missing out on some good info, don't be afraid to ask a question - we are happy to help in a safe welcoming environment. ;)


Hi again, and sorry but I could not find the answer for this on the Wiki, and if I did it seems I am just confused on the following:

In bmwconfig.com I saved a configuration which by default displays (on the right) U.S.Port of Entry cost, MSRP and Invoice, but the drop down has the option for "European Delivery Munich pick up" (which is cheaper). Which is the cost I should be looking for since I am "picking up the car" in Europe but they will deliver it here to the dealer in the U.S. http://s1.bimmerfest.com/forums/images/smilies/iono.gif

Thanks again.
Claudio


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms