Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   How often do you wash your car? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671320)

07 E63650i 01-20-2013 11:19 PM

How often do you wash your car?

I try my best to wash my baby once a week, as black gets dirty after you drive it around for a few hours. Chime in guys. :thumbup:

GetMeABeer 01-21-2013 06:26 AM

When it's new, twice a month. When it's old, once every 3 months or when it's super dirty. The older it gets, the less I care.

I've only owned silver and black cars. Silver is no maintenance. Black is impossible to keep clean, a week and it's dirty, but love black the most. Had a light grey once, but it always felt like a chick color. So other than a nice silver, like Wesley Snipes says, "always bet on black." Can't remember what horrible movie that line was from lol.

Anyway, my color choices seem to be broadening lately, saw a really nice black/maroon color on the new beemers, not sure the name, but someone had a beautiful new 7 in that color on the board. That iced-out brown is nice too. Of course, highland green on a mustang.

The 6 might be a different story, one of the more beautiful cars I've owned. The lines on this thing are perfect. So far had her about a month, washed it once. Fully detailed when I got her though. The black sapphire metallic seems to have some specs of blue in the color.

roseng 01-21-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 07 E63650i (Post 7326847)
I try my best to wash my baby once a week, as black gets dirty after you drive it around for a few hours. Chime in guys. :thumbup:

I have a hand car wash near me that's pretty high end. I have unlimited washes for $35.00 a month. I will go 2 times a week when I'm in town. I also have the same for my fifes F10. :thumbup:

ch650 01-21-2013 12:38 PM

I wash mine weekly and finish it up with a detail spray wax whether it needs it or not. It has never seen a car wash.

One time the dealer washed it when it was in for a routine maintenance, but when I saw their detail department drop a wash rag, pick it up and continue without rinsing it, I made up a sign for the dash which said DO NOT WASH and made the S/A write the same thing on the repair order.

bedstuyguy86 01-21-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ch650 (Post 7327686)
I wash mine weekly and finish it up with a detail spray wax whether it needs it or not. It has never seen a car wash.

One time the dealer washed it when it was in for a routine maintenance, but when I saw their detail department drop a wash rag, pick it up and continue without rinsing it, I made up a sign for the dash which said DO NOT WASH and made the S/A write the same thing on the repair order.

Never let the dealer wash your car lol. I wash mine once a week in the warmer months. In the winter, I'll be lucky if I get her washed once every 2-3 weeks because I only do hand washes.

rebel.ranter 01-21-2013 04:00 PM

Depends on the weather & time available. I usually wash it every week, with a lamb's wool mit & 2 bucket method. Wheels washed with separate mit.
I usually give it a coat of Dodo Juice Red Mist after every wash & seal the wheels with a spray sealant.
On the bigger details it gets far more attention, that happens every 2-3 months. These days the gap between washes is stretching out to 2 weeks. Weather is bad not great here at the minute.

blakedanatural 01-21-2013 04:50 PM

Washing car

I wash mine two days a week. Black looks so good when it is clean and so dirty when its not .lol

blake:)

roseng 01-21-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blakedanatural (Post 7328190)
i wash mine two days a week. Black looks so good when it is clean and so dirty when its not .lol

+1

Yorgi 01-21-2013 06:39 PM

I hand wash only, none of my cars have seen a car-wash. Once a week in the summer and maybe once every 2-4 weeks in the winter.

I detail/seal the paint in the fall and try to get it to last the entire winter.

FredoinSF 01-21-2013 10:27 PM

Apparently not often enough.
Can go a month or more for the two garage queens. Daily drivers every 2 to 4 weeks.
I always hand wash myself and all four cars get full day detail a couple times a year. Getting harder and harder to keep up so four cars is my limit. May go down to three.

amennrahh 01-22-2013 04:10 AM

When im home, once or twice a week. I always use showroom shine wax. My car will never see a car wash.

645/333 01-22-2013 06:48 AM

Hi! I clay bar and detail my car in the spring and again before winter, use top end paintwork sealers and carnauba wax on top, every 6 weeks.
During the week I will use a detailing wax liquid (Meguiars) and wipe my car down after every journey ish,( as most is dirt black dust, here in the UK is rubber from tyres) ensuring I have swilled all the grit off during the summer and in winter will wash down to remove all road salt and wipe down, clearly depends on how cold as the water freezes.....I hate road salt and will weather permitting will hose down the underside of the car once a week!!!

My car shivers when it see's any type of car wash, then it tells me it loves me because we don't visit them Lol

Laslonimne 01-22-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorgi (Post 7328439)
I hand wash only, none of my cars have seen a car-wash. Once a week in the summer and maybe once every 2-4 weeks in the winter.

Ditto, but rarely more than two weeks between winter washes. Hand washes are followed with Zaino Z-6. Even so, damn swirls just won't stay away. So clay bar and buff every spring and another coat of Z-2 every few washes.

07 E63650i 01-22-2013 10:43 PM

Good to hear that many of you hand wash your cars. Hand washing my baby takes a good hour, then drying and waxing could be another 1.5 to 2 hours, but it's worth it when your neighbors can't stop looking at the car:D

07 E63650i 01-22-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blakedanatural (Post 7328190)
I wash mine two days a week. Black looks so good when it is clean and so dirty when its not .lol

Agreed! This is why my dad insisted that we only get black colors on these cars :thumbup:

bimmerzone 01-23-2013 11:29 AM

once a week... even when its crazy cold out there....lol.....
important thing is to wash it correctly too!

tk123 01-23-2013 08:55 PM

at least once a week........