Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Stock exhaust louder (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671359)

nick11 01-21-2013 06:23 AM

Stock exhaust louder
 
I currently have a 2011 335i that is unhooked the solenoid that closes off 1 exhaust pipe below 3 k rpms so it is always dual exhaust. The car sounds great at start up and driving around town. We test drove a 2013 535 yesterday and are working on a deal to buy it but my wife wants it to sound like her 335 and says the 5 is too quiet. Can I do this same mod to the 535?

RambleJ 01-21-2013 06:32 AM

Nope, the 5 is too quiet. You will need a new exhaust to get any more noise iout of this car.

getz 01-21-2013 07:27 AM

Just drill some holes in your mufflers. That should do it.



Not srs.

Mr. Grumpy 01-21-2013 10:32 AM

I'm removing the center silencer tomorrow, I'll let you know how the exhaust sound changes.

Runon MD1 01-21-2013 10:52 AM

Stock Exhaust Louder
 
Please...isn't the world loud enough?

How about a degree of consideration for those around your vehicle?

There's always a NASCAR or similar event, a heavy metal rock concert, a local construction site, sports bar or a nearby hospital or firehouse if you want noise.

I/we would appreciate it.

Thanks much for your consideration of the above. I am certain that there are things that bother you, and would hope that if you express your concerns to those involved in a civilized manner, they would grant you the same courtesy.

Now you can always "flame" me, but, if you decide to do so, it's "on" you.

Richard

footprints. 01-21-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick11 (Post 7327120)
I currently have a 2011 335i that is unhooked the solenoid that closes off 1 exhaust pipe below 3 k rpms so it is always dual exhaust. The car sounds great at start up and driving around town. We test drove a 2013 535 yesterday and are working on a deal to buy it but my wife wants it to sound like her 335 and says the 5 is too quiet. Can I do this same mod to the 535?

I am also coming from a 335i and had the same mod -- can vouch for the great sound at no cost. I would also love to know whether it's possible with the F10 535i...

BigDeep1 01-21-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Grumpy (Post 7327565)
I'm removing the center silencer tomorrow, I'll let you know how the exhaust sound changes.

I am stoked to here your results. If you can do a before and after video, that would be awesome :thumbup:.

OP, I agree with the wifey that the 335 has a nice throaty intake and deeper more pronounced exhaust. I agree that it definitely adds to the driving experience, excitment and makes you feel more connected with the car. OTOH, I can also appreciate the sweet luxury that the F10 successfully delivers (as it is supposed to and intended to do).

When an intake finally comes out (BMS is working on one now I believe), that will help to get that throaty sound.

Mr. Grumpy 01-21-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDeep1 (Post 7328015)
I am stoked to here your results. If you can do a before and after video, that would be awesome :thumbup:.

Will do.

Slaymaster 01-21-2013 06:05 PM

Don't mess with the 5's exhaust. If you must, buy some baseball cards and clothes pins and pin some cards on your spokes for additional sound.

Die Wolfe 01-21-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick11 (Post 7327120)
I currently have a 2011 335i that is unhooked the solenoid that closes off 1 exhaust pipe below 3 k rpms so it is always dual exhaust. The car sounds great at start up and driving around town. We test drove a 2013 535 yesterday and are working on a deal to buy it but my wife wants it to sound like her 335 and says the 5 is too quiet. Can I do this same mod to the 535?

I'm in nor cal too and my wife is unhappy with the Magnaflow catback I just had installed because she thinks it's TOO loud. I'm willing to sell it to you if you want. PM me if you're interested.

5seriesHB 01-21-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Die Wolfe (Post 7328934)
I'm in nor cal too and my wife is unhappy with the Magnaflow catback I just had installed because she thinks it's TOO loud. I'm willing to sell it to you if you want. PM me if you're interested.

Oh crap!
Sorry to hear this.
but good news for OP
Op buy it now, before he has second thoughts:thumbup:

Die Wolfe 01-22-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5seriesHB (Post 7329019)
Oh crap!
Sorry to hear this.
but good news for OP
Op buy it now, before he has second thoughts:thumbup:

Lol, you're telling me!

footprints. 01-22-2013 08:52 AM

That was the beauty of the exhaust mod for my 335i...simply pull a plug from a harness accessible in the trunk and voila: instantly better sound. (ensured that both butterfly valves were always open) But if I ever got bored of the louder sound I could just plug it back in. I am hoping the 535i has a similar harness...just haven't bothered to look for it yet.

Mr. Grumpy 01-22-2013 11:15 AM

The 535i doesn't have the exhaust actuator, only the 550i does.

Donm 01-24-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Grumpy (Post 7330046)
The 535i doesn't have the exhaust actuator, only the 550i does.

Is it a vacuum connection or electric?

Me want louder, UGH!

Needsdecaf 01-24-2013 06:42 PM

Vacuum, but the golf tee mod doesn't work as I understand it.

Donm 01-24-2013 07:03 PM

:cry:

Donm 01-24-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf (Post 7336151)
Vacuum, but the golf tee mod doesn't work as I understand it.

:cry:

PittX52011 01-24-2013 07:11 PM

Where does it have in 550. I want to do it. Do you have any link or video. Thanks.

BigDeep1 01-24-2013 07:12 PM

Mr Grumpy, did you remove the silencer yet?

Mr. Grumpy 01-24-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDeep1 (Post 7336217)
Mr Grumpy, did you remove the silencer yet?

I haven't had the time. Hopefully I can get to it next week.

Mr. Grumpy 02-09-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDeep1 (Post 7336217)
Mr Grumpy, did you remove the silencer yet?

Finany after a busy couple of weeks I was able to remove the center resonator today. To my disappointment, the sound only change a mere 3 decibels (according to my decibel meter app). You can definetly hear a diference when the engine is under load but is not the sound I've been looking for.

I'm thinking about ordering the BMW performance exhaust, hopefully I'll get the tone that I've been looking for with those.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms