Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   2008+ LCI fog lights replacement. (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671277)

greco2000 01-20-2013 07:08 PM

2008+ LCI fog lights replacement.
 
Hey guys, I picked up a set of the newest LED fogs. Going to install then this week. Anyone know if I need to go behind the wheel well or do these lights pop out completely from the front.

Didn't see a DIY for this.

roseng 01-20-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greco2000 (Post 7326446)
Hey guys, I picked up a set of the newest LED fogs. Going to install then this week. Anyone know if I need to go behind the wheel well or do these lights pop out completely from the front.

Didn't see a DIY for this.

I did HIDs on my fogs and they are a bear to get to. They do not pop out from the front. I put my car on a lift and went in from the bottom.

If you're game you can remove The bumper and get in from there too.

There is even a technique for getting in from the wheel well.


http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht+replacement
See post #13

There are several posts about getting in there.

greco2000 01-20-2013 08:32 PM

Thanks champ. I was hoping I didnt have to do all that. LOL.

I wasnt sure if they changed it with the 2008+ LCI upgrade...



Quote:

Originally Posted by roseng (Post 7326480)
I did HIDs on my fogs and they are a bear to get to. They do not pop out from the front. I put my car on a lift and went in from the bottom.

If you're game you can remove The bumper and get in from there too.

There is even a technique for getting in from the wheel well.


http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht+replacement
See post #13

There are several posts about getting in there.


roseng 01-20-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greco2000 (Post 7326587)
Thanks champ. I was hoping I didnt have to do all that. LOL....

Yea, me too... ;)

reytran 01-21-2013 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roseng (Post 7326773)
Yea, me too... ;)

Sorry to OP.
This is out of topic, but Roseng what BMW dealer you prefer in SoCal? I'm getting tired of finding one that really make me happy with the service department. Crevier was good but it's in OC, quite a distance.

GetMeABeer 01-21-2013 06:50 AM

Are you guys doing the brand new square/rectangle looking fogs or just replacing the old style round with LED's? Love the look of the new LED fogs/daytime running lights and the new angel eyes are kick ass.

But so far, happy enough with the ones I currently have on the 05. Might change them out, but I'll probably get a new 6 before I do any major mods, I'm lazy like that!

roseng 01-21-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reytran (Post 7326986)
Sorry to OP.
This is out of topic, but Roseng what BMW dealer you prefer in SoCal? I'm getting tired of finding one that really make me happy with the service department. Crevier was good but it's in OC, quite a distance.

The dealers are almost all the same. Big overhead and big expenses so big repair charges. Find a good indy and you'll save a fortune. :thumbup: That's what I did. Look here for help.

roseng 01-21-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GetMeABeer (Post 7327084)
Are you guys doing the brand new square/rectangle looking fogs or just replacing the old style round with LED's? Love the look of the new LED fogs/daytime running lights and the new angel eyes are kick ass.

But so far, happy enough with the ones I currently have on the 05. Might change them out, but I'll probably get a new 6 before I do any major mods, I'm lazy like that!

I just did the bulbs. I've not seen any aftermarket LED's for this housing that are bright enough for me. I went with HIDs that fit the same socket. Not sure how you would change to the LED type.

greco2000 01-21-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GetMeABeer (Post 7327084)
Are you guys doing the brand new square/rectangle looking fogs or just replacing the old style round with LED's? Love the look of the new LED fogs/daytime running lights and the new angel eyes are kick ass.

But so far, happy enough with the ones I currently have on the 05. Might change them out, but I'll probably get a new 6 before I do any major mods, I'm lazy like that!

I bought these ones. They are supposed to be the brightest... we'll see once installed. Right now, I dont even use the fogs because they completely dont match the colour of my 6000K HID bulbs, so anything is better then nothing! Im more worried about colour matching!

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjEyWDgxNg...iSBw~~60_3.JPG

petriej 01-21-2013 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Take the bumper off. I know it sucks, but it's the easiest way to get to the fogs. I had Cold Weather Package, so I had washer fluid in the bumper for the headlights. This means there's a tank in the bumper in the way of one of the fogs, and hoses for all the fluid, so I had to be careful not to take the bumper too far from the car. Luckily there's plenty of room with the bumper just sitting in front. I put LED foglights in mine. Cheaper, and required no rewiring for HID ballasts. Only issue I came across -- and it never bothered me -- was on startup the computer would check the foglight status and blink them a bit.


Here's a pic.

roseng 01-21-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greco2000 (Post 7327251)
I dont even use the fogs because they completely dont match the colour of my 6000K HID bulbs, so anything is better then nothing! Im more worried about colour matching!

Exactly! I went with 6000K HID's and MTEC 6000K headlamps. I really like that they match. :bigpimp:

roseng 01-21-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petriej (Post 7327554)
Take the bumper off. I know it sucks, but it's the easiest way to get to the fogs. I had Cold Weather Package, so I had washer fluid in the bumper for the headlights. This means there's a tank in the bumper in the way of one of the fogs, and hoses for all the fluid, so I had to be careful not to take the bumper too far from the car. Luckily there's plenty of room with the bumper just sitting in front. I put LED foglights in mine. Cheaper, and required no rewiring for HID ballasts. Only issue I came across -- and it never bothered me -- was on startup the computer would check the foglight status and blink them a bit.


Here's a pic.

If you go in from the bottom you can get around the tank issue. I had the bumper off for the LCI directional upgrade and I'm not certain that that is much easier.
If you remove the bumper just move away from the car slightly and you'll have access and enough hose length. Out some carpet under it to prevent damage when resting it on the ground.
HID's that I got needed no rewiring but I did have to reverse the polarity on the plugs so use caution on polarity. No error messages at all. They cost about $125 for the pair if I remember.

GetMeABeer 01-22-2013 02:17 PM

Hey do you have a link to where you bought them from? 9006 6k right? They're plug and play right, no additional hardware needed? Post some pics when you get a chance after you get them in. I'm going LED crazy now, going for them if they have the look I want.

Anyone do their interior? I wonder if it gives off light that too bright white look.
http://www.bimmian.com/IXB/63

GetMeABeer 01-22-2013 02:17 PM

Hey do you have a link to where you bought them from? 9006 6k right? They're plug and play right, no additional hardware needed? Post some pics when you get a chance after you get them in. I'm going LED crazy now, going for them if they have the look I want.

Anyone do their interior? I wonder if it gives off light that too bright white look.
http://www.bimmian.com/IXB/63

roseng 01-22-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GetMeABeer (Post 7330374)
Hey do you have a link to where you bought them from? 9006 6k right? They're plug and play right, no additional hardware needed? Post some pics when you get a chance after you get them in. I'm going LED crazy now, going for them if they have the look I want.

Anyone do their interior? I wonder if it gives off light that too bright white look.
http://www.bimmian.com/IXB/63

I went with these guys for my lights. I did the interiors as well. The interior LEDs are blueish white and not too bright. I did all except the visor mirror lights. The ladies can't fix their make up with LEDs :D

gregb 01-22-2013 03:39 PM

I also changed out all my interior bulbs for LED bulbs (the Ziza LED kit from ECS Tuning) - whiter bright light and I like the result. See pics and extensive discussion of pro's and cons on this thread.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...hlight=led+kit

I also changed out the fog light bulbs but dropped the bumper to do it - it was real easy to drop the bumper following the DIY in our six DIY section. Here's another thread discussing the fog's and angel eyes with pics.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ighlight=gregb

greco2000 01-22-2013 04:19 PM

Mine take H11 fogs

reytran 02-01-2013 05:11 PM

I can't reach the foglight housing from behind the wheels - driver side, the passenger side was easy. I think the windshield wiper tank was blocking my hand.

BTW, I checked some website, the H11 and H8 are interchangeable. Is that mean the Angel Eyes and Fog can use the same bulb?

For Angel Eyes, my Weisslicht is abit hard to install and didn't turn out well. The smaller rings are extremely bright while the bigger one is invisible in the day.

I'll give a shot at iJDMtoy for my fod and Mtech for my Angel Eyes.

reytran 02-10-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greco2000 (Post 7327251)
I bought these ones. They are supposed to be the brightest... we'll see once installed. Right now, I dont even use the fogs because they completely dont match the colour of my 6000K HID bulbs, so anything is better then nothing! Im more worried about colour matching!

How's the result?

greco2000 02-10-2013 11:31 PM

Way to cold to attempt this right now. Also... Didn't know the extent of the job this was going to be. Starting to reconsider! Lol. We'll see in the spring when I paint the callipers. I may do it then!

reytran 02-12-2013 02:55 PM

Hi, today after the long time irritating with my Weisslischt Angel Eyes bulb, with the issue that one ring is extremely bright and the bigger ring almost invisible. I actually took it out and replaced it with the foglight. It's turn out pretty well and match with my 6000K HID. Plus it's really easy to do the job since the design of Weisslistch help the bulb to tighten it in the foglight housing itself. Moreover, the bulb come with a tiny ballast, size identical to an AA battery. Just for the information you might also wanna try it out.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms